volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/27/19 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I see what you did just there.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/4/19 2:24 p.m.

The family headed off to Dicken's family Christmas in Spartanburg. I get home at 5:30, plug in the car, we get back something like 8:30 and the charging light is not on! Oh no! I look around and try to see what's up.

It was fully charged. That's incredible. The math checks out, but it's still wild to me.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/19 3:18 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I suck at art, but here’s my best effort.  Black is hood color, yellow is stripe color.  When you mask the hood for the stripe, you lay down the outline of the lightning bolt with maybe 1/2”-wide masking tape.  Then paint the stripe.  Then peel masking and you’re left with a hood-colored outline of a stripe-colored lightning bolt.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/12/19 8:19 a.m.

Tuesday I was in a flyin hurry. I drove home quickly, and forgot to plug it in at night. The next day, I took off, briefly fearful, before remembering the super range of these things. All the way to work and back again (80 miles) with the heat on, then our to church and back, then out to the grocery store and back, and it's still fine. Wednesday morning it's fully charged and ready to go.

Unbelievable.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/19 10:30 a.m.

There's a battery size where range anxiety stops becoming an issue, especially in real life as opposed to the "but what if I want to go visit my sister in Rhode Island??" scenario. I think it's around the 200 mile range. We've gone 4-5 days a couple of times without charging for various reasons.

How does the Bolt do heat? Heat pump or resistive? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/12/19 10:45 a.m.

It's complicated, and pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ILkLUE3Zxc

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/22/20 8:07 a.m.

Two super small updates:

The Siemens Versicharger I use starting giving a fault in the morning. I didn't care for a long time. I finally called, and they are super responsive. I am currently running through a few charging scenarios to seen if I can perturb the issue, but the car is always fully charged in the morning, so it's the smallest of priorities.

In the never-ending bluetoothand/or android audio frustration, for some reason my phone messed with the audio system yesterday and on the way to work I couldn't turn the volume up. I wish bluetooth would work as well as it should work.

The car? Yeah, it's still amazing. 

Keith Tanner
4/23/20 9:36 a.m.

Bluetooth drives me crazy. Audio was a solved problem for years - an analog signal on a standardized 1/8" jack. The last thing I want to do while driving is troubleshoot my sound system. I miss headphone jacks on phones and aux jacks on cars.

What sort of fault was the charger reporting? It's weird that it was reporting a problem yet still getting the job done.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
4/23/20 9:58 a.m.

Just a red halo light and a "4" code, which is not a troubleshooting path publicly available. It's clever that they use the display normally used to display the delay before charging in hours, and that it's failure mode is to charge the car anyway. It's a dumb charger, which is what I wanted. I hope they can diagnose or replace it, but either way it's 100% functional. 

I'm running four scenarios:

Remote start, 100% batt charge

Remote start, 80% batt charge

No remote start, 100% batt charge

No remote start, 80% batt charge

Keith Tanner
4/23/20 10:17 a.m.

"Remote start" as in you are telling the car to start charging? I'm guessing this is a way to schedule charging so it takes place at off-peak times?

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
4/24/20 7:03 a.m.

No that's a different feature. Actually, I suppose two. You can tell the car to start charging at a specific time or to a specific state of charge. You can also tell the charger to start charging after a delay of 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours. I don't use either because electricity is the same cost every hour for my region.

In the morning, I hit a button, and the house makes my car warm and toasty, heats up the seat and the wheel for me. I don't need it much these days of Spring, but when I spoke to the tech at Siemens, we were hypothesizing about the failure mode. The charger is saying something like "Whoa, that charge ended weirdly and I am confused about it"

bruceman
bruceman Reader
4/24/20 4:56 p.m.

I haven't read through all of this but if there is any technical information you need or assistance with issues to do with the propulsion system (battery, drive unit, charging etc.) of the Bolt let me know as I'm very intimate with it as a GM engineer.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
5/1/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to bruceman :

Deal:

First off, the thing is quick enough, and I don't have a complaint.

When I nail the accelerator from a stop, I can feel it adding more and more power gradually. I presume this is some sort of intentional limitation to save something. Am I correct? Which components is it saving? Is it a current limitation or a mechanical limitation?

bruceman
bruceman Reader
5/5/20 9:08 p.m.
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bruceman :

Deal:

When I nail the accelerator from a stop, I can feel it adding more and more power gradually. I presume this is some sort of intentional limitation to save something. Am I correct? Which components is it saving? Is it a current limitation or a mechanical limitation?

I'll dig in to it

bruceman
bruceman Reader
5/6/20 8:39 a.m.
bruceman said:
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bruceman :

Deal:

I'll dig in to it

So you may be feeling the torque shaping that has been done to reduce driveline noises as the motor can respond so quickly generating clunking noises. If lash in the driveline is detected shaping immediately occurs through a launch. There is more torque shaping in One Pedal Drive due to this and there is different shaping in Sport Mode as you'd expect.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
5/6/20 8:46 a.m.

In reply to bruceman :

Got it. That's clever. I always always always drive in regen mode. One pedal driving is amazing. I want it to be a ten year car minimum, and the goal is to never need brake pads.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
5/12/20 1:15 p.m.

This morning I went out (after exercising in my living room quietly) and found out, horror of horrors, that I forgot to plug it in last night! Oh no! So I got in it and went to work, because range anxiety isn't a thing anymore, even when I forget to charge and have to repeat a long trip again.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
5/15/20 7:11 a.m.
bruceman said:

I haven't read through all of this but if there is any technical information you need or assistance with issues to do with the propulsion system (battery, drive unit, charging etc.) of the Bolt let me know as I'm very intimate with it as a GM engineer.

