1 ... 4 5 6
Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/30/22 9:52 a.m.

Had the first electrical issue come up and I fixed it quickly, with a little frustration.

That red light should flash only when the 4 ways are on and it started to be on all the time, no flashing. Also, the green lights should flash with the appropriate turn signal, and they would just light without flashing. The 4 ways and the turn signals still worked fine, just this indicator wasn't working right.  Very minor problem, but it was bugging me.

It was the new 3 wire flasher unit I installed a few months ago.  They're only about $4, but it's frustrating that it didn't last very long. We'll see how the new one does, as it's the exact same PN from NAPA as the one that failed.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/30/22 8:32 p.m.

I took the Jeep to the gas station today and realized I can gas it up and pay without getting out of the seat. It's like going to the ATM for gas.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
11/13/22 7:54 p.m.

Parked my Lotus 7 by the Jeep in the storage building and realized they're both minimalist cars with cutouts instead of doors and about the same footprint. Both are incredibly fun to drive in very different ways. 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
6/24/23 10:23 a.m.

I haven't updated this thread for awhile, so here are a few miscellaneous updates. It spent the winter in the storage building next to the Seven, but once the snow melted it came home and I drive it several times per week with no issues as long as I watch the oil. 

We were scaling cars at Eclectic one day, so we put the Jeep on the scales as well.

And we put it to work recently. Jack bought an unfinished Cummins-swapped F250 that is a beast to move. We strapped a 2x4 to the Jeep's bumper, put it in 4WD low, and used it as a push vehicle.

It's still fun and even a little useful sometimes.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/23 11:37 a.m.

I love following along on your progress with the Jeep... but please share some more details on that beautiful Lotus!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/26/23 9:41 p.m.

I'll read all the updates you care to give!  I love the simple utility. 

My old (but significantly more modern) jeep is waiting on some attention from me.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/11/23 9:45 p.m.

We'll, my son Jack likes my Jeep so much he bought one too. 

It's at CJ 3a in similar condition as mine started.  Better in some places, worse in others. But a decent foundation. 

He's looking for an engine, probably a used stock flathead for now. But there is discussion about a Kubota or TDI swap...

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/11/23 9:49 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I love following along on your progress with the Jeep... but please share some more details on that beautiful Lotus!

I'll dig up some more photos of the Lotus and give a synopsis. Short version is it's a real one, 1965 Series 2. I've built the engine to Cosworth specs, it weighs 1115 lbs, and still runs skinny 13" tires. 

78CobraII
78CobraII Reader
7/12/23 12:27 a.m.

If'n you happened to have a fiberglass jeep body, and if'n you had a junk Locost frame laying around, it might be fun to stick the two together...for science!

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/13/23 2:58 p.m.
78CobraII said:

If'n you happened to have a fiberglass jeep body, and if'n you had a junk Locost frame laying around, it might be fun to stick the two together...for science!

A guy in Canada is sorta doing that but with steel body panels: tube frame, porsche transaxle, turbo'd hayabusa motor.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/13/23 4:42 p.m.

V2203 in there would be perfect! 40hp net vs 60 hp gross from the old Go Devil. And even fewer electronic bits than stock.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUVrhHwMtTGuKwc73KLIpNquG6AucoFdP2GqnhXzgoRJQeaNNxT9TLEPgVuWhXxP