1 2
untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/11/20 2:01 p.m.

Browsing around on marketplace as I usually do, looking at all the overpriced project vehicles that has become the new normal, I see this ad.

Seems cheap for a Cmax, description in the ad only says it doesn't run, he doesn't know what's wrong with it and it must be towed. 

Send the seller a message and find out it's at a small dealership that has had it sitting on the back lot for over a year. A previous sales manager bought it to repair and resell is the story I was told. Has clean title, and is pretty clean looking overall. So I hook up the trailer and go pick it up. Once I got there I found out it was a 2013 with 133k miles on it. He let me use a jump box to verify the mileage and make sure that the dash powers up but that's all it would do. Decide to take a gamble on it, figuring it's worth what I paid for it just in parts. 

This is what I got for $1000. 

So far I've removed the 12v battery and I have it charging. It's an Interstate with 01/20 date on it so if it doesn't work I'll warranty it out.

Anybody have any diy experience with the Cmax? From the little bit of research I've done, I can't find as much of a diy community as the Prius seems to have.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/11/20 2:56 p.m.

Interesting. I have Prius experience but this cmax interests me. 

I think you're gonna want to get research a product called FORSCAN. It is the bootlegged version of Ford Scan/diagnostic software. It should help you "read" what the car is doing/not doing. 

Also search out some internet help about FORSCAN and the Cmax. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/11/20 7:40 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestion of Forscan, I'll look into it. I know basically zero about any hybrid vehicles, SWMBO and I drove a few Prius and one Cmax a few years ago when the wife had a long daily commute but she changed jobs before we made a purchase.

Everything about this is going to be a learning experience. Going to be a few days before I get a chance to mess with it due to work. 

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
11/12/20 2:03 a.m.

Had a co worker with a similar no start issue a few years back. Turned out to be the APIM.

Definitely get forscan and see what's going on there, should tell you a lot.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/12/20 7:07 a.m.

I sort of like those cars. A friend has one but does zero wrenching. I'm in to see it play out.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/15/20 9:30 p.m.

Not much progress today, I installed the fully charged 12v battery, turned the key and... nothing. The dash powers up but turning the key does nothing under the hood. When trying to start it, the dash does display a few warning messages, Stop safely then a image of a wrench. Guess I'll be buying Forscan and an OBD2 bluetooth adapter along with a factory service manual.

I did give it a wash to get all the dirt, mildew and black streaks off the paint. I'll take a few pics tomorrow.

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/20 12:44 a.m.

I really recommend a USB ELM 327 (with a HS/MS CAN switch) for running Forscan.

There are reports of corruptions with bluetooth adapters and you need the switch to be able to access all stuff.

Gustaf

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/16/20 2:13 p.m.
therealpinto said:

I really recommend a USB ELM 327 (with a HS/MS CAN switch) for running Forscan.

There are reports of corruptions with bluetooth adapters and you need the switch to be able to access all stuff.

Gustaf

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at the ones that Forscan recommends to make sure everything works properly.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/16/20 2:15 p.m.

It was so dirty when I bought it, I didn't even realize the car was pearl metallic white until after I washed it. Overall it's really clean for a $1000 car. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/16/20 2:27 p.m.

That is so much car for $1,000.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/16/20 5:58 p.m.
nderwater said:

That is so much car for $1,000.

In the $8k range around here. Sample

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/24/20 4:44 p.m.

Ordered the OBDLink MX+ bluetooth adapter today, Amazon says it will be delivered tomorrow. This is the one that ForScan recommends so hopefully it's worth the $100 compared to the less than $30 a lot of others were.

Hopefully I can get some diagnosis done with ForScan and see what issues I actually have with the car. I'm actually looking forward to driving the car and seeing what kind of MPG I can get out of it.

I did get all the title work done yesterday at the DMV so should have the title back in 2-3 weeks.

Neat=O!

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/1/20 3:29 p.m.

Had a few minutes before night shift the other day to try out ForScan and see what codes the car has...it has alot of codes. Some of the codes are current and some are old codes, I haven't cleared any of the codes yet. Here are a few of the currently active codes.

- P0A92   Hybrid Generator Performance
- P1A10   Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Battery Disabled
- P1A16   Variable Voltage Controller Voltage Control Circuit
- P0B25   Hybrid Battery "A" Voltage Low 
- P0A7D   Hybrid/EV Battery Pack State of Charge Low
- P1A0C   Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Engine Disabled
- B10D7   Passive Anti-theft System (PATS) key not programmed

Next step is to clear the codes and attempt to start the car to see which codes return. I ordered a factory service manual CD off ebay today, so hopefully when it comes in I can do more diagnostic tests.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/1/20 3:35 p.m.

