1 ... 6 7 8 9
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/25/22 5:31 p.m.

So I found a replacement spring kit that uses the fibreglass springs front clam shell mounts at a reasonable price. Captain's side is done. Drinker's side is no bueno. The upper shell of the clam shell is completely rusted away. Only think holding the fibreglass spring is was the rubber bushing stuck to the lower clamshell. Unless I can find a replacement JCDV is done.

What you're looking at is where the upper clamshell should be. It hasn't been removed. It's completely gone. Rusted away. I'm looking online, but GM only did these springs for a few years before returning to steel and going to the 6 bolt truck suspension. 

Anyone have a spare Astro sitting around they don't want? I have a nice sbc/700r4 combo to go into one.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/25/22 11:23 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

This is an old thread, but maybe these guys can help you out?

https://www.astrosafari.com/threads/92-rear-mono-leaf-spring-upgrade-options.70617/

6/26/22 12:19 p.m.

I am looking at making my own upper clamshell. This ain't over yet.

6/27/22 8:19 p.m.

All you need to make a clamshell mount. Or so we shall see.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/22 9:00 p.m.

That's the spirit!

6/28/22 5:23 p.m.

Got after it today.

Cut slot in tubing. Insert flat stock.

Glue metal together with lightning.

Cut off unneeded tube portion and clean inside for more metal gluing with lightning.

Clean up welds, prime, paint.

6/28/22 5:25 p.m.

Is it perfect? No, but neither is the van!

6/29/22 8:17 p.m.

And back on the ground.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/29/22 8:41 p.m.

Well done yes

Dam Van lives on.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/29/22 8:41 p.m.

Awesome!!!

6/30/22 4:57 p.m.

All set for now. Gotta get it inspected. Maybe some bodywork in the future? The new springs brought the rear up about an inch. Just about right to level it out. Now I'm not sure I want to put the front springs in.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/1/22 6:53 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

All set for now. Gotta get it inspected. Maybe some bodywork in the future? The new springs brought the rear up about an inch. Just about right to level it out. Now I'm not sure I want to put the front springs in.

Your rear wheel does not look centered in the arch. Is that a camera perspective thing? Or something to be concerned about?

Indy - Guy said:
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Your rear wheel does not look centered in the arch. Is that a camera perspective thing? Or something to be concerned about?

It looks about 2" forward of where it was in your "on the ground" post 2 days ago.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/22 8:40 a.m.

Yup. Issue.

That side dump though is awesome!

7/2/22 8:22 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, it now sits further forward than in the original pic. That was with too much yoke showing out of the trans. This is with about 3/4 showing. I can still make an adjustment to move it back. Essential splitting the two settings.

7/2/22 8:25 p.m.

I did have a problem at the inspection however. They asked that I cover a small hole in the driver's side rocker panel below the door. When I got it home I realized that beneath the paint was worse than even they knew. No simple tiger hair repair here. Went to metal, seam sealer, and paint. BTW, those holes are what I made when I got home. It got worse before it got better.

Welcome to the rust belt.

7/2/22 8:28 p.m.

The flip kit did move the axle center forward a bit. But it's even side to side now. The new springs also provide a better ride and about an extra inch of clearance. I had no axle to body hits while driving all day yesterday. Scarily I find myself at 60 without realizing it most times. The sbc is smooth and quiet.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/22 9:09 a.m.

Damn solid for a VT car.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/3/22 11:02 p.m.

Haven't posted in a bit, so I missed the problem posts. Very glad the Van survived; and awesome work getting it there!

BTW, I have two completely rust free Astros, if the need ever comes up for real. No rust, but do have others reasons nether is a dd at the moment, and prolly won't be for me. Also both (98 AWD and 99 RWD) are newer than the "shorties"; and a long way away!!  

I'd also love to get my hands on your drivetrain, but hope it never happens!

Anyway, glad to see it going well

7/4/22 5:34 p.m.
03Panther said:

Haven't posted in a bit, so I missed the problem posts. Very glad the Van survived; and awesome work getting it there!

BTW, I have two completely rust free Astros, if the need ever comes up for real. No rust, but do have others reasons nether is a dd at the moment, and prolly won't be for me. Also both (98 AWD and 99 RWD) are newer than the "shorties"; and a long way away!!  

I'd also love to get my hands on your drivetrain, but hope it never happens!

Anyway, glad to see it going well

Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to keep looking for another shortie minus the rust to replace this at some time. Need to make sure I get a LSD next time. Undecided if I want to go back to AWD (had a 05 previously). This drivetrain makes me very happy for now.

7/4/22 6:31 p.m.

As pretty as it's gonna get.

7/12/22 5:39 p.m.

Out and about today. In support of the Chase Away Canine Cancer ChaseAway5k.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/22 11:33 p.m.

The wheel and tire package and the stance are 100% dialed.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/13/22 1:23 a.m.

Lookin' good!

7/14/22 6:23 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

The wheel and tire package and the stance are 100% dialed.

I think it needs to come down just a tad in the front. I have springs but they were for a V6 and I'm afraid if I put them in it will drop more than an inch with the V8.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zi7Q6YOkDIhdJnHCQeL95h96KwmTrVmdFOYp636gEbuejtVA3Dk8ejMZKKrJVDFh