1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 56
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/20 12:45 p.m.

likely for the handbrake

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/27/20 2:07 p.m.

Wow, that is not what I expected that to look like under the skin.  I was expecting bike motor/trans with a chain drive diff like a fsae car.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/20 2:25 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Wow, that is not what I expected that to look like under the skin.  I was expecting bike motor/trans with a chain drive diff like a fsae car.

Just a note - that photo was taken without any skin removed.  The rear part of the driveline is this exposed all the time.

MrChaos
4/27/20 2:54 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

most sxs' are mid rear engines with transaxles and transfer cases

Lof8 - Andy
4/27/20 4:39 p.m.
MrChaos said:

likely for the handbrake

You're right. It's the handbrake. And it was out of adjustment. 

MrChaos
4/27/20 4:57 p.m.

yea a pinion brake is easier to do for 4x4's 

Lof8 - Andy
4/28/20 3:10 p.m.

It came with a push bar that was all twisted and broken. So I cut and welded some new brackets and gave it a coat of paint. 

there's a rallyx at the firm coming up late may that allows you to enter SXSs. I'm hoping to whip this thing into shape in time. Getting the ranger sold would be a nice help to the budget. And even though I shouldn't have yet...I ordered a set of 10" wide wheels and a/t tires.  They're going to add about another 5" of total width with their lower offset and also drop it down at least another inch compared to the oversized mud tires on it now. . Same setup this guy is running:

edit: so the owner of this blue car gave me bad info about his wheels. They're 14x7, not 10. Thanks dude. So I'm trying to get it corrected with the Ebay seller before they ship out :/  and I'm gaining  3" of width instead of 5"

Lof8 - Andy
4/29/20 7:25 a.m.

The ranger sold last night. YXZ cage getting ordered today. 

MrChaos
4/29/20 7:43 a.m.

My only concern is the wheelbase comments.  I know it is likely for only allowing the 2 seat machines.

but idk if the smaller 2 seat ones will get hit as well.

java230
java230 UberDork
4/29/20 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Factory "cage" not adequate for rallyX?

MrChaos
4/29/20 8:27 a.m.
java230 said:

Rules arnt out yet but almost all of the 64" SXS' have short course racing certified cages available. Certain models will likely need an aftermarket cage.

Lof8 - Andy
4/29/20 10:14 a.m.
java230 said:

The factory cage on the yxz is pretty thin walled and collapses when rolled. All of the internet guys push a real cage as "mod #1"

Lof8 - Andy
4/29/20 10:20 a.m.
MrChaos said:

My only concern is the wheelbase comments.  I know it is likely for only allowing the 2 seat machines.

The YXZ is pretty much the most common "racing" SXS out there. It's what 75% of the short course racers use. I don't see the rallyx class being very successful if they exclude them somehow.  But if they do, FIRM allows them at their events, which are hugely more fun than the SCCA events anyway. 

MrChaos
4/29/20 1:51 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
MrChaos said:

The YXZ is pretty much the most common "racing" SXS out there. It's what 75% of the short course racers use. I don't see the rallyx class being very successful if they exclude them somehow.  But if they do, FIRM allows them at their events, which are hugely more fun than the SCCA events anyway. 

I mean I know its purely targeting the 4 seat rigs.  The RZR RS1's that I am looking at might be questionable but they are the sane dimensions wheelbase/track width wise as the rzr 1000's so I think they should be safe.

they will likely have to split the class between Turbo and non turbo like they are considering in AWD though. because 82hp and 1500lbs is differnet than 200hp and 1500lbs..

java230
java230 UberDork
4/29/20 3:30 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
java230 said:

The factory cage on the yxz is pretty thin walled and collapses when rolled. All of the internet guys push a real cage as "mod #1"

Sounds like a good upgrade then!

Lof8 - Andy
4/30/20 12:33 p.m.

she's off to Colorado :(

Lof8 - Andy
5/4/20 3:30 p.m.

cage kit gets here tomorrow. 

357 once again

Lof8 - Andy
5/5/20 6:15 p.m.

ive got the cage all in place. A+ to cagewrx for fitment. Can anyone with more welding experience than me let me know if it's a bad idea to take it off to finish welding it?  It's got about an inch of bead at each joint.  I'd hate to warp it all out of shape but I'm no gymnast. 

Lof8 - Andy
5/8/20 8:42 p.m.

Been working on her quite a bit.  Cage is all welded - that was more work than I anticipated. I ended up doing about 40% of the welds with it on the car.  The other 60% were just too difficult to get in position to do. My welds got a lot better and prettier when I could situate more comfortably off the car. 

got some Eibach sway bars. $35 blox brand Ebay civic links are the thrifty choice. Test fit the window nets that were custom made for the yxz/Baja cage combo. The last piece needed before I can paint the cage is some window net hardware. Should have that on Monday. Got a used 2:1 Hess steering quickener that bolts right in place.  Some zero offset wheels are showing up tomorrow and I'll see what it's like to mount some beadlocks. YouTube says it's no big deal without a tire machine, so that's a bonus. The beefy a/t tires have been waiting patiently.  

the stock rear end links are prone to failure as the oem bar can slide back and forth - as mine had. The Eibach bars have some rings welded on that hold them in position. 

Any issues with the cage warping?

Lof8 - Andy
5/9/20 7:29 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

None that I could detect. The holes still line up as they did before. 

Lof8 - Andy
5/10/20 10:48 a.m.

Wheels n tires!  Beadlocks are pretty cool. 

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/20 11:36 a.m.

That looks awesome! 

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/20 1:15 p.m.

My 15 year old son and I are hoping to come out for the rally-x event on 5/30 at the FIRM. We've never seen one and it would be great to meet you while there!

Lof8 - Andy
5/10/20 4:45 p.m.
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) said:

My 15 year old son and I are hoping to come out for the rally-x event on 5/30 at the FIRM. We've never seen one and it would be great to meet you while there!

Heck yeah!  I'm signed up to be there. I've still got a fair bit of work before the rig is ready, but I've got plenty of time. I just need a few key parts to show up in the mail. Lookin forward to meeting you!

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k8kr7h62qQIGkKy63JXsq6vYSYPkCwnKjCOmvvD8TxAPb0CikPwVaol4cbmWHd7I