1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/22 10:19 p.m.

During the Snopacolypse Season 3, I got a wild idea and decided that I needed a real off-road capable vehicle, and settled on a 16-year old Porsche: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/i-should-buy-a-16-year-old-138k-mile-porsche-from-a-sketchy-used-car-lot-in-a-snowstorm-right/190316/page3/#post3391307 . As told in the thread, the original one that caught my fancy had a milkshake in the engine and was not to be, however, I went to look at another one, this one an 06, and bought it.

Meet Jalapeno! It's a 2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium (yeah yeah, I replaced a black Flex Titanium with a black Porsche Titanium) with the 4.5L V8, AWD, 6-speed Tiptronic auto, and the most important bit, the 2-speed transfer case and locking front differential. The 955/957 generation Cayenne is a true off-roader, so much so that it has a dry sump oil system from the factory. The V6 ones, while available with a manual, are VR6 which doesn't interest me. The GTS is rad, especially with the 6-speed manual, but they are both out of my price range and with the body kit they sit too low to be off-road capable. The Turbo / Turbo S interest me a LOT, but they do have a lot more maintenance (and issues) and come with (an honestly good, but superfluous for my needs) air suspension as standard.

This S has what you want for real off roading in the steel coil spring suspension, as there are a multitude of lift kits available for it so you can do this:

That is the 2008 Cayenne Transsyberia, a factory off-road package that is stupid rare (600 made, only 102 for the US) but is based on, you guessed it, an S with the coil spring suspension. It was also only built in silver and black, so mine is a good one to make a tribute with.

Anyway, on to the build!

This is the third car I've bought from a shady used car lot on 82nd in Portland (a whole street of car lots that are perpetually new yet always run by the same guys). 

It has a full aftermarket exhaust from the downpipes back with Magnaflow mufflers that sounds GLORIOUS. Here, have a listen:

Right? The 4.5L V8 makes 340HP stock, and this one has the aforementioned exhaust, and maybe some other mods. I found a signal booster dongle inside and it has drilled/slotted rotors that I've found so far. In an unscientific test in Mexico it kept up with a supercharged 3.0L Audi S4... The service records included show 3 warranty repairs, a full power steering re-do (this one has the optional variable-ratio rack), and the dreaded cardan shaft replacement. 

The next day we took it out in the snow to see what it could do.

Even with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires (fantastic performance all season, but not an off-road tire by any stretch) it got around great!

We went up and down a couple of two-tracks, but even more importantly, we did AWD snow donuts!

All in all, a successful first 24 hours with Jalapeno. I'm already filling out order forms for the first bits of maintenance and some modifications. I won't go real crazy because I love the way it drives on the street, but definitely wheels/tires, lighting, skid plate, and maybe a baby lift of 1-2" (anything more and you have to drop the subframe and change the upper a-arms). I'd lovvve to find a factory rear locking diff (stupid rare).

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/22 10:37 p.m.

I would not lift it.  I would rallycross the heck out of it as is.  I'd love to talk my wife into one of these later, but she will have none of those wonderful V8 noises at that level.  She likes quiet and cushy. 

Javelin
1/1/22 11:15 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Well stock they sound quiet and cushy, especially the Turbo ones... devil

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/2/22 9:32 a.m.

I was just chatting last night with a guy name Kenny from Kitsap county about his on your side of the country.  Been looking to do the same if I can find a decent deal in my area.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/2/22 11:17 a.m.

Hate to tell you but the Turbo/Turbo S don't have more maintenance than your S.  The S has more issues with bore scoring than both the Turbo/Turbo S.  My old Turbo S didn't have one issue with the air suspension and I got rid of it at 140k miles. 

Watch the oil consumption like a hawk, mine used 1 quart every 1200 miles, which is very normal.  Then suddenly that doubled to 1 quart every 500-600 miles.  Which is not normal, but common if that makes any sense...

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/2/22 11:35 a.m.

I love you.

Too early?

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/2/22 12:48 p.m.

I hadn't heard much about the bore scoring in the 955s and mine were both well over 100k miles with no engine issues (and barely any oil consumption). Almost all of the Cayennes that I see on Facebook Market locally are well over 150k miles now. Knowing that docwyte is credible, I did a little more reading.

FCP Euro has a good guide: The Definitive Guide To First-Generation Porsche Cayenne Engine Options (955/957)

There's plenty of discussion on Rennlist. Here's one: Porsche Cayenne S piston / cylinder scoring issue statistics

It seems that "cold climates" are a significant factor which may be why it has not been a problem locally around Oklahoma.

