1 2 3 ... 7
ill_climber
ill_climber None
3/10/19 6:51 a.m.

Hi,

I've been on the hunt for a place to blog my new build on a Hyundai Getz. Everyone here seems keen for some interesting projects so here we go...

The basis for my build will be a 3 door Hyundai Getz. I say will because I don't own one yet, there are plenty around so I'm not real worried. The bits I do have are slightly harder to come by at a good price and that Is the heart of this project. Namely a Hyundai Elantra with a vvt version of the Beta II 2 litre engine with a 5 speed gearbox. I picked up an entire car with a bit of a black eye for $700 with 200,000ks on it. The lad that crashed it had recently spent a heap of coin on it so I think I got a pretty good deal. Sweet as.

The concept of the project is to build a hill climber/daily driver on a budget. Something along the lines of if Hyundai built a GTi version. The build will be very stealthily done, such that it looks like the factory did it.

I've picked up some wheels and tyres second hand too in 16x6.5 +35 with 205/45 rubber at 90% and a set of Honda Accord front brake calipers. Turns out these calipers bolt on and are the biggest single piston caliper they make. There is room for a 280mm rotor. Sweet as.

So I started on the work proper today at a friends workshop. I completely gutted the interior and dash to remove some bits I was after. Engine ECM and loom. Gear shifter and cables. Fuel pump and housing. I think I will take the entire wiring harness out of the car just in case I need some of it later. The engine harness has quite a lot of non engine stuff in it that will need to be pulled out before it is spliced into the Getz.

I've taken lots of measurements and the engine will fit (It's been done before too) without too much hassle. I will have to notch the subframe around the diff area and possibly the left chassis rail underneath. The driveshafts splines are the same between the cv's and hubs. Everything else is laid out the same so will hook up pretty easily.

This is where I started

Part way through stripping the wiring out

This is where things are at in the engine bay now. I need to pull some measurements off it before getting much more serious.

Here is the mostly engine loom ready to start stripping

This is the engine cover in my friends otherwise stock Getz autocross car. Looks kinda big but oh well...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/10/19 9:22 a.m.

We need a picture of a Getz, since 90% of us on this board are from countries that do not use that model name. We very well might getz(cheeky) the car here in the states with a different model name. There is gathering enthusiasm for Korean machinery here as well, so this is going to be a great thread.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/10/19 9:29 a.m.

Wow. 

Welcome from New Zealand. You've found a great place for your build. 

We don't get the Hyundai Getz here but we do have the Elantra. 

Just to be clear, I think you're taking the 2.0L and 5 speed from here

Into here where a 1.6L previously lived:

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/10/19 12:28 p.m.

Just to be clear, I think you're taking the 2.0L and 5 speed from here

Into here where a 1.6L previously lived:

That's exactly what I'm doing. Known as a Hyundai TB in some countries. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/10/19 1:17 p.m.

This is similar to beta swapping an accent here in the us. 

Welcome from the resident Korean car fanboi. 

Is this the 1.6 alpha in the Getz?

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/10/19 1:34 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Depends on the year model i end up with but is 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6 alpha engines. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/10/19 2:54 p.m.

That should be a fairly easy swap. Iirc the harness should be very similar. At least with the accent swap the front and rear mounts are correct and you can use the alpha trans/clutch. The clutch is the limiting factor in the beta. Hate that clutch. 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/11/19 3:57 a.m.

I can't wait until you Getz this one going!

I'll see myself out.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/11/19 9:20 a.m.

I think I understand why Hyundai does not use the Getz name in some English language markets, but then they do in some indecision Then we don't get the car by any name. Dumb US won't buy small carssad

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/11/19 3:47 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Yes,  did a bit of research and it looks like US, Canada and China were the only markets that don't have them. Ill make sure i get plenty of photos once it arrives so you guys can play along.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/11/19 4:34 p.m.

More Getz, not less Getz please. 

Justin
Justin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/12/19 4:12 a.m.

Reading this from Tauranga and liking your plan. I drove a Getz as a work car for 6 months and while is was a typical Nice Little Car, livening one up would be a hoot.

Good luck with this, will be keen to read updates.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/27/19 6:17 a.m.

Managed another half day today stripping out my donor wreck. I'm almost there with this. Almost everything is stripped out now except the engine and box, the mounts are loose ready to lift it out, hopefully in the morning. Once that is done there are only a couple of other things to harvest before the shell can go for scrap. I can't believe how much room there is around the engine, these things are super easy to work on.

I've also been researching a few expected tech issues, mainly around the immobilizer system. This car was fitted with Hyundai's ETACS system. The module connects to the engine ECM at only one point, described as the W line. Not sure what the required signal is if there are any gurus out there that no how to get around having the immobilizer. As a precaution and my back up plan, I removed the entire remaining wiring from the shell and have all the matching components to put the entire system into another car if required. Obviously Im hoping not to.

My exhaust header arrived too so I've trial fitted this. It fits in a fashion. There is some webbing on the sump that will need relieving or I will have to bend the pipes down a little. I need to fit an O2 bung and plan to refit the heatshields from the cast manifold and cat to keep the stealthy appearance in the engine bay.

