1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 7:07 a.m.

This is the only car I’ve ever worked on that I felt gloves were not optional. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/31/19 7:12 a.m.
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 7:38 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thanks!  It's good to be loved!

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/19 7:47 a.m.

I think stripping the chassis outside and then a power wash is a must do first step. I am glad you sold the black AW11, would have been a shame to cut it up. The one you using is perfect :-)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 7:59 a.m.

In reply to dherr :

Yeah, I couldn't do it.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
12/31/19 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Is this the one you had Pete?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/31/19 1:05 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I woulda. Learned that lesson with the Molvo.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/19 1:43 p.m.
SVreX said:

Paul going to work on his Challenge car:

I've worn a few of those suits. It's less fun than you might imagine.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
12/31/19 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Woody : If, by less, you mean absolutely no fun at all, I concur wholeheartedly...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/19 1:49 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Is this the one you had Pete?

No, it’s the one I wish I had!

My 73 Twin Cam parts car ended up at Wire Wheel, after a brief stop at the Mitty with GRM. The yellow 72 Twin Cam is with another(though inactive) GRMer from back home. I actually contacted him recently & he’s done a bit of work to it. The body is off the old rusted chassis, he has the Zetec bolted to the trans & set in place on the new chassis, and he’s started bolting up the suspension - though he said he’s trying to figure out how to swap in Miata uprights. He’s done some other work like getting the door hinge pins out, which isn’t an easy task, and other similarly unglorious jobs. 

I’d like to give a Europa a chance again, but I’m thinking I’d prefer an S2, probably with an(easier) engine swap, like something from an 80’s Renault. 

kellym
kellym New Reader
12/31/19 2:01 p.m.

Check our dpcars dot net - he designed and built a tube frame for an Europa, maybe some inspiration for you

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/31/19 2:23 p.m.

In reply to kellym :

Ooooo......that Europa frame is pretty.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 3:16 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I agree. 

But I think I see 5 bends in the main hoop totaling more than 300*...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/31/19 3:21 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Easily rectified.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 3:28 p.m.

How?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/31/19 3:35 p.m.

Run the rocker area tube back a few more inches, eliminate the forward kink in the main hoop and drop straight down. Even the kink at the top-center of the hoop could be straight lined, or gently curve the whole width of the top.

Alternatively, you could build  the sides from square tubing and have two parallel rails, then weld the main hoop on the top rail. Tell the tech inspector the square rails are the chassis. I've seen Trans-Am cars done that way.

I'd bet the DPCars chassis would pass SCCA tech as is.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 3:43 p.m.

If the rocker area tube extended further, the main hoop would go through the firewall. 

A Europa is really tight. 

I’m not an expert in this... You may be right. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/31/19 3:50 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I'm not aware of a rule that would prevent me from passing the main hoop vertically through the firewall. The DPCars shell has the floor and firewall removed, so they can put a metal firewall wherever it suits them. If you want to retain the stock Europa wall then you'll have to contour the cage to be a s close to the structure as possible, or you'll just be rattling your helmet on the cage constantly. Start looking at Europa race cars, or Spec Miatas to see what kind of cage contours are out there.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 3:56 p.m.

Stock firewall is meaningless- it’s cardboard. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/31/19 3:58 p.m.

Note where the main hoop is on this EP Europa. It appears to be entirely outside the cockpit.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/19 6:13 p.m.

Colin Chapman!  Lotus!  Rusty nasty Europa....  uh oh.  You can bet I'm in for the show!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/19 6:25 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

There’s no such thing as a rusty Europa! cheeky

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/1/20 9:32 a.m.
SVreX said:

When I saw the design work Nocones was doing for his 360, I knew he had a special talent for design that I do not have. 

So, behind the scenes I solicited him to help me with the designs for this car. 

We are gonna push each other. Hopefully, it will lead to 2 different Nocones radical designs sitting side by side at the Challenge!

The holidays have slowed things down, but here is the initial reveal of Version 1 of Nocones’ design for this car:

The final version will be even more radical, but I’m really excited to have his help, and be off and running with this!

I'm seriously digging your bodywork plans, and can't wait to see the "more radical" iteration.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/20 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Me too!

But that part is completely out of my hands... I’ll leave that to Nocones!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/1/20 5:21 p.m.

For inspiration...  

and....

and....

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
14RAUz6gaFTBJvzYGTGwrbxNZRrl6KpEZszNVBSAStC5dprZEJmk4WQxU4nUEKMy