1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 56
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/1/20 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Congrats!  So you feel like it works well, I take it?  Whenever I get thinking about a SxS the Yamaha is always at the top of the list thanks to the transmission.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/20 12:02 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Congrats!  So you feel like it works well, I take it?  Whenever I get thinking about a SxS the Yamaha is always at the top of the list thanks to the transmission.

It works so incredibly well.  The firm rallyx events are far different from SCCA events.  We were seeing speeds about 70-80 mph.  After watching some in-car video from the winning SXS, he was gaining a lot of time on me on the long straights where his 200hp let him just gap me.  In the tight sections of the course, the SXS really shines - totally responsive, incredible acceleration out of the hole, extremely nimble.  On the lower speed SCCA courses, I just don't see cars being capable of keeping up. (FL courses anyway).

The manual transmission is a blast to drive.  I feel it gives the car a lot more character than the CVT machines, more engaging to drive and sounds a lot cooler.  Only drawback is when you're banging the limiter mid corner and not in a good spot to take a hand off the wheel - but its not THAT bad :)

Lof8 - Andy
6/6/20 5:36 p.m.

Registered, plated and insured!  Woohoo!  I don't intend to drive it on the road much, but there are areas in Ocala forest and others, where I may need to drive on a road between trails.  Hopefully this can keep me from getting ticketed if I happen to cross paths with a cop while on the road.  Not sure how FL officers will react yet.  

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/20 9:55 p.m.

ive seen a TN tagged one around here, though in TN they are tagged like mopeds and limited to roads with a sub 45mph speed limit.

Lof8 - Andy
6/8/20 8:55 a.m.
MrChaos said:

ive seen a TN tagged one around here, though in TN they are tagged like mopeds and limited to roads with a sub 45mph speed limit.

When I went to Sedona, AZ a few months ago, side-by-sides were ALL OVER the roads!  They didn't seem to have anywhere they weren't allowed.  I even saw a couple on the highway!  Not sure if they may have been breaking the law though.

Lof8 - Andy
6/9/20 7:57 p.m.

I can't wait for the next firm rallyx.  It sure feels like there's more body roll than what these pictures show.  I'm impressed by how flat it looks.  

Lof8 - Andy
6/9/20 8:32 p.m.

I've had my oem roll cage listed on the marketplace since the first day I took it off. A kid messaged me over the weekend to buy it. He had just rolled his friends machine.  Here's a picture of the aftermath and an example of how E36 M3ty the oem "cages" are. 

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/20 8:42 p.m.

That's terrifying!

Lof8 - Andy
6/9/20 9:20 p.m.
trumant said:

That's terrifying!

I don't understand how the manufacturers think selling them like that is the right thing to do.  

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/20 9:44 p.m.

Only because they haven't had enough lawsuits about it yet

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/20 5:59 a.m.

In reply to trumant :

+1 on that.

java230
java230 UberDork
6/11/20 12:38 p.m.

Wow that looks bad.....

Lof8 - Andy
6/13/20 7:23 p.m.

New project!  I decided I needed a "toy hauler" to pull the side x side and be able to camp inside. I picked up a sweet 2019 enclosed cargo trailer locally and sold the old pop up within 24 hours. It's going to be a very simple basic build. A/C and a decent mattress are the main goals. Here's day 1 progress. The a/c unit is going to mount up high with storage on either side.  I do the framing and my wife does the cosmetics. Hoping to have it done by the Gambler 500 next weekend. 

MrChaos
6/13/20 8:01 p.m.

I might be looking at a truck to rallycross this week.

Lof8 - Andy
6/13/20 8:26 p.m.
MrChaos said:

Sweet!  What model?

MrChaos
6/13/20 9:53 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
MrChaos said:

Sweet!  What model?

01 s10 xtreme extended cab 4.3/autp

Lof8 - Andy
6/14/20 5:11 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Nice. Sounds like that could be fun!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
6/15/20 12:14 a.m.

Ive been wanting to build a toy hauler camper for several years myself.  With a little generator just big enough for a little window unit AC and some solar for lights and charging phones, fold up bench/couch thing down the side that doubles as a bed,  a cassette toilet for emergencies and a solar shower hung outside.  Put a folding shelf outside to work or cook on and a 270° awning like the "overlanders" use and Bob's your uncle 

Lof8 - Andy
6/16/20 7:12 p.m.

So far, so good!  Exhaust "duct" and condensate drain are working as intended. Need to box in the intake part of the unit still and brace it on top a bit as well. But all signs point to success. I separated the intake and exhaust vents on the trailer as much as possible. 

Lof8 - Andy
6/17/20 7:22 p.m.

got the a/c system 100% functional. Will need some work on the appearance later. And some "whips" mounted on the yxz. Gamblers getting close!

MrChaos
6/17/20 7:41 p.m.

went to try and buy 2 rallycross cars today and both were sold

Lof8 - Andy
6/17/20 8:47 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos : well that blows  

MrChaos
6/17/20 8:49 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

In reply to MrChaos : well that blows  

there is a normal non cop car crown vic locally but why bother on a non cvpi, when i can get a town car for similar money.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/17/20 9:42 p.m.

Are you planning on a generator, or will you always be somewhere with outlets when you want to sleep in the trailer?

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
6/17/20 9:44 p.m.

We'll be out at the Gambler in the Kia as well as a couple Lincolns and various other abominations.

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1xJRf8I1ipk6YmpFsEhaVwARHsHpFTeH6sd0GKJQ2opvcYyBqc7UeWeOVb50OZUQ