In a quite happy discovery, my donor had brand new cv shafts fitted. Sweet as. One of the decisions I need to make is how to fit these shafts into the Getz. A Getz is 35mm narrower track than an Elantra. Ive taken quite a few measurements of the chassis rails and cv shafts. here are my options:

1-Move the engine to the left and use a 35mm shorter LH shaft

2-Leave engine the middle, which requires chassis rail mods and extend the lower control arms by 17mm each

3-Move the engine to the left and find a 35mm longer RH shaft (possibly from a later i30) and extend the lower control arms by 35mm each, at which point I would but spacers in the rear too (they are bolt on stub axles)

Option 1 is best for staying stealthy and saving me from bodywork, although I looked at my wheels today and I have 10mm of poke on the front already, but I could look for other wheels. The hard thing here is to find a shorter shaft and I'm not ultra confident in shortening them reliably. Option 2 requires body mods which will extend the length and cost of the project, so if I'm going down that road I may as well go for option 3 and do it properly.

The question then is WRC or Rocket Bunny style over fenders???

Does anyone have a good database of driveshafts???

Another happy discovery was the front sway bar will fit into the rear of the Getz. I have devised a cunning plan to make this adjustable and not quite so savage as I'm pretty sure a sway bar from the front of a 1200kg car in the back of a 900kg car might be too much. More on this later.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/28/19 4:03 p.m.

Engine and box coming out

I pulled everything right down to assess what i have and to do some work on the cylinder head and inlet manifold. It's all in great condition and i found a brand new clutch too!

I took a trip to the wrecking yard and found a 60mm throttle body and possibly identified a candidate for my shorter lh cv shaft. 

Then it was time to clean everything up. Here is my environmentaly questionable, somewhat dangerous Macgyver cleaning station.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/30/19 4:43 a.m.

Actually put some stuff back together today. I cleaned up and mounted the gearbox and starter.

I completed stripping the cylinder head and cleaned it some more. Ill be taking this and my oversized throttle body ambitions to another friends workshop to learn how to port and polish.

Here is my wheels bolted up to my hosts autocross Getz. No poke either which is a relief.

acheron64
acheron64 New Reader
3/30/19 8:15 a.m.

Very interested .

Also don't feel quite as silly wanting to put a k24 in my beaten up 1998 Hyundai excel (accent).......

Must be this forum.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/31/19 1:38 a.m.

So i went to another friends workshop to discuss how i could tackle a larger throttle body. It was a short conversation...

So the existing tb went from 53mm to 58mm and now looks like this:

Here is the old and new throttle plates

And started to bore the inlet plenum to match

Hopefully will have this finished up this week and can then port the head.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/2/19 6:24 a.m.

I spent the evening stripping off the mostly engine loom for a bit of a look. At this stage i won't be doing any cutting. Ive marked up all the connections and next i need to start identifying individual wire functions to see how it will marry up in the new car. At this stage it is still only the immobiliser that concerns me.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/7/19 12:02 a.m.

Got my oversized throttle body machining finished. Final size is 58mm and gives a 32% increase in flow area with the modified shaft. I had to machine down the the new throttle plate from 60 to 58 and on a 10 degree angle. I did this in the lathe with an aluminum adapter. Was a bit of messing around to line it up but worked really well.

Just have to put it back together with the correct screws and some loctite.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/12/19 2:14 a.m.

New toys just arrived in the mail

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/13/19 5:29 a.m.

Started on my porting today. The inlet plenum needed a good tidy up after boring it with a hole saw. It was a good chance to try out my new porting tools and get to know how they work before moving on to more critical areas. Turned out pretty well considering what it looked like before. 

This is after i did the first runner. You can see the flashing in the second and third runners that i removed.

All four done.

Quick trip to the sandblaster and now i have this.

Started on a tidy up of the exhaust manifold. I bought the cheapest one i could find so expected a bit of love would be required before it was suitable for use.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/13/19 6:50 a.m.

Porting an unloved, big engine and then stuffing it in an unloved small car is AWESOME. 

I'm going to be lurking in the background and enjoying. 

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/19/19 1:00 a.m.

So i needed to pull the valves out to do the ports. Didn't have any kind of spring compressor so i made one from scrap steel i found lying around. 

This

Plus this

Equals this.

With all the valves out now, it is evident that the exhaust ports are tiny and will need some work. The exhaust gasket and manifold flange are much larger. I could grind the head out but am more inclined to fill the exhaust manifold with the mig as the runners aren't real big either.

Next is to get the head in the sand blaster and start porting. I pulled the valve cover apart and cleaned all the crap out.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/19/19 11:02 p.m.

Got my blasting done and a final clean with the pressure washer. Looks better than i expected from Hyundai but still improvement to be found. The hard bit will certainly be match porting the exhaust manifold. 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/21/19 3:43 p.m.

watching.......

What are the stock seat diameters?  Stock valve diameters?

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NcTS0PrqrTWYNHeYyAjBM8obSU2SWFGvwr0Kope6YdOTLjBI6pXb0xVMDy0BTuK7