1 2 3 ... 16
Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
10/12/18 10:01 a.m.

Old Cousin Eddie got his automotive start with mini-trucks and Volkswagens. Somewhere back in the early 90's, my Nissan was in Mini-Truckin magazine. Back then, a set of lowering blocks, loosen the torsion bars, and add some wide 15" wheels was all it took to be a parking lot hero. This was before air suspensions and all the radical stuff. 

It was a cool time in life. I was going to school to be an airplane mechanic and working part time at an auto repair shop. A man could build a stand out vehicle for modest money.

Fast forward to today. Cousin Eddie is old and beat up. He wants to revisit some of the joy of earlier times. 

Craigslist turned up a new project....

https://youtu.be/YPcrgHGVg6o

Now I have two Mazdas in my little shop. Notice the ghetto toolbox and jacked up rear bumper were removed before it ever crossed the threshold into the shop.

This little trip back to the hair band era should be fun...

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
10/12/18 10:15 a.m.

Marvelous. 

I too have spent some time in minitrucks - mine were s10's but the principal is the same. 

Excited to see you put the Cousin Eddie touch on this one!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
10/12/18 10:16 a.m.

Sorry, I am failing at getting that Youtube video embedded.

(Yes, the valve cover will be coming off and those tappy valves will be addressed)

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/18 10:21 a.m.

Minitruckin for the win!!! Awesome truck man!

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/12/18 10:26 a.m.

Really like those little Mazda trucks.  Interested in seeing where you go with this.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/12/18 10:26 a.m.

Gotta love the little trucks! Looking forward to this!

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/12/18 10:32 a.m.

Yes.... Following along.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
10/12/18 10:59 a.m.

Miss my 86 Itsabitchi PU.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/12/18 11:41 a.m.

That is awesome!  I used to laugh at the Old People at BJ auctions paying ridiculous money for cars. ..

Now that I am old, and reliving my youth by buying all the cars I had before..I understand it

Can't wait it to see the project. I remember lots of the White/Green Chevy 1500 single cab, lowered, on nice wheels, small side mirrors, bed covers...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/12/18 11:42 a.m.

OH HELL YES!!!!

im a mini trucker/sport truck/mid 90s build style guy. I actually got my best friends 81 b2000 running for the first time in years the other night. Its exactly the same since high school. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/12/18 11:45 a.m.

I had a love hate relationship with my B2200.

It really was a decent, capable, somewhat reliable small truck, but it was the worst driving POS vehicle I've ever owned, and I've owned some real junk.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/18 6:21 p.m.

I dunno man, that yellow splatter paint was pretty radical!

2.2 or 2.6 in the Mazda?

*NVM, watched the vid.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
10/12/18 6:48 p.m.

Around here they cut the roofs off, lowered them and put on the Porsche alloys off the VW with wheel adapters ,

Add some wild grafics and tinted windows......

After that Suzuki  Samurai got the same treatment !

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
10/12/18 7:20 p.m.

In a world populated by giant lifted trucks I applaud the return of the lowered mini truck!

I tip my hat to you

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/18 7:19 a.m.

Radwood Texas!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/13/18 9:39 a.m.

I LOVE mini trucks. But I don't fit in them. So I started with a F150 lightning and am building something similar. Big stereo, very low and soon if i can find them some cooler late 90's early 00's wheels.

Have fun that looks like so much fun to build. Also off the shelf airbag kits can be found cheap for mini trucks. As long as you don;t need to lay frame or drive low then you don;t really need to rework the suspension.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/13/18 9:50 a.m.

A 302 Ford fits in those B's pretty well.  Just saying....

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
10/13/18 10:14 a.m.

DAN-CING BED! DAN-CING BED!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/18 10:32 a.m.

I gotta say, my college room mate has a lowered ram50 with lowering blocks, heated coils, ground effects, and spoiler on the vinyl covered plywood tonneau cover. It handled pretty darn well, was peppy, and turned heads on the stripblush

Mostly unrelated image:

I very much look forward to another Cousin Eddie build-this time with Rad! 

I am of the same approximate age, and while never a car show/magazine guy, the 90s now holds an air of innocent nostalgia. Who knew?

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
10/13/18 10:42 a.m.

Thank you everyone for the positive motivation on this thread.

I'm busy learning and chasing parts. Things should kick off pretty quick. The engine compartment is a hot mess, so that will be project numbero uno. Rockauto inbound...

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/13/18 10:56 a.m.

My last truck was a Hardbody that I bought for the sole reason that they look cool lowered.  I had spindles, 4wd fenders, sway-a-way torsion bars, blocks, de-arced leafs, notch, and Tundra steelies on mine. Needed paint though. *sigh* I miss that truck.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
10/13/18 11:39 a.m.

1989 high school parking lot had to be cooler than 2014 high school parking lot. Ever see broke high school kids try to build lifted bro trucks? It's not pretty.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
10/13/18 11:59 a.m.

A little music to set the mood for the build.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/13/18 12:29 p.m.

My first truck was an 86 Toyota, I too have a soft spot for mini trucks. Everything you build is clean so I'll tag a long for the build.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/13/18 12:42 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

A 302 Ford fits in those B's pretty well.  Just saying....

So does a rotary. Or an f2t. 

1 2 3 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q594Jyhi5JBcHN1prlMZQ84WEZOGTtehd3YRkwWh70XTL9kPmVXh4HGg86rQfT7q