1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/20 10:00 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Are you planning on a generator, or will you always be somewhere with outlets when you want to sleep in the trailer?

I'll be using a 2000w inverter generator when power isn't available. I ordered one from Lowe's that's supposed to arrive on Friday. Cutting it a bit close since I plan to hit the road Friday afternoon. 

Lof8 - Andy
6/17/20 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

Lookin good!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/20 6:34 a.m.

one of the local rallycross guys does the tn gambler stuff in this 

Lof8 - Andy
6/22/20 7:35 a.m.

Gambler 500, Its a good time!  I couldn't have been happier with the camper rig and YXZ for the task at hand. 

The group of people that gather for the Gambler are a friendly and helpful bunch.  My buddy's volvo experienced a couple of issues over the weekend, and other Gamblers were quick to help with ATF and towing.  The scenery of the Ocala National Forest was beautiful and we had an amazing time!  My only disappointment was the lack of activity during the evenings at the camp site.  There is a Gambler 500 whiskey in production, yet the "powers-that-be" at the campsite were really policing things and keeping the activities quiet.

The YXZ, although it may not be completely in line with the spirit of the Gambler, was amazing for eating up trail miles and conquering whatever terrain we found.  There were a group of guys who picked out a course in the forest for what they called the "Outlaw 5000 hooptieX", which was not sanctioned by the Gambler at all.  It was pretty unorganized, and not many people showed up, but the course was pretty amazing.  It was about an 8 minute loop around a low-brush area of the forest.  However, there was no way to be sure nobody was coming the other way down the trail.  I did the loop one time, being very cautious in the "blind" areas and ripping hard where I could see.  The only issue all weekend with the YXZ was a sway bar end link that came loose and made some clunking noise - easy fix with a pair of crescent wenches.  I put about 100 trail miles and 20 road miles on the machine (no run-ins with the authorities to test the South Dakota plate).

The enclosed trailer/camper/toy hauler was the answer to the question, "how can I tow this SXS and camp comfortably, and do it on the cheap?"  It worked great.  The $130 5,000 btu window unit can't do much during the middle of the day, but when the sun goes down, it has more than enough juice to keep it cool.  I did not even need it on the coldest setting to get it to the temp I wanted.  I could probably tear out the walls, add insulation, and get it to perform better at high noon, but its not necessary for my purposes.  I picked up a 2000 W Predator generator/inverter to power the rig and it did so with no problem.  It powered the a/c, a light and 2 phone chargers.  The fuel tank holds plenty to run all night. 

All of the toys worked great and the event was awesome!  I'll be at the next one for sure!

Lof8 - Andy
6/22/20 7:41 a.m.

Lof8 - Andy
6/30/20 6:54 a.m.

The YXZ was missing the front skid plate when I bought it, so I replaced it with an aluminum version from a fab shop out of Australia. Took a while to get here, but it fits great.  Also added a fire extinguisher. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/30/20 11:14 a.m.
Greg Voth said:

We'll be out at the Gambler in the Kia as well as a couple Lincolns and various other abominations.

Greg, tell me more about this interesting Kia thing !

MrChaos
6/30/20 12:39 p.m.

its a kia sportage, decent small cheap sxs alternative 4x4. same vein as the isuzu amigo, suzuki sidekick, geo tracker, etc

Lof8 - Andy
6/30/20 2:19 p.m.

Since the recent spike in Corona cases, my office has gone back to working from home this week.  I'm so much more productive when "working from home".  Got this big shelf built in a day and a half while tending to emails from my cell phone!

Lof8 - Andy
7/1/20 1:40 p.m.

SXS are now legal!!

SCCA info

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/20 1:55 p.m.

Niiiiiice! Had a great conversation with one of the guys who really pushed this along a few months ago. Glad it passed. 

MrChaos
7/1/20 3:34 p.m.

10. Minimum width is 64 inches measured from the outer edge of the wheels. Minimum wheelbase is 83 inches measured from the center of the wheels.

11. Maximum ground clearance measured at the base of the frame rails at both the front and rear of the vehicle is equal to one half of the diameter of the tires fitted to the vehicle. It is strongly recommended that the vehicle be lowered to the greatest extent possible. 

Lof8 - Andy
7/1/20 3:41 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

Niiiiiice! Had a great conversation with one of the guys who really pushed this along a few months ago. Glad it passed. 

Me too!

Lof8 - Andy
7/1/20 3:42 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

I've got those covered!  Just working on the "metal rock guard windshield"

july 11 is the next SCCA rallyx 

MrChaos
7/1/20 3:43 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

In reply to MrChaos :

I've got those covered!  Just working on the "metal rock guard windshield"

chicken wire from the hardware store.

MrChaos
7/1/20 3:44 p.m.

Also while a sxs would be interesting for me. I might be considering something more classic, and British that would also be street legal and weigh less than most sxs's.

Lof8 - Andy
7/7/20 4:40 p.m.

SCCA legit!

MrChaos
7/7/20 5:21 p.m.

you going to run sxs tires or move to rally tires?

Lof8 - Andy
7/7/20 6:42 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

I use the vehicle for woods/trails probably more so than racing, so I bought these tires as a compromise between the two disciplines. I'll run these until new ones are due and then re-evaluate. Honestly, it performs pretty amazingly on these tires, I'm not sure there's much to be gained with rally tires. 

MrChaos
7/8/20 7:08 p.m.

someone posted this on our groups fb page 

Lof8 - Andy
7/8/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

A couple of my FL rally buddies are the organizers. One actually lives in Bradenton near me. I'll be there!  He's claiming the next event there will be wheel-to-wheel rallyx. I'm not sure the course can handle that, but I'll be there to check it out!

Lof8 - Andy
7/9/20 8:26 a.m.

My buddy Ryan Sauer is a real estate agent with Gearhead Homes and made a little video to promote his firm and document my garage. I had fun talking about the toys!

Garage Video

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
7/9/20 12:38 p.m.

That was a pretty slick off road Vette kart too!

The windshield mesh is probably worth running full time, no?

Lof8 - Andy
7/9/20 1:01 p.m.
Petrolburner said:

That was a pretty slick off road Vette kart too!

The windshield mesh is probably worth running full time, no?

There were a couple of Vette karts and they were both pretty rad!.  The guy in the Gulf livery car complained that his visibility was limited by the big air filter sticking out of the hood.  lol.  I do plan to keep the windshield mesh in place as long as its not too distracting.

Lof8 - Andy
7/11/20 1:02 p.m.

Yeehaw!  Not sure what the Dodge Caliber is doing up there only completing 4 runs, but I took the overall. Pretty slim margin though and cones made the difference. I'll call it a success. Lots of fun!

1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EQuakIO4Lobe7xLXBNHTxStS3FU7c9Flfd46mctxCU7J3NESwNYwhiaiK4w2vZ5g