1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56
Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/19 7:23 p.m.

Got a cool little bead rolling tool from Jegs that lets me buy cheap pieces of aluminum pipe and cut them to the desired length. Version 2 of my coolant/intake web seems to fit much better. Knocking out the remaining steps 1 by 1. 

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
1/10/19 1:18 p.m.

This is awesome! Quick work, too. 

I want one of those bead rolling kits.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/19 2:42 p.m.

Thanks Ed!  I’ve been debating on taking the car to our local chassis reinforcement guru (for subframe reinforcements) or giving it a shot on my own. Today I took a major step toward doing it on my own - slapped a down payment on a 40x40 metal shop building.  Eventually it will have a lift and I’ll be able to do the welding without laying on my back under jack stands. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/19 6:48 p.m.

Shes off the jack stands!  Next stop, exhaust shop. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/19 7:16 p.m.

Car is looking great! Those wheels really pop.

You can definitely do the reinforcements yourself, now that you have a welder if you screw it up you just cut it out and try again! Remember, grinder and paint make you the welder you ain't.

Adam 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/19 9:38 a.m.

Exhaust shop!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/19 12:39 p.m.

E36 LS1 first drive!

ive got some fine tuning to do but she is fun!!

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/19/19 3:40 p.m.

It sounds good. Damn good.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/19 2:43 p.m.

Working on layout ideas and researching lifts...at work  lol  

Also, I found that fender rolling tools are about $25 these days on eBay.  That’s a solid investment  

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/24/19 6:54 p.m.

If you don't mind me asking who you are using for the shoot and a rough cost.

I've been weighing options over here on the east coast.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/19 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

I’m using Southeast Building and Shed out of Zephyrhills. They’re giving me a turn-key deal on a 40x40x14 tubular steel building (12 gauge tubes - most other companies were quoting me with 14 gauge), (2) 12x12 roll up doors, (2) walk doors, (4) windows, roof insulation, install, permits, 4000 psi concrete slab, site prep and engineered drawings. It’s right at 40k.

I could probably save a few bucks by dealing with the permits myself and shopping for the lowest bidder to do the slab and site prep but I feel there are some advantages to having them do everything. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/25/19 6:43 a.m.

That's not bad at all.  I'm all over the place.  You see the 40x40s advertised around $20k with no concrete, site prep etc.  I got some quotes and quickly realized you basically double the price of the building.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/19 7:31 a.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

yeah, the concrete is very expensive and unfortunately, nothing about the process is cheap.  That cost does not include any electrical or lift, but I do have an electrician buddy who gives me a great deal when he does side work for me.  I'll dig the trench to bring the power to the garage and let him take it from there.  Also found a local lift supplier/installer who will sell and install me an 11k pound 2-post for $3k total.  I want to coat the floor with Rust-bullet product and build a wooden loft on one side 8'x40'.  Costs just keep piling on and on and on...and I haven't even broken ground yet!

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/25/19 7:44 a.m.

My only advice is to check the previous work of the guys doing your shop. References are worth their weight in gold, and if they have a whole crew that works together, that's even better than trying to get subs to do work for you. I've gone down the cheapest bid route before, and every friggin time it's a disaster that cost me way more in the end. High stress and dolla' bills yo. I finally realized the guys who charge more are on time, up front about any issues, and best of all stand behind their work. They actually act like it's their job and not just a paycheck.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/19 8:47 a.m.
captainawesome said:

My only advice is to check the previous work of the guys doing your shop. References are worth their weight in gold, and if they have a whole crew that works together, that's even better than trying to get subs to do work for you. I've gone down the cheapest bid route before, and every friggin time it's a disaster that cost me way more in the end. High stress and dolla' bills yo. I finally realized the guys who charge more are on time, up front about any issues, and best of all stand behind their work. They actually act like it's their job and not just a paycheck.

This kind of sums up why I went with these guys.  They have good reviews, I got to look at and stand inside one of their buildings, and all of the crews are their employees - sitework, concrete, and building construction - nothing is being subbed out.  AND they were the best price I got quoted for a "turn key" project.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/19 9:28 p.m.

Some fender roll, some front ground controls in place and some fancy color matched strut bar. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/25/19 9:34 p.m.

The whole install looks really clean and well done. What's the overall plan/use for this mo-cheen again?

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/19 9:52 p.m.
captainawesome said:

The whole install looks really clean and well done. What's the overall plan/use for this mo-cheen again?

Well thank you!  It’ll be used for track days and autocross mostly. Some occasional street drives and might even give a shot at some drifting. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/19 5:32 p.m.

A few weeks ago, the wife and I had a few friends over to play in the backyard. One of her girl friends had so much fun riding the 4 wheeler around the track that she went out and bought herself one!  So this weekend we took em all out riding.  We met up with some friends out in North Port who were camping for the weekend. 

The area is very interesting. The subdivision roads were all laid out in the 70s or 80s. The town has grown significantly in the time since, but for some reason, there are several square miles of roads out east of the highway that have remained undeveloped. Theres a certain lawlessness that exists out there - miles and miles of atv trails, mud bog pits, make-shift shooting targets and illegal dump sites are all over the place. It’s a fun place to spend the day riding trails, but I don’t have any desire to spend the night. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/19 7:50 a.m.
ctk339
ctk339 New Reader
1/28/19 11:08 a.m.

lS swap turned out awesome 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/19 1:58 p.m.
ctk339 said:

lS swap turned out awesome 

Thanks!  I am pretty happy with it so far, but I still have some things to resolve before I can shred with it like I plan to - install M3 rear subframe and brakes, rear subframe/chassis reinforcements, alignment/corner balance and brake fine tuning.  The Chase Bays kit has a bias controller and I can tell the manual brake setup will need some tuning and practice to optimize. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/19 2:49 p.m.

Still really thinking about a Chase Bays kit for my e28....

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/28/19 3:16 p.m.

Love the LS swap. Sounds lovely.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
1/29/19 12:21 p.m.

Car looks great. Good work.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dRDxebkKfGs0uPvj8IVUrQUOnenTRC7yJ49IWxywWUOYEu2vC3LIB1C5K4LG3f8o