It's funny how reading of a few other people's bad experiences can influence us. After reading Terry's experience with bore scoring on his '08 Cayman S (It's BS!), I feel more comfortable with IMS bearings in the Porsche M96s than I do with the bores of the M97 engines. Reading Captainawesome's "Freddy McShreddy: Midlife Crisis FRS thingy" totally turned me off to FRSs - after all the work he put into the car, having the FA20 issues. I still wouldn't hesitate to buy an older Cayenne, but I'd look for a GTS model.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/3/22 1:16 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

I drove two 957 GTS's, one an automatic, one a 6MT.  Both were underwhelming but remember I'm up in altitude.  The 6MT in particular wasn't a great drive, the manual has long, ropy throws and didn't really add any connection to the SUV.  I was surprised given that I'm a die hard 3 pedal man, I actually think these drive better with the automatic

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/3/22 1:26 p.m.
Javelin said:

During the Snopacolypse Season 3, I got a wild idea and decided that I needed a real off-road capable vehicle..........

Hey, wait a minute.....

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/22 2:12 p.m.

What years are best for the v8 Cayenne's?

Javelin
1/3/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Carburetors and freezing temps do not get along. Sweet truck though.

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/4/22 12:38 a.m.
yupididit said:

What years are best for the v8 Cayenne's?

The 4.5 S is the one to get, so 03-06. Reports of bore scoring are largely exaggerated, I've only seen it on a very small handful of NA 4.5s with low mileage and massively stretched maintenance intervals. Don't get me started on the later 4.8s, lol. The rear locker is uncommon but great to have and the common failure points really boil down to three things. Cardan shaft, cooling pipes and premature fuel pump failure. While cooling pipes are a bit pricy, the other two items are more of a PITA factor than anything. These are the best-built '00s luxury SUVs this side of Lexus and my pick of that whole crop as you can address all major issues and have money to spare before you reach that Lexus price bracket.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
1/4/22 9:28 a.m.

I know from firsthand experience that the coolant pipes are pretty easy to do (takes about an hour to R&R with intake removal), but if it shows signs of leaking, don't dally. 

The owner put off the repair, and the coolant flowed out the valley, into the bell housing, and ultimately made the front pump seal on the trans start leaking - which required something like 3 Porsche only special service tools to yank the trans to replace the seal.

Was not a fun job.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/4/22 9:51 a.m.

Coolant pipes, coolant T's, coolant overflow reservoir, litronic modules (Headlights), rear hatch glass and hatch shocks, fuel pumps, cardan shafts, bore scoring.

All of that stuff you need to worry about, or make sure there are service records showing that it's been addressed.  Getting all the locked diffs only comes on the "off road package", which was an exceedingly rare option.

Javelin
1/4/22 10:29 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

There's a stack of receipts in the glove box for deductibles to the warranty company and a full invoice for the cardan shaft and power steering system. 

I need to take a peak under the intake to see if the coolant pipes have been done yet. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/4/22 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

There are plastic coolant T's in there too that need to be replaced, and the overflow reservoir cracks too.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/4/22 8:17 p.m.
Javelin said:

That's just not true, and I'm not really a "carb guy".

A well tuned carb will run fine. 

Congrats on the Porsche purchase I spent an hour and a half of what should have been a two plus hour drive in the back seat of one of these a few years back. It was a nice place to be as we flew down the highway. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/5/22 8:07 a.m.

Admit it, you mostly did this because the Boost Wagon wouldn't do snow donuts...devil   Following with interest!

Javelin
1/5/22 10:04 a.m.
11GTCS said:

Admit it, you mostly did this because the Boost Wagon wouldn't do snow donuts...devil   Following with interest!

Guilty!

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/5/22 10:48 a.m.
1SlowVW said:
Javelin said:

That's just not true, and I'm not really a "carb guy".

A well tuned carb will run fine. 

My carb inducted vehicles have had far less issues starting and running than my fuel injected ones in below zero temperatures over the past 40 years.     They are harder on the rings, however...

Javelin
1/7/22 12:27 p.m.

So I brought Jalapeño to the tire shop for a vibration. Turns out all 4 tires were out of balance and one of the fronts was out by 2.25, but it probably threw a weight. On the plus side, there's a LOT of newer components underneath including the front LCA bushings and all 4 struts/springs.

All the suspension, driveline, and brakes looked great except the inner boot of the LF CV axle, seen here.

In other news, the title finally came in. Turns out this thing lived it's life in Colorado and was a repossession! That explains a few things about it.

I also made a couple of parts orders.

Javelin
1/8/22 9:00 p.m.

Today we almost made it to the driving summit of Mt. St. Helens. Note that the suspension is still 100% stock and the tires are just Continental DWS06 all seasons.

It's really fun to drive in the snow and off road. We found an AWESOME trail that leads to a bunch of trails to play on today. No photos of that, but here's more mountain.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/22 6:45 p.m.

Front locking diff and open rear is a weird combo. Wonder why Porsche did that.

Regardless, fun buy. It's always cool seeing luxury SUVs off-road. 

Javelin
1/12/22 4:27 p.m.
Javelin
1/17/22 4:22 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
96xUD8S9aGp0riyTk4cssKt4Y8ucxy1pC5jmazYbthIFgzATDfmm4Le3JCzTu2eN