1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Tberg
Tberg New Reader
4/27/20 11:55 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Thanks, I still think this 50 year old design is among the best ever made.

Tberg
Tberg New Reader
4/27/20 12:02 p.m.

Newest project just came out of the paint booth last Thursday.  It's my favortie car of all time, and drawing pictures of it 52 years ago in high school kept me awake for the three years of boredom known as high school.  It's a 1968 Pontiac GTO, complete with the Endura front bumper (which would forever change the way cars would be built going forward), hidden headlights, and hood mounted tachometer.  Attached are the first three photos taken right after it got its clear coat on.  The hood and hood mounted tachometer are being sprayed today, and then a race to finish the engine and the interior.  Hopefully, I'll be driving her sometime in May.  Can't wait!  More pictures to come when we can role it outside in the sun.  We kept the build mostly stock with the exception of adding disc brakes to all four corners which necessitated larger wheels.  We added 17" gold wheels which I thought would look great against the green paint but which still had a classic, period correct look.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 New Reader
6/1/20 10:51 a.m.

1966 ford ranchero.

200ci straight 6 (converting to a small block v8)

3 speed auto (converted from a 3-on-the-tree to auto, we r converting it back to a 4spd manual)

8 inch rear diff

body work is a pita...

sanding really takes it out of me

finding parts is a pita 

don't ever buy a 66 ranchero, unless it is already restored. you can't find new parts anywhere for these things... 

this car is in beautiful condition tho. we couldn't resist. 

no frame rust, only bad thing is that the batt leaked and ate the batt tray alive. some of the inner ender as well. 

can you tell i don't like paragraphs?

if y'all want any more info, just ask

PartsAndProjects
PartsAndProjects None
6/2/20 12:40 p.m.

1940 Plymouth 2d Sedan. Needed lots of metal work, still does...in the process of channeling the body over an S10 chassis. 

Have to make or modify a lot, both to keep it a low budget project and because it ain't easy to get parts.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/8/20 4:07 p.m.

I cant seem to stay away from subarus...its an addiction I think. The current project daily driver is a 2005 legacy wagon 5 spd. So far nothing really crazy has been done, but the original set of coilovers I put on it a year or so ago are pretty much toast, so by this winter I predict replacing them again with hopefully something that will hold up better and work better too. Suspension components otherwise have been upgraded with bigger bars front and rear, adjustable rear lower control arms, some white line ball joints for lowered cars, a custom exhaust system including headers for a bit more racket than stock provided. Wheels are 17x8 with 235/45-17 tires that fit very nicely within the stock bodywork. The only other powerplant mod was a K&N element in the stock airbox. Would love to find someone who could do a more aggressive tune to this thing and allow me to eliminate the cat...I'm a dog person after all. :) Brakes were updated with crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads front and rear and brake fluid replaced with long life dot4 synthetic. So it handles pretty well stops well too and if it had a few more horsepower I would call it done...there doesnt seem to be much in the aftermarket for engine mods (other than a turbo) to make these 2.5 liter engines make power. If anyone knows of anything significant please let me know. 

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/8/20 4:09 p.m.

does anyone here fool with NA subaru engines?

Belgiandoc
Belgiandoc GRM+ Member
7/15/20 8:00 p.m.

Finally after untold years of lurking, I am joining up and seeing if I can actually get some projects done. I have big ideas but not very much time to do them so these are multi multi year projects. I finally finished my shop so now I have 2700 sq feet with light and power and air lines so I'm running out of excuses to not get stuff done. 

Project one 

2003 yamaha roadstar 1600, full on mod and rehab. It's in pieces now and I am slowly working on fixing the rat's nest of wiring the PO left me. Well, that and fixing mistakes I keep making.

Project 2

1981 Volvo 2 series wagon

This fun little brick needs new wiring. Plan for this one is a sleeper drift machine. Staying with a redblock adding a 16v head forged internals and a big ol turbo. Ford 9 inch and nissan transmission to keep it together! BREMBO atv brakes to stop it. As of right now its collecting dust while I try to finish the yammy.

Project 3

1992 VW corrado SLC

Sentimental favorite as I have had it since I was in high school. Toasted head, hasn't run in 10 years.  I want to bring it back to 90's modified with period correct mods. 

Project 4

1966 Ford Country Squire.

The big bad! This thing is going to be ridiculous. Plan calls for as much hp as I can get from a gt500 engine. Custom frame , air ride the whole 10 yards. All that and still fit 10 people!

So its nuts and I would like to get it done before my kids get married ( youngest is 5) wish me luck!

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/20 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Belgiandoc :

I've lusted after a Corrado since I first set eyes on one. Never driven one and never known anyone that owned one. Definitely a car worth bringing back from the dead even if only for sentimental reasons.

As for the wagons...hot damn I love your plan for the Volvo! Please start a build thread for it ASAP.

Beelzeboss
Beelzeboss
8/25/20 6:12 p.m.

Early days but I'm building a hot rod

Fairly unconventional:

• 1946 Ford Deluxe Ute chassis so I can register it more easily here in Australia
  • Mechanicals from a 1993 Toyota Soarer / Lexus SC400 (including 4L 1UZ-FE engine, front and rear suspension subframes, steering, brakes, etc.)
  • Turbocharged, though I'm not sure whether to use a Borg Warner S366 or twin Evo TD05HRA's with the titanium exhaust wheels. I have both setups in the garage, leaning towards the twins.
  • Auto to begin with, will convert to manual at a later date
  • 1942 Willys CJ2A Jeep body made from aluminium, because it's the simplest pre-1949 body I could think of to make, and fits in with the hot-rod rego system we have

All being done on a pretty tight budget, so far I think I'm into it about $3500 AUD

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
9/7/20 7:51 a.m.

