1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 56
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/20 8:19 p.m.

im still thinking of a rally truck, since a truck would be useful around the house anyway.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/20 8:28 p.m.
MrChaos said:

im still thinking of a rally truck, since a truck would be useful around the house anyway.

Do it!  Cheap, durable, useful, fun, and different!

MrChaos
4/20/20 9:00 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
MrChaos said:

Do it!  Cheap, durable, useful, fun, and different!

my issue is people think trucks are worth their weight in gold here.

i either want a rcsb 1/2 ton or an extended cab little truck.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/21/20 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Thanks! That exactly the info and feedback i needed. I love following your projects. Keep them coming :) 

java230
java230 UberDork
4/21/20 1:33 p.m.

Nardo gray is on the top of the contender list for my IH. And you stole that paint job. 

Lof8 - Andy
4/21/20 2:02 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

No problem. And thanks!

Lof8 - Andy
4/22/20 9:56 a.m.

Welp, I may be selling the Ranger and pursuing a SXS rallycross toy.  SCCA appears to be near making it official. Right now the Yamaha yxz is at the top of my list with its sequential manual trans. Anyone want to buy a sweet ranger? $5k

java230
java230 UberDork
4/22/20 11:15 a.m.

The SXS class will be a blast if they do it. Power to weight in a small package.....

Lof8 - Andy
4/24/20 9:56 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Well, maybe I'm taking a gamble on the class being adopted.  But I've been researching and shopping these things non-stop for the past 4 days. Found this 2016 for $8k in Mississippi. Less than 1000 miles on it. I'm leaving at 5am to get it.  That's significantly less than the next cheapest one I could find.  I'm digging the throwback livery. 

java230
java230 UberDork
4/25/20 9:57 a.m.

Sweet! 

Lof8 - Andy
4/25/20 3:38 p.m.

The trip started out kind of fun. Hit my first Buc-ee's. That was impressive. And a tunnel.  

then, in Mobile, AL, a kid missed his exit and decided to blindly rip the wheel across 3 lanes and smacked into my trailer. The impact was pretty violent and I thought for sure he caught the bed of the truck too.  But luckily not.

Now my trailers sitting in some Mobile tow yard and I'm stuck trying to find a uhaul to rent. Got one about an hour and a half out of my way. I write this post as I sit at the Uhaul spot waiting for the worker to return from his lunch break. I hope things improve from here. 

edit: just got a call from the kids insurance company. They're going to pick up the trailer from the tow yard and bring it somewhere for repairs. So that's cool!  Hopefully they deliver it to FL too. 

Lof8 - Andy
4/25/20 6:06 p.m.

Headed home. This thing is rowdy as berkeley. There's going to be a learning curve to get good and smooth with it. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/20 7:56 p.m.

Bummer about the trailer but the side-by-side looks awesome! We're considering them for our NEOhio group up here. 

Lof8 - Andy
4/26/20 9:46 a.m.

First impressions: 1) the clutch and throttle are basically on/off switches. It's very difficult to be smooth. There is a "heavy hitter" flywheel that's supposed to easily alleviate these issues. I've already got one ordered. For this thing to be any fun on trails or for my wife to drive, it better work as advertised. I'm willing to give up some power for driveability.  
2) the engine is much happier between 8-12k than anywhere else. It's a freakin blast ripping and banging gears. 
3)  if I can't make it significantly more driver friendly, I may have to sell it and pursue a CVT model.  It's a race machine with almost no compromise toward any other function. 
4) the shock bodies have a lot of threads to drop the ride height. I'll tend to that after I get some sleep. Running on about 3 hours sleep in the last 30 hours. 
5) the machine seems 100% mechanically, but has its fair share of dings, scrapes, a few plastic cracks and a little surface rust in a couple spots. I guess that's expected for the cheapest one on the market by a few K. Feels like a solid deal

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/26/20 11:41 a.m.

Wait. It's a manual trans? That makes me even more interested. I've actually not enjoyed the side-by-side experience so much because the CVTs are impossible to drive slowly.

java230
java230 UberDork
4/26/20 12:05 p.m.

Interesting you think a cvt may be better now! Get some sleep and try some more drives. 

Lof8 - Andy
4/26/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Yep, 5 speed sequential manual. 

MrChaos
4/26/20 12:11 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

Wait. It's a manual trans? That makes me even more interested. I've actually not enjoyed the side-by-side experience so much because the CVTs are impossible to drive slowly.

yes the Yamaha YXZ's are 5 speed sequential manuals and the Honda Talon's are 8 speed dct's, the rest are cvt's

MrChaos
4/26/20 12:16 p.m.

I am going to wait on the rules to come out before i decide on what rig to look at. I cant find anything that i want to run for RWD or FWD locally. Plus I am writing this season off for rallycross because of covid.

Lof8 - Andy
4/26/20 12:20 p.m.
java230 said:

Interesting you think a cvt may be better now! Get some sleep and try some more drives. 

Well I guess "better" is relative. I don't think they're the better for performance/reliability but 99% of the SXS around FL are CVT and they appear to be very easy to operate. I'm mostly thinking of trail riding and my wife driving when I consider that route. 

Lof8 - Andy
4/26/20 4:54 p.m.

alright!  After day 1 of wrenching and playing with it, I'm pretty sure I love it. I dialed the spring collars up (lowered it) on all 4 corners as far as I could before the springs would lose tension at full droop. This resulted in about a 2.5" drop all around and a slight rear rake.  The track width gained an inch also to 65". I've become basically proficient with starts from a stop and my wife did a few as well. I'm hoping the heavy flywheel will take it a step further into "easy" starts. That would put me into fully pumped mode. 

I did several laps around the neighborhood and there's a good chance everyone hates me!  It handles better with the new stance and really feels good. There's a pretty audible gear whine, the exhaust is loud and the clicks with gear changes are audible over all the other noise. It really engages all of your senses. Has the feel of an all-out race car with straight cut gears. It is not a relaxing experience in any way. Lol.  This will be a fun rallyx vehicle. It'll be faster than my ranger for sure. Will it be faster than all the cars?  I dunno. But it will be fun to see. 

oh yeah. It needs some non mud tires too. 

MrChaos
4/26/20 5:33 p.m.

also 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/26/20 6:45 p.m.
MrChaos said:

What on earth is happening with that rear track? 

MrChaos
4/26/20 7:19 p.m.

i think it has aftermarket arms on it because the front arms are aftermarket bent arms.

here are the other pics of it

Lof8 - Andy
4/27/20 12:13 p.m.

That rally prepped rig looks all kinds of strange with those extra fenders and flaps. 

I found that the machine has a 5th brake rotor and caliper on the rear driveshaft - interesting

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L9TdbAPToJJsNI7Eg3Rx9yfYJVeyhUQQUs1Giu243R1D2z55aurpk9K2yNK5TpWD