1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
12/10/20 5:24 a.m.

In reply to 2Girlsracing (Steffi) :

Not sure how soon I'll be looking to attend national  champs. This will be my first foray into racing at all. You never know where it may lead though. 

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
1/13/21 12:23 a.m.

As is becoming normal, simple ideas have got out of hand.

This pushed my skill set a lot. I'm not stoked on the quality but learnt and improved (slightly) as I went. I rolled, folded, hammer formed and tig'd an alloy radiator duct out of 1mm sheet. As you can see, not a simple shape. But it's another job off the list. If it gets hot I'll be pretty dark.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/3/21 4:54 a.m.

So it's back to making my cheap eBay header pipes work. An issue I identified a while ago was that the merge point between primary and secondary pipes was fitted incorrectly. Further down at the final collector the pipe was hitting the sump and generally didn't point the right way.

So I chopped off the secondary pipes just below the collectors and cleaned up the junction inside with the die grinder. I bought some 90 degree mandrel bends of the right size and set about fitting them into the right spot. After much measuring and head scratching I sort merged the together and hammer formed things until the flange would fit.

Next was a bung for the o2 sensor and brackets for all the stock heat shields. I needed these for both thermal management and stealthy under bonnet looks. Happily the whole lot is bolted on and ready for the rest of the system. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 6:47 a.m.

That looks stellar!

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/7/21 9:41 p.m.

Getting closer now. Quick little job to rejig the power steering plumbing. I picked up a later model reservoir and made a custom bracket to get it in just the right spot. Decided to add a small support at the bottom just to be sure.

That was the last of the fab work in the engine bay so it was time to bolt all the front back on properly.  I think I achieved my goal of factory looking install. 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/7/21 11:43 p.m.

Awesome project! 

I have some little things to add:
This is a Hyundai Click in Korea and it shares a ton of parts with the Kia Rio. 
This is important because Kia Rios and Hyundai Clicks were the basis of a popular racing series here in Korea.
Which is important because if you need any hens' teeth parts I might be able to help you out. 

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/8/21 3:31 a.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath :

Thats good to know. Probably the only thing left I might be interested in would be suspension parts.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/8/21 5:19 a.m.

Next job off the list. I cut out the centre dash panel and folded up some alloy sheet to fit in. At the moment all I have is my launch/nls over ride switch mounted up but it leaves me room to expand if I need more gadgets.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/8/21 6:17 a.m.

In reply to ill_climber :

I started to ask why you put it so far away from you then i remembered where the steering wheel is. 

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/9/21 5:10 p.m.

Dash all back in.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/9/21 6:21 p.m.

That's the same steering wheel in the tib. 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/9/21 8:48 p.m.
bobzilla said:

That's the same steering wheel in the tib. 

Same gauges too. And shifter nob. And pedal assembly.  ;)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/21 7:01 a.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath :

Holy crap I never noticed that. 

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/12/21 5:39 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I swapped it with one from a Tiburon to get the leather

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/14/21 1:28 a.m.

Next job was to replace the dead pedal with something better located and to protect my left leg from the sharp dash support. Also needed to support the bottom of the dash fascia. 

I recently bought a bandsaw and have had a press brake for a while. These two tools have revolutionized the quality, speed and design of these types of jobs.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/14/21 3:12 a.m.

In reply to ill_climber :

Beautifully executed.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
2/27/21 11:26 p.m.

Quick little update. Got some small jobs off the list.

I pulled the remaining trim and seatbelts from the rear of the car. Picked up another 14kg loss. Weighed the spare wheel and tool kit, another 18kg there. Looking forward to getting the car on the scales. I think I've pulled around 100kg out of the car and only added a small amount with the larger engine and brakes.

Mounted a fire extinguisher in the passenger foot well and replaced the fuel pump and filter as due diligence. Fun fact about the fuel pump in these Hyundais is it is the same part number as an Evo 8.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/28/21 1:59 a.m.

This is probably good for a front wheel drive hillclimb car, but almost all the weight came out of the back and almost all of the extra weight is forward of the front axle. I think these cars were around 63/37 factory. You might be up around 67/33. With an LSD I'll bet your car rockets out of corners.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/16/21 5:11 a.m.

Onto the exhaust.

So I'm building the exhaust in 3 pieces. The front bit I'm doing at the moment comes off the headers and will run to just in front of the fuel tank. It has a flex joint and a chambered muffler more or less under the gear stick. Next section will go around the fuel tank and over the rear axle. Last piece will run to the back. Straight pipe for race days and a muffler for the street. I'll build the race pipe first just to see how loud it is but guessing it will be loud as and not at all suitable for street use.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/27/21 9:19 p.m.

Some good progress today on the exhaust. Front section is now finished and installed. It ended up more elaborate than I first pictured.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/3/21 7:04 a.m.

Getting very close to the end of the fabrication work on the car now. The next section of the exhaust is built and mounted. This was the trickiest section with five bends needed to navigate the fuel tank and rear torsion beam.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/3/21 10:51 p.m.

Exhaust is done for now. This is my race pipe, as I'm quite confident it will be too loud for much street use. I'll make another section with a second muffler later on.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/7/21 6:51 a.m.

So tonight I finished the fabrication work on the car. A while ago while I was at the wrecking yard I stumbled across a rear swaybar that I thought I could use. It came from the rear of a Mitsubishi Magna wagon (Diamante for the North Americans following along) and was near perfect size and shape. It is 16mm diameter which is the same as aftermarket options for the Getz and mounts without rubbers at the ends.

I dropped the rear torsion beam out of the car and got to work making it fit with cad templates. I took the opportunity to use the mounting brackets as a reinforcement plate for the shock mounts if I later want to ditch the separate coils and fit coil overs. I ended up bending t he ends of the bar by 4.5 degrees to help the packaging. It all went fairly well. A quick lick of paint and it's all bolted back in.

All that's missing now is my ECM. Some progress is being made here so hopefully not too far away.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
7/24/21 4:11 a.m.

So Its been a long stint between updates with the Getz sitting lonely in my front yard until this week.

I finally got my ecm completed. A testament to my dedication of doing things the hard way. A list of minor detail holdups as long as your arm, but the ecm is in and the car now runs. Not without some last minute messing around though.

Last week when I initially connected the ecm nothing worked. That seems weird. Turns out that the numbering on the ecm harness connector vs the ecm connector were mirrored. I had supplied the correct pinout to my mate building the board, but I never looked at the ecm side connector to see it was different. We had it all sorted once we worked out what had happened by repinning 60 or so wires in the harness connector.

Then today I had time to sit down with the laptop, update firmware and load a base tune. A bit of messing around to get the right config and the timing dialed in and away she went. So much relief to hear it run.

A couple of things to sort out before I can get on with the tuning. My wideband o2 doesn't want to read for some reason and the car is insanely loud so will attract too much attention on the street. Fingers crossed, not too far away from a drive.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
8/9/21 5:17 p.m.

It turns out that tuning is a rather steep learning curve. But first I had some issues to sort out.

I tracked down my wideband issue to an incorrect pinning in a connector that fortunately wasn't too hard to get to. For the hundreds of connections I made building the harness I can handle one mistake. 

Next was to sort out a second muffler. I picked up a chambered and baffled unit and welded it in. Also revised the tip location while I was at it.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FZzSAXsDAlV4fJwXYISaz9B1EAVW4HLxPLBZHgFnzA5nrKY8NQmPzHgDVol15HGc