I know this is GRM and all but have you considered taking the car to the Ford dealer, paying the man $175/hr to diagnose it and tell you what to do?  I can't imagine (unless something CANBUS is fried) that it would take much hours for them to tell you the exact components in the Hybrid system to replace. 

Just a thought, excited to see how this one plays out.  Seems like a BUNCH of car for $1K even if it takes another 2-3K to get it rolling.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/1/20 7:46 p.m.

It may eventually come to me having to take it to the dealer for some diagnostic assistance. But for now, I have only spent about $40 on a factory service manual CD, a used factory wiring harness manual and the ForScan app. Going to keep tinkering with it and see what I can figure out. Maybe I'll get stumped and have to bite the bullet and pay the dealer or maybe I'll figure it out on my own. SWMBO and I have 5 vehicles, not counting the Cmax so I don't have any pressure to get it fixed quickly.

Another issue with a dealership looking into it, not many have much experience working on the Cmax from the reading I've done from other owners' experiences online. Not wanting to have them just throw parts at it. I don't mind spending money on getting it fixed, just don't want to waste money on needless parts.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/1/20 8:16 p.m.

If it turns out the battery is unhealthy you can get a whole used battery on Car-Part.com for sub $1k. They come apart easily and low battery modules could be replaced. If you don't want to bother with a whole battery people are selling the individual cells.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/1/20 8:22 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

If it turns out the battery is unhealthy you can get a whole used battery on Car-Part.com for sub $1k. They come apart easily and low battery modules could be replaced. If you don't want to bother with a whole battery people are selling the individual cells.

Yeah, if it does end up being the high voltage battery pack is bad, I'll probably just get a used assembly to replace it with. The Cmax are not known for having issues with the HVB, so finding used ones is pretty easy. May even consider buying a wrecked one from IAA, depending on what I find wrong with the car overall. 

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/1/20 8:42 p.m.

I know with the Volt there are certain OBD Codes related to the high voltage electrical system that can't be cleared with a typical code reader.  I would imagine there are similar ones for the C-Max.  Is there any online support for the Fusion hybrid?  I would bet they use a very similar drive system.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/20 8:58 p.m.

Chris fix did a segment on replacing batteries in a prius.  It didn't look that bad.  He was all about flipping it.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/1/20 9:01 p.m.
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) said:

I know with the Volt there are certain OBD Codes related to the high voltage electrical system that can't be cleared with a typical code reader.  I would imagine there are similar ones for the C-Max.  Is there any online support for the Fusion hybrid?  I would bet they use a very similar drive system.

The ForScan app is basically a knockoff version of the Ford diagnostic software. I'm sure it can't do everything that the dealer level stuff can but should be capable of what I need to do.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/1/20 10:15 p.m.
untchabl said:
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) said:

The ForScan app is basically a knockoff version of the Ford diagnostic software. I'm sure it can't do everything that the dealer level stuff can but should be capable of what I need to do

I've used ForScan successfully to take a look inside the various computers in my NC miata.  It sure is a shame about the name though.  I found an even more obscure program for Nissan and Infiniti folks called Nissan Datascan.

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
12/2/20 12:42 p.m.

I believe this code means the security system is not going to allow the car to even attempt to start. Did you get more than one key when you purchased it? Do the keys look like Ford OEM keys or cheap aftermarket?

- B10D7   Passive Anti-theft System (PATS) key not programmed

You can use Forscan to add keys but it may require one properly programmed key to do so.  

I'd imagine the hybrid battery is dead from sitting so long, hopefully it will come back with a charge (from the engine running).

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/2/20 3:45 p.m.

I only have one key, it appears to be a stock Ford key. I wonder if the key or the car has somehow lost the programming. However, I'm fairly certain the car has other issues besides the key programming since it was traded in at a Honda dealership in South Carolina, then the small mom & pop dealership I got it from bought it from the Honda dealership. From what I was told, the car did not run when either dealership had it.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
12/2/20 6:54 p.m.

Sounds like trying to get the key working with the car is step one. Might be a good time to sublet that job to the dealer.  Once the key works, you can start tackling the other codes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z2Njl5JsgwhZ5rWeDyX9BNad0ztj0zzllvqeGiVVoVBCG9IywBU9S6lzTxNLMSxt