Two questions.

It seems after I stop I have to wait a half beat before hitting park, otherwise I get a strange grinding noise. I can't imagine what is actually doing the grinding. I don't do it. It's pretty OK to ask the driver to wait until the vehicle is stopped before engaging park, but I don't understand what's still moving.

I love remote start. I understand that in addition to the creature comforts, it also preps the battery by getting it to temperature and cycling the battery coolant system. That makes all sorts of sense. Assuming the proper temperature for the battery isn't ambient 'nice weather', is there still a benefit to battery life and longevity by using remote start every day? For instance if I assume the battery wants to be at 65C for proper life and performance, and I giving up some longevity of the battery by leaving the house at 20C and letting it come up to temp by itself over the first few miles?

Thanks!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/2/20 7:17 a.m.

Smoosh

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/2/20 7:21 a.m.

I got hit by a guy who got hit by a guy. I bumped the guy ahead of us just enough to push my screws through his bumper. The three of us were stopped with brakes on.

The Corolla guy was shaken up and did get an ambulance ride, but I think he was fine. The rest of us were fine, but the kid at the back, jeez. Then his family came and I totally got it.

Anyway the bodyshop has had it for a week. They had codes due to sensors and stuff that got damaged under the bumpers front and rear. I was supposed to take delivery yesterday but I made them go back and buff the bumper covers. GM did a way better job on the clear than they did. He asked if I have had it buffed or a really good detail done somewhere. I didn't have the heart to say "I bought it would 3K miles on it almost a year ago and haven't once washed it other than the drive through deal the one time." so GM getys  kudos for that.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/2/20 7:47 a.m.

They provided a rental car. It's an amusing story. I requested a mid sized car (long commute etc) and also gas reimbursement since my EV doesn't take gas. They happily oblige. The hitt-ers insurance, Progressive, is actually really easy to work with. The body shop I chose is close to my house, and Enterprise delivered and picks up cars there. Nice.

I get there on a rainy day, drop my car off first thing. First thing for them means I'm an hour late for work minimum. Enterprise had no power. Nice. They went around and borrowed some tablets from other stores, and a barely-above-teen girl brings me a car maybe an hour after I dropped off the car. It's a Hyundai Tuscon. She tells me it's a free upgrade from the Altima/Camry because that's what they had. I get in and buzz off to work. And buzz I do. Wow. This thing had 37,000 miles. It buzzed like it was a honeybee. It pulled all over anywhere but straight (probably because of Enterprise picking tires by "black and round" criteria), and smelled like an ashtray. I had a migraine by the time I got to work because of the smell. So here's where I diverge from the narrative. I have read, especially as a domestic car sympathizer, car journalists talk about "hard interior plastics" and lack of cohesion in interior textures, and never really got it. I drove the same cars and I thought they were all fine. I drove the cars they waxed about, and thought they were also fine. This thing had all of that in bucketloads. Every texture was a new and exciting variety of "miserable hard plastic". Every panel didn't seem to fit. The steering wheel felt like the $20 Logitech that I bought in 1999 to play NASCAR 2 on my K6 400 MHz computer, but with worse texture and feedback.

I called Enterprise once I got quasi-caught up at work. "Yeah man, I mean we have some other cars, like a Sonic, and a Versa, and uhmm... that's it really" Nice. "What are your hours today?", "8:30-5:00", "So that doesn't help me much. I work too far away to get to you between those hours.", "huh. OK", "Do you think there's any way you guys could get this swapped out for me?", "Well, I mean, our hours are 8:30-5:00", "yeah, got that. Can you transfer between stores? If I call Enterprise out here, will they exchange cars for me?", "huh, yeah, I mean, maybe."

Migraine was getting worse.

"Hello Enterprise near-where-I-work?, I got this [insert story from above]"

"Yeah come on over, we have a few cars over here. I think we have an Altima and a Soul and an SUV"

I get in the store and she tries to hand me the keys to a Mitsubishi. I said "I distinctly remember you saying Altima". She says, "hmm, hang on... I have a Camry, right out front!" Bingo.

I check out the Camry, and by "check out", I mean "smell". It smells like a car. Nice. I go to get my stuff out, and I had an empty Panera coffee cup amongst other things. "Aww, you got Panera coffee and you didn't get me one?"

"I'll get you one, it's right down the road"

"Aww, I mean, it's okay.

I take a dark roast, black."

It was worth taking the time to bring the poor girl a coffee to avoid future migraines.

So I have had the Camry for a week now. It's OK. Interestingly, it isn't "good", it's comfy enough. It's fine inside, but really the Bolt is better in every category. It's a I4, so the Bolt is faster. The Bolt has more space. The Camry has a rather large overhang front and rear, and it doesn't have more cargo or seating than the Bolt. Also, the Camry front end is iffy after staring at it for a while. The rear is fine, and the shape is good, but the grill openings... I don't know. If I had bought a Camry, I would be disappointed. 

Keith Tanner
9/2/20 10:32 a.m.

But now you can jump in the Toyota and drive all the way to San Francisco while only stopping for 30s every six hours to refuel!

ICE cars make such a fuss about moving around compared to an EV. Sorry to hear about the bump to the Bolt. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SP1Cm74qwO4QHSR6haVWPDkinkMranCpLtuFCljs6MtYtlJtc21npYOBkAdQ2hah