1 ... 20 21 22
Pdriscoll66
Pdriscoll66 New Reader
3/1/21 12:34 p.m.

Two iconic KRISTI images. Thanks for posting those.

I have a question about VW engine cooling. In your engine work, did you find whether your industrial unit ever had had thermostatically controlled venting underneath? I do not see anything like that on my motor by looking under there with a small mirror. I suspect it was either removed or never had it in the first place. In running my snowcat, I can really feel the engine heating up and cooling off, mostly because there isn't anything left of the lower firewall and very little insulation. 

Do you have a sense yet of how the ext oil cooler affects or moderates temperature? I am still running the original magnesium block 1300 cc, btw.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/4/21 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Pdriscoll66 : never had any lower cooling valves from the looks of it.  having the engine out and looking at the tins I believe the kristi company cut the industrial lower cylinder tins to fit around the differential. on a related note I think they also cut the heat risers off the original intakes.  everyone tells me I "need" them but honestly mine runs so warm all the time I have yet to meet cold enough conditions to ice up the carb or manifold on this machine. the engine air has no where to go but back up.  even with a "firewall" mine is always hot with a hint of fumes.   I will get back to you on the temps with the new setup.  I have an oil temp gauge just need to install it.  the oil pressure doesn't drop off with temp nearly as much now so that's a good sign.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/4/21 9:01 a.m.

first person to correctly name that corner gets some free snowcat jamboree stickers

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/21 9:22 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq :

Is it Niagara Peak?

I googled and I googled and that's the best I got...

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/11/21 1:33 a.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

the ski run is called niagara but there is a well known local name for the corner im parked on.  stickers still up for grabs!

Pdriscoll66
Pdriscoll66 New Reader
3/19/21 1:02 p.m.

Kleenex Corner! At least that's what the trail map says. Never have skied there. 

Spent a couple days on basic tuneup stuff on my Kristi. Valves were way tight and the timing was off. This unit still has the stock 28 PCI carb, which I cleaned up and adjusted. Not sure what the jetting is.

Gave it several good runs and the oil pressure and power seem good. Running noticeably cooler, although I did have the hood removed, which dissipates heat pretty well.

Planning one last overnight trip soon before the snow gets too rotten. Trailering is always a bit of a pain, especially now in mud season for several miles during the approaches and at the staging areas. Jealous of CO's elevations, which is partially offset by MT's latitude I suppose.

How was the jamb, btw?

Cheers.

New York Nick
3/20/21 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Pdriscoll66 :

I'm with you waiting for pics and video of the Jam.  I've been checking youtube for videos but haven't seen anything from '21 yet.

Pdriscoll66
Pdriscoll66 New Reader
3/25/21 11:51 a.m.

Just watched the YouTube vid of the 2021 Jamb. That is an impressive segment of you crossing the bridge at Camp Hale. The Kristi looks to be in good trim with the tracks well adjusted. And the speed -- I can hear you shifting gears under power and the motor sounds just great.

You've really got something going with that rig.

New York Nick
3/25/21 12:31 p.m.

Great video. Maybe there is more this is the one I found. I am sure that video doesn't do the slope of that hill justice!

https://youtu.be/5bxTJaomxL0

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/28/21 12:45 p.m.

glad you guys found our video.  I'm clearly slacking on the build thread updates. 

the jamboree went off (almost) without a hitch this year.  it was so nice to just cruise up and have a good time not fixing stuff or wondering how it would run.   my dad noticed an exhaust crack on our way out of town so we doubled back to the house and repaired that.  still holding up with the re-enforcement I added.   only other issue was we ran out of fuel on our way back down on the last day.  luckily a nice guy on a husqvarna timbersled rode up and sold me his extra fuel. 

dry sump is working great.  ran that little machine wide open straight up resolution creek (six miles or so all up hill) three days straight.  got it pretty hot and it never let us down.  even managed to pass a few cats along the way.

the kristi is back to its winter home on top of aspen mountain.  been working on little details like the parking brake issues and other odds and ends.  trying to leave it together while i still have snow to drive it on.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
11/27/21 8:16 a.m.

time to start my roof down restoration.   got some fiberglass work ahead of me

java230
java230 PowerDork
11/28/21 11:03 a.m.

Yay for updates! 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/28/21 11:41 a.m.

Still so cool. 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/7/22 8:45 a.m.

managed to get the windows installed. . . err. . test fit anyway.  it will all come apart for bodywork and paint.  did my annual maintenance and replaced the treads.  then loaded up and headed into the storm for the 6th annual colorado snowcat jamboree.  the weather was brutal this year but still had another record breaking attendance making us once again the largest gathering of private snowcats in the world at 45 cats total.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/12/22 8:13 p.m.

Took the cat out on the grand mesa today.  Needed to test the new voltage regulator at trail temp since the old points style reg would only drop out when hot.  

Finally had to get brave and break trail for a few miles because nothing had been groomed since the last storm.  This thing can chug thru the powder in 3rd gear all day as long as it's not too steep.  2nd will handle most hills you might encounter.  Still haven't used granny gear for anything but the trailer though I'm sure one day I'll need it 

Still need to resize the jamboree photos and finish up the video but here's some pow pics from today.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/12/22 8:27 p.m.

Great pics. Such a cool machine. I love it when this thread comes back to the top!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/12/22 8:40 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I really should post more.  Especially when the snow flies!

java230
java230 PowerDork
3/13/22 12:17 p.m.

Yay! I love this thread 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/13/22 2:41 p.m.
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/13/22 9:11 p.m.

Great video. Having a snow machine like that in the west must be very cool. I love watching them being pushed hard up the hill. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/14/22 9:58 a.m.

Was it a deliberate decision to park the Kristi next to the largest one?

Pdriscoll66
Pdriscoll66 New Reader
12/15/22 1:59 p.m.

Anxious to see where you are with body work on your Kristi. We had exhaust work done on ours over the off-season and just recently installed header wrap. Seems to run quieter and cooler. Also reinstalled some windows, using rubber strip locking gasket, which is a bit of a chore. Track is back on and doing some runs around the neighborhood. Regards.

1 ... 20 21 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zSxI9iCw2SPyTdLpGCohGymke5c3zwgNZEdoiYgBXf5OaEbDBUOly6N48eHP1asI