My Challenge car (if I ever get it done). Home built tubular chassis, 5.3 aluminum LS/350TH, 1973 Corolla shell, Miata front suspension and steering, 4-link Ford 8.8 rearend.

livinon2wheels said:

I cant seem to stay away from subarus...its an addiction I think. The current project daily driver is a 2005 legacy wagon 5 spd. So far nothing really crazy has been done, but the original set of coilovers I put on it a year or so ago are pretty much toast, so by this winter I predict replacing them again with hopefully something that will hold up better and work better too. Suspension components otherwise have been upgraded with bigger bars front and rear, adjustable rear lower control arms, some white line ball joints for lowered cars, a custom exhaust system including headers for a bit more racket than stock provided. Wheels are 17x8 with 235/45-17 tires that fit very nicely within the stock bodywork. The only other powerplant mod was a K&N element in the stock airbox. Would love to find someone who could do a more aggressive tune to this thing and allow me to eliminate the cat...I'm a dog person after all. :) Brakes were updated with crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads front and rear and brake fluid replaced with long life dot4 synthetic. So it handles pretty well stops well too and if it had a few more horsepower I would call it done...there doesnt seem to be much in the aftermarket for engine mods (other than a turbo) to make these 2.5 liter engines make power. If anyone knows of anything significant please let me know. 

Nice wagon, and nice choice of modifications (although I'm not a fan of the drilled rotors). I'm a big fan of white cars too.

I'm back in a Subaru for the first time in 20 years, with my 04 WRX wagon. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into too much of a project, I don't do much of my own work anymore.

I was planning to do my own timing belt until a hand injury last month. It's also had the pre – cat up pipe replaced. Currently has an oil leak at the turbo and needs to have surge under boost sorted out. Then I can start adressing things like the lack of cruise control or the non-functioning front windshield washer.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/18/20 9:38 p.m.

Still working on the car I started on in 2016. Though it has changed direction and almost ended on the scrap pile several times since then.

Highlights:

90 corvette

99 gtp motor

97 camaro transmission

2010 Kawasaki zx10R coil overs

Holden Commodore supercharger

We are about 3\4 done.

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
10/6/20 9:44 a.m.

Fixing up this Z31 I graciously plucked from @HouserRacing 

Sat for many years with window partially down, rat moved in under the hood and fuel tank insides look like the Titanic. 

Probably not worthy of a build thread until it figures out what it wants to be when it grows up. Plan to Autox/Rallyx and enjoy local mountain roads.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 8:21 p.m.

I'm trying the twin turbo station wagon again with a 2012 Ford Flex Titanium EcoBoost AWD and this time I already started modifying it. 12's or bust!

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
10/27/20 7:44 a.m.

My JDM Mini 1000 I've resto-modded over the past year.  Few details to finish up but a solid 95% and the first car in a long while I want to finish.  

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
10/27/20 7:48 a.m.

My 1980 1275GT Mini Clubman    Was built as a track car a few years ago along with big 4 pot brakes, coil springs and a stonking 1380 motor.  She needs some sorting and sadly an engine rebuild (spun a bearing minutes after unloading her at my house when I bogged her)   

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/27/20 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

id leave it alone other then some 2" duals with porters <3<3<3

mainstreettattoo
mainstreettattoo New Reader
10/31/20 8:18 p.m.

383 stroker high preference build going in my 76 nova ss 

Recently crushed dream 

$14,000 in and having major issues. 

keith Cahill
keith Cahill New Reader
11/15/20 2:19 p.m.

Considering modifying my 73 Super beetle for Rallycross as Covid has killed the 24 hour race scene out here and Lemons isnt even coming to Washington next year. Its been a sunny day driver the past couple years about 15k on it since 2016.

Originally build here:  https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659156&highlight=

Already has:

1679 rotating assembly w/ lightened flywheel and kennedy stage 1 balanced as unit
ACN L3 heads 1.1 rockers
Webcam 218 grind type 1 cam with 108 LC
Dual 40 IDFs w/ 28 venturis

Full Topline front end (currently lowered 2 inches i would raise it back to stock)
Topline front disc brake kit
Topline Stport+ springs (Maybe swap these out for Sport+ rally if clearance is an issue?)
Topline Stress Bar (connects strut mounts)

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
11/21/20 8:36 p.m.

Checking in. Exotruck is multiplying

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/21/20 9:58 p.m.

In reply to mainstreettattoo :

What issues????

I haven't checked in a while-lots of cool stuff going on here.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/27/20 9:41 p.m.

The last X fell through 1 1/2 years ago when I had some health issues. This one has been pretty nicely cleaned up with oem parts by an obviously fastidious Xer. Just going to pull a couple hundred pounds and modify the suspension and throw some 13" Nankang NS-2R Sportnexes on the Cromadora Daytona CD31 wheels. WooHoo! Road Trip! The Toad (Boxster) has a stable mate coming!

ahhgaragetime
ahhgaragetime New Reader
11/28/20 2:36 p.m.

Here's my hotrod 911 made from a scrap shell.

Hope to drive it around the block before the end of the year.

TeamMC
TeamMC GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/1/21 7:47 p.m.

1983 Volvo 244.  Already completed a bunch of suspension upgrades.  Going to put on my " big boy" pants and rip into NA power upgrades.  More compression, more cam.  If that works, more intake, more exhaust.  These cars are a blast.  So simple and very rewarding to upgrade.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DMiniAJwC0hLqaqIWb29wilkajUXPhuRWnexskep8t4dK0JmhDP7gcFz8I8NZXH2