loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/17/22 7:03 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

-15 Celsius or 5 Fahreheit

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/17/22 7:16 p.m.

How long can you be out there ?    Are you wearing full snowmobile garb?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/18/22 10:03 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I was out there for an hour blowing snow but if you're prepared for it, you can spend days in these temps. I am not wearing full garb, didn't even have a toque(knitted cap), insulated gloves or ski pants. Today I got the fiberglass rear bumper, spoiler, splitter and carbon fibre door bar protection on.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/18/22 11:34 p.m.

-15°C out here today as well, and I too was blowing snow.  Likely higher humidity here compared to where you are, but I must be getting old - I sure can't take the cold any more.

0° at the coast feels like -10° here, and probably like -20° where you are.  The humidity makes even slight cold more piercing.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/25/22 8:33 p.m.

I finally installed the stainless steel road race fuel tank and billet filler cap. I also plumbed the front brakes but didn't get a picture of that

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/8/23 2:03 p.m.

I have made a big effort to widen the car front and rear so I can run 335mm tires all the way around. Yes, I know that the current hot tire only goes up to 315mm but I want the wiggle room in case something better comes along some day. Plus, a Coke bottle shape on a first gen Camaro looks amazing. I got one of those tire fitment devices and borrowed a 335mm tire to test fit. I quickly realized that the fender lip needed rolling and my initial settings for Panhard bar and control arms were wrong. The diff was not centred left-right or fore-aft so all that had to be adjusted. Surprisingly, 335mm fit both in front and rear although turning circle is limited. Now I know what backspace to run and that 315mm should be no problem. Click here for video 

JMcD
JMcD New Reader
1/8/23 8:04 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Nice video.  I can relate in a number of ways. Even though you mentioned it being a bit fiddly, the tool for wheel fitment using the actual tire and being able to adjust offset easily and accommodate different size tires is slick. Beats trying to mount 10 year old freebie hoosiers in different sizes when it's cold in the garage.

Agreed on the 315/30/18 A052 being the ticket at the moment but provisioning for a little wider and taller does make sense. The size you used for fitment (335/25/20 - 26.6" dia) is a good bit taller than even a 335/30/18 (25.9") and even more so with a 315/30/18 (25.6"). With the A052 having a relatively soft sidewall, I think you want at least an 11.5" wheel. Steering response is good but not even close to twitchy with the 315 on a 12" wheel (I was running the 305/30/19 RE-71R on a 19x12 previously).

+1 to running the same wheel on all 4 corners. I designed things around the C6 Z06 rear wheel for my car since that's a commonly available wheel. Had to design things with a spacer in the front to have a reasonable (not super negative) scrub radius w/ C6 front suspension components. 

I'm a little surprised you aren't trying to run a lower ride height - definitely a compromise but pretty much only goodness from being able to run lower (with appropriate travel). Similar issues on my car with a Ford 8.8 and a pinion flange that is really close to the tunnel under bump/roll (FWIW, in my case I actually first heard contact while driving under roll, not when hitting a bump so you may want to try that as well).

I'm using a S197 rack, so spacers that snap onto the rack are available to limit travel and are relatively easy to remove. Mine doesn't see much street driving, but enough steer for auto-x courses (even on tight lots) is definitely less than what you want for general driving/parking.

What's your plan for rain wheels/tires? Narrower/different offsets?

Obligatory CAM-T chonky tire pic for extra motivation:

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/9/23 10:01 a.m.

In reply to JMcD :

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I had no idea that the diff would be anywhere near the floor of the car. I read a lot of articles and watched a lot of build videos and nobody ever modified the rear floor area for more diff room. My whole interior is now painted and floor is bedlined so I'm reluctant to cut into it but it's better to do it now than after the car is full of interior. What if I cut out the offending metal and built a carbon fiber inspection panel that bolted in its place? I will be running an 11.5" wheel so I can run the same wheels front and rear. I think we would like to get a second set of wheels and tires to drive on the street and act as our rain tires but I have done zero research on which tire that might be, got suggestions?  What is the backspacing on the C6 Z06 rear wheel?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 10:35 a.m.

