1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/30/19 12:32 p.m.

Just when I was starting to think that we might not make 2020 with the thunderbird.... Man I HAVE to be there to see this. Also 2 LS Corvairs.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/30/19 1:09 p.m.

Cant' tell y'all how nice it is to sit in the bleachers for a while and admire the new gladiators showing up for their first day of work! Looks like a full program heading into the 2020 Chimera Challenge.

Pete

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 1:16 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

You’ll be back. cheeky

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/19 1:23 p.m.

Beware the auto computer not working with a stick shift.

Of course, there's always a way around that. Megasquirt? Stock 5 speed computer? Fool the auto computer?

I'm sure you already thought of that. Heady stuff, this.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Don’t assume I’ve thoughtvif anything. All input welcome!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

The thinking is the easy part, naturally.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/30/19 2:12 p.m.

The automatic is likely the easy button with the changed orientation of the engine. Getting a shift mechanism right could be one of those details that consume a lot of effort.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

Which orientation?

The E-153 mates to the 2GR, and sits in the same location as it originally did in the MR2. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 2:37 p.m.

I think he means front to rear. I remember vaugely from reading up preparing for the mr2 build that the trans is the same but the shifter mechanism is on the opposite side of the trans. So you're either finding a shift mechanism for the trans end from an mr2, or fabbing something up.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Right. 

I’m looking for an MR2 e153, or I’ll reverse the linkage (which isn’t hard). 

Pretty likely I’ll stick with the auto, but it doesn’t hurt to look. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 7:38 p.m.

Part of the story of this car is not gonna be what I am building, but where. 

I said earlier that I have no shop, then showed pics of the car on a lift in a very nice shop. Yeah, that’s the shop I USED to have. 

Since then, I have moved to another state, and I brought the car with me. I have no shop (and sadly no lift anymore). 

So, I am renting a shipping container. No electricity. It will be my “shop” for building my Challenge car. 

Matilda’s new home. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 7:40 p.m.

The Victim didn’t quite fit. I fixed it. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 7:42 p.m.

Cleanup has begun. 

She’s got mice in her rear. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 7:47 p.m.

Like I said, dragons etched in the glass. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 8:31 p.m.

I think a 300hp engine in a car as light as a MEuropa2 would probably work better with the automatic, at least for Challenge purposes.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/30/19 8:47 p.m.
Woody said:

I think a 300hp engine in a car as light as a MEuropa2 would probably work better with the automatic, at least for Challenge purposes.

I mean, wreck racing's insight was 250-ish(?) auto and open diff.  Rear weight bias should minimize the lack of lsd.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/30/19 9:34 p.m.

This is great news. Now I understand our discussion on the AW11's earlier this month. I did end up buying the AW11 with the 3VZ-FE swap in it, so I'll be able to give you some advise on what was done on the car to make it work in the AW11 chassis. I believe the 1MZ-FE and  2GR are all similar in regards to the physical installation (requiring either an AW11  SC E51 or 2nd gen E153 transmission). The bigger issue with the more modern V6 is going to be the electronics, apparently the earlier V6 engines are pretty simple and you can use the stock ECU's, but they also don't make 300 HP.

I think you have a great basis for this project. Watching with anticipation and happy to give you any help if possible.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 9:45 p.m.
WSVreX said:

You should give that to Stampie so he can utilize it to make another Challenge trophy!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/19 9:49 p.m.

In reply to dherr :

That’s great!  Sounds like a hoot!

I’m assuming I may able to take a few shortcuts. Any clearance issues, etc in a normal AW11 really won’t be an issue for me. 

For example, I’m considering the entire subframe including the engine and trans. That wouldn’t work in a typical AW11, but I might just be able to incorporate the entire cradle under a pair of box flares. In a “normal” AW11 GR swap, the engine would have to be mated with an MR2 trans, custom axles, etc. I may be able to use the entire setup from the Avalon. 

We shall see...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 10:13 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
WSVreX said:

You should give that to Stampie so he can utilize it to make another Challenge trophy!

No, that's a bad Pete.  Stampie isn't allowed to make any more trophies 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/19 10:39 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I had a vision of overall winner bleeding out at the podium. Funny it wasn't Paul. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
12/30/19 10:52 p.m.

The fact that you are doing this in a shipping container puts things in perspective for me. No more excuses. Just get s*** done

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 6:56 a.m.

In reply to Norma66-Brent :

I didn't think about the smell.

I've learned that a shipping container is not a very nice place to hang out when you lock yourself in a metal box with a car that has been immersed in mold and mouse piss.  Especially on a rainy day.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 6:59 a.m.

The crap coming out of this car doesn’t look much like car parts. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 7:00 a.m.

Paul going to work on his Challenge car:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CSv0W7V9cc20RTwLQc0sWfEmxDLQyfWhRG34YeC8MCOCE0aJb0AS4KdKjVlKZkWQ