malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/19 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

You might nees a shielded signal wires or something.  Thats weird

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
7/20/19 12:28 p.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

That's a clean install on the Pioneer.  Amazing you were able to retain the steering wheel controls.  

malibuguy
7/21/19 8:31 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to malibuguy :

That's a clean install on the Pioneer.  Amazing you were able to retain the steering wheel controls.  

It was all Crutchfield.  They had all the bits to keep the steering wheel controls and keep the factory amplifier 

malibuguy
7/25/19 9:33 p.m.

Left front caliper kept sticking on me.  So i replaced both fronts and put in some new Centric Ctek metallic pads and it feels awesome.  I use these pads often for a budget street pad and they feel right at home for me.

Also ive noticed the trans sometimes at low throttle inputs and low speeds it tends to get confused into what gear to select.  Check the fluid and it was pretty dark.  So today was the first of a few drain and fills ill perform.  So far ive noticed an immediate improvement.  Ill do another one tomorrow.  Then Ill let it ride for a couple weeks the I perform 2 more and it should be good as gold.

I really enjoy driving this thing almost too much for a softroader

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
7/25/19 10:09 p.m.

We have a 2005 in the family rotation, owned for three years and 100,000 miles.  Life in Southern California.  Other than oil changes and breaks it has been very reliable. Now that it's 190,000 plus it is dripping power steering fluid, but that the first issue.

I did have the dealer do the 90,000 mile list of belts, hoses, fluids and service.  My service writer was able to bundle and take of advantage of just about every discount that the dealer could offer.  Then he gave me a discount on the overall price.   I will stay on top of the fluids, the cam belt will be on the list next year. 

I would start looking for a spare set of those rims.  They are out there, some have been chromed.  We have bent or broken three so far, they look and are beefy.  They are not rock proof. 

The car pulls my sons go kart and utility trailer with out any issues.  Keeping up with the traffic in this is not an issue, getting more than 25 mpg is a challenge. For me.

I would buy another one. 

malibuguy
7/26/19 5:50 a.m.
jr02518 said:

I would start looking for a spare set of those rims.  They are out there, some have been chromed.  We have bent or broken three so far, they look and are beefy.  They are not rock proof.   

These wheels pop up all the time on Croooober for less then 100 bucks (but shipping is alot)

I dunno if Ill keep em or get some 3spokes

malibuguy
10/28/19 7:56 p.m.

went playing up in the mountains...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR46zRlU4TA&t=61s

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
10/29/19 8:02 a.m.

Pretty drive.  This is the best season of the year in the Mid Atlantic.  Well, apart from the crazy storms.  

You going to the "Show before the Snow" Sunday?  We'll probably head up some time in the morning, possibly leaving after lunch (naptime).

malibuguy
10/29/19 8:09 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Pretty drive.  This is the best season of the year in the Mid Atlantic.  Well, apart from the crazy storms.  

You going to the "Show before the Snow" Sunday?  We'll probably head up some time in the morning, possibly leaving after lunch (naptime).

Most likely not.

malibuguy
6/8/20 7:26 a.m.

10k since my purchase nearly a year ago.  Love this thing.  Soon I plan to get some trail tires and maybe build a custom bumper for it.

malibuguy
10/29/20 7:12 p.m.

A gentleman in a Saab cut me off today

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/29/20 7:38 p.m.

That sucks, dude. But looks relatively fixable. At least from here. I bought my wife one a couple years ago, with 140K on it. just hit 170K, but 4 trips to the shop, for stuff I didn't have time for. $4500 in rpairs on what is supposed to be a great car. I'm disappointed. But even though we now have WAY to much in ours, it has never left her stuck on the road, and does run good. So we are stuck with it. Ours is white with beige interior. Not a favorite, but it was the cleanest one we found at the time.

malibuguy
10/29/20 10:08 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The downside of older toyotas is all the deferred maintenance from the past owners 

Mine has been great for the most part.  I actually really like it.  I did rather have a white one.

The damage is just cosmetic.  Fender, washer jug, bumper and headlight are the main victims.  Im sure there is a slew of little widgets that will need to be addressed.  The core support is still straight, but some of the metal down in side the fender is ever so slightly tweaked.

Steering is still straight but coming off center is just has different feel.  

Waiting on his insurance to get it figured out.  

More upset because I had off roading plans for this weekend and couple weeks from now.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/29/20 11:24 p.m.

In reply to malibuguy : The downside of older toyotas is all the deferred maintenance from the past owners

That is part what got us. And, really applies to a lot mor than toyota. Just got very expensive for us.

Glad no one was hurt in the accident, and I hope the damage truly is cosmetic. One of our repairs was a steering box failure - grinding in one direction only. Non maintenance item, never fails... we just won that lottery.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/30/20 7:01 a.m.
malibuguy said:

A gentleman in a Saab cut me off today

My guess is at pro shop rates you have $4k worth of damage. I'm assuming no airbag went off. 

I also guess that if you have 150k miles or less that your car has a replacement value of $8k.

I expect that the car will get fixed and you'll be happy with the outcome. 

Was the other party sited? Is responsibility for repair falling on him? 

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
10/30/20 8:18 a.m.

That sucks.  If you were looking to do the front bumper anyway didn't "John in Kansas" do something custom for his wife's?

malibuguy
10/30/20 9:16 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

A while back I considered bulding a metal tube bumper for it, but since I really like the way it looks as it and its approach angle is actually pretty decent, I am just going to stick with a factory cover.  Plus MPGs...I dont need any more drag then necessary and weight on something this softly sprung.

I made a pretty beefy skidplate underneath that really sees the bulk of abuse offroad.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/30/20 9:34 p.m.

I remember John in KS's build. Looked great. But aftermarket stock bumpers ain't bad for these. I have a football sized dent in the front (same side) and rear, so I've looked. Pushed back out ok, but quite "wrinkled" there. Have not found a source for good looking aftermarket headlights for it. Seems like soccer moms don't go in for customizing, so no profit margins to be made.

malibuguy
10/31/20 8:52 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

there is some cheesy lights out there.  Mine are the $72 Chynuh specials becuase my orginals were cracked and bad.  They actually fit well and the beam pattern was pretty much like 90% of stock.  I was going to do projector retrofits if they did suck, but I honestly I like the factory look and with the HIR halogen upgrade, I see just fine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qiZbGc17SWkEqeD6ubNHtANONNOCVfCxkF2f4vEWgv9BrOvRndCoPVPzgdsWimP4