OMG you guys are killing me with 335's. here i was feeling pretty good about 275's under the back of the Corvair. I guess i'll go home now.

JMcD
JMcD New Reader
1/9/23 12:17 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

C6 Z06 are 19x12 +59mm offset. The MRR M755 wheels (C7 ZR1 reps) I'm running now are 18x12 +50mm.

I've got some old Conti ECS on C5 wagon wheels. They have an ECS02 out now that's a little better wet and dry. Michelin PS4S is popular as a rain tire. Full tread RE-71RS would also be a decent choice if warm and wet.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/11/23 6:46 p.m.

I have been looking around for junk wheels/tires to put on the car for moving around and couldn't find anything that would fit that was also cheap. My brother suggested Guniwheels and that's what I got

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/17/23 10:32 a.m.

I have an engine for the car and it's a real ripper! It's an LS7 out of a C6 Z06 and has a Katech Stage 2 kit in it. The kit includes heads/cam/intake/throttle body and upgraded parts like ARP head studs, etc. it makes 675 hp at the crank. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/17/23 11:07 a.m.

That should be very entertaining 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/17/23 6:56 p.m.

How many miles/hours?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/17/23 7:07 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

The car it came out of has 57,000 miles but the engine was rebuilt by Katech at some point after that and they can't tell me when (I asked)

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/17/23 7:10 p.m.

You've witnessed it running?

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
1/17/23 11:40 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

OMG you guys are killing me with 335's. here i was feeling pretty good about 275's under the back of the Corvair. I guess i'll go home now.

LOL same thought here.  I have 275's hung on 8.5" 18's which seems to be the realistic wheel width limit on the first gen V.  Yeah they don't hook.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/19/23 8:00 p.m.
759NRNG said:

You've witnessed it running?

Yes, click Here for video of it running

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/19/23 8:03 p.m.
84FSP said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

LOL same thought here.  I have 275's hung on 8.5" 18's which seems to be the realistic wheel width limit on the first gen V.  Yeah they don't hook.

Yeh, of course when I posted the video on the First Gen Camaro Pro Touring Facebook page, all the guys with 69's were posting pics of their cars with 345's, just to upstage me. It's very difficult to fit big tires on 67-68 Camaros, going further inboard requires a new frame and going outward would require quarter panel flares so big that they might not look right anymore.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/19/23 9:38 p.m.

You do understand that with the hp your looking at you'll still be looking out the passenger window when you shower down on the loud pedal regardless....just don't draw any attention (PO=PO) eh. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/19/23 10:04 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

We're not worried, the Pink Panther carried only 3.77 lbs per horsepower and the Camaro is going to be around 5.58 lbs per horsepower so it will feel pretty tame in comparison.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/22/23 2:53 p.m.

I bled the brakes and got those working and also fit the stainless Dynatech headers to the fake LS engine. They fit just fine after I dropped the rear of the transmission a little. I'm not thrilled about this but I suspect that the dry sump of the LS7 will allow me to drop the engine a bit and restore the engine/transmission angle that I want 

JMcD
JMcD New Reader
1/23/23 8:07 a.m.

Manual brakes? I'm using a C6 master/booster setup (DSE bracket). Really like it. Good feel without having to use too much effort. Bias valve in the rear line to be able to adjust balance. I'm only running 12.7" front rotors, but 3000+ lbs is a lot to whoa without assist.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/23/23 8:00 p.m.

In reply to JMcD :

I'm following in the footsteps of others who have done it with the same setup. I don't anticipate stopping problems if I got my master cylinder sizes right. If it takes too much effort, I will try one size smaller master cylinders. My bias is controlled by an adjustment on the pedals and can be done remotely.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8AAMgOVNrGO1Euq5fwkJkVW3m4yXdWiPlzj9zJmwXPaGkyJhlNEFCqyaGXBBzPIg