ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
5/1/23 6:04 p.m.

This arrived about a week ago.

Now I just have to build it.

It will go back to the factory (special order) color; anthracite gray metallic, this color:

I'll be installing an all electric A/C system that will allow me to keep all of the plumbing and compressor in the front of the car for slightly better weight distribution, along with minimal soft lines to help reduce leakage over time.

I plan to install a lighter colored interior, likely something resembling the factory "cork" color, though maybe something lighter to deal with the FL heat... we'll see.

For the engine, I'm planning on a swap I haven't seen anywhere else on a 911 (not saying it hasn't been done, but I couldn't find one) by going with a Turbo ecotec engine. The factory LNF engine runs 260HP and 260 ft/lbs torque on the factory base tune, and with timing chain guides seems to last forever. The dressed engine weighs a bit less than the 3.0 flat six that the car shipped with, and has 80 HP and 80 Ft/lbs over the stock engine as well. With the water cooling stuff the weights are about a wash, but some of the weight will be moving forward in the car to help with balance.

Lots of other little things to be determined as I build it, but I think that's a good start.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
5/2/23 12:46 p.m.

That's a swap I haven't heard of before. Is this an original turbo car or the flares and spoiler added?

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/2/23 1:54 p.m.

In reply to ToManyProjects :

I am working on an LNF swap into a 90's Mercedes, if you need any measurements or anything let me know. 

What transmission are you planning to use? 

ToManyProjects
5/2/23 5:05 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

That's a swap I haven't heard of before. Is this an original turbo car or the flares and spoiler added?

I haven't found any reference to the swap either, but I think it should work well. That engine moves heavier cars pretty well. The flares and spoiler were added using factory steel sometime in the 90's. It was converted from Targa to Cab at the same time apparently. The work is pretty well done. Though I can't say much for the paint job.

ToManyProjects
5/2/23 5:18 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ToManyProjects :

I am working on an LNF swap into a 90's Mercedes, if you need any measurements or anything let me know. 

What transmission are you planning to use? 

Thanks! I might very well take you up on that. I'm hoping to have an LNF on hand soon, but Probably not as soon as I'd like.

The car came with the Porsche 915 transmission that's passed a bench test, so I'm planning to use that one until/unless it frags. I'm keeping the stock tune for a while in deference to the transmission.

ToManyProjects
5/3/23 5:54 p.m.

Some backstory:

I DD'd Miatae for about 10 years, starting with a '91 and ending up with a supercharged '97. Then my kids started school and suddenly the Miata fell into occasional weekend car status. I should have started looking for a more fun daily before that, but I lived in denial, and as a result ended up driving some boring appliance cars for the last few years while determining what path forward I wanted to take.

After looking hard at a number of cars that probably checked most or all of the boxes that I needed to check, I decided that going in a completely different direction was more my style.

I'd wanted a 911 since I was a kid, and as long as a few updates were put in place, the 911 should work as a kid hauler until they're about old enough to start driving themselves.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
5/15/23 5:44 p.m.

I've gotten very little done in the last few weeks, trying to finish some stuff up for the wife before diving in too deeply.

I've managed to order some of the random missing parts, and I'm sure I'll be ordering more, but so many of these parts are crazy expensive for what they are.

I did manage to get some used front hood latches for about $25 instead of the $450 new parts would have cost buying from one of the big dealers. If I can get deals like that for the rest of the missing parts, I'll actually be able to afford the parts for this thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8xLeeLwb88x361a19BSrCzwmwaW01mvt6XkcHIx1bhxXxOYDhs17lKg5zxNn2plZ