1 2 3 4
RedGT
RedGT Dork
6/12/20 10:12 p.m.

Yep, he was. I couldn't get excited about the 3 hr drive each way, maybe later in the year.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
6/16/20 3:59 p.m.

Ran the event.  Had fun.  Car performed well.  Great to be back in the seat and pushing something hard after so long with no IRL motorsports.  I was giggling every lap holding a slide at the top of 2nd exiting horseshoe.  I scared the crap out of myself chucking it into a corner over curbs at ~84 mph.  I think it needs to remain an autox car until I get real safety gear in it.

I love it every time I drive it and every time I look at it, but at the same time it doesn't feel like it's a long term keeper. and it feels like it's sitting a lot lately due to the whole COVID thing.  But daaaaaaamn does it look good in the driveway, it has really grown on me.  The slot it occupies in my garage has traditionally been a fun car I turn over every 6-18 months, and we just passed the one-year anniversary with this.  I keep thinking of writing up an ad and seeing if someone wants to give me money for it.  I don't think I am going to end up building it into a full blown track car or hillclimb car soon enough that I want to keep it.  I've got my eye on a different silly autocross build idea instead, and the itch for something new.  idk.  Indecisive.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/17/20 9:57 a.m.

I feel the same way when I have a "spare" car.  I got rid of my old race car because it mostly sat on the lift, I'd use it less than a week a year.  The 911 I use more, since it's got a real back seat.  Well, one my son can use at least.  However with the lack of safety equipment in it I'm not comfortable with it on the track, especially since it's far more powerful than the race car it replaced.

So I mostly auto-x it.  I'd love to use it daily more but the lack of covered parking at my office and the threat of hail here stops me from doing that.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/11/20 10:52 a.m.

It's for sale.  Made the decision last week to sell it and sit on the money for a bit while shopping for something else probably in spring.  Then a potential replacement that is better suited to my current activities and schedule popped up 2 miles away so i've posted the camaro in a few more places and seems like a good amount of interest in it.

Did the brakes on Saturday.  It stops great again, better than the old pads at normal temps in fact.  I suspect that what came off were Hawk HP+ pads and I put on HPS.  Still needs a better brake bleed to get all the old fluid out of there, I will do that this week...or someone may come and take it away at any moment.

The headliner began sagging and a replacement is 3+ months away from every mfgr i called.  casually looking for a partout car replacement but any OEM one is also going to fail soon so....yeah.  And again, car might be gone in a day or two, who knows.

After the brake job was done, one guy who was going to come see it rescheduled, leaving me with an evening free for 'car stuff'.  I went out and did about 75 hard back road miles, well over an hour of driving.  I really freaking love this car.  It's quick, lively, fun, predictable....and hilariously loud and nasty and violent in all the best ways.  What a blast.  I'm just not the right caretaker for it at this time.  It needs to be used, not just sit in the garage while i race a miata instead.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/20 11:16 a.m.

I have had good luck re-doing headliners myself with fabric from a fabric store. I got some at Joanne for doing a Mini Cooper S a few years ago for really cheap (lots of coupons can be found online). It was specifically advertised as headliner material. It was surprisingly easy with some careful application of 3M fabric adhesive. Not sure if it is an option for you but may be worth looking into. GLWS. Cool car.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/11/20 11:19 a.m.

Yeah, that's the next step, i was hoping to pick up a parts car headliner board first so i don't risk ruining the original, it still looks 'ok'.  Already bought the adhesive!

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
8/11/20 3:36 p.m.

They all sag - foam degrades and material comes away from the backing board.  I actually ordered mine from Rockauto when I replaced it last year.  It was a pretty good fit and would have been an easy job if it wasn't for the roll bar.

Good luck with the sale!

kallikak
kallikak New Reader
8/12/20 5:43 p.m.

I'm the previous owner. Glad to find this thread and see it has been taken care of. I hope whoever gets it next will do the same. 

Had I known that the 4th gen was going to move to CAM-T, I might have reconsidered selling it. I ran it with 18x12s and 335s all around. I challenge anyone to find a better car for CAM-T for the money. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/26/20 10:29 a.m.
RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/26/20 10:35 a.m.

And it's gone.  Sounded great driving away.  I'm going to remember this one for a long time.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/28/20 9:57 a.m.

....and today's blishift shirt could not have been more perfect.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3t9fd5AAqM8Y8K8WbbxL2sTPbEVoZ52bJgfnQIVKRTC9pM4pnYVWoolVQ5uqNunp