1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/21/21 7:47 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

No it wont. Little known fact is that the cost of sandblasting includes some Fils de pute to come around periodically and refill the car's cavities with more blast media.  At least that is my theory.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/21/21 8:05 a.m.

Please do not take this the wrong way because there is nothing wrong with your floor repair. I only mention it because you mention the desire to up your game and because I like to make tin repairs undetectable when I can. Even when nobody will ever see the results. 

There is not much you could do to hide the inboard or outboard weld seams in the repair other than metal finish as you did. But the front and rear could have been hidden under the flanges where the floor was originally attached.  Going that way would have also helped fill in the bit at the rear outboard part of the repair. The same "hide the weld seam behind a flange" method can come in handy during other panel repairs, so is good to have in the toolbox.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/21/21 8:58 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yes, I should have extended the front an inch to make it more seamless. I'm practicing on all the least visible stuff so I can do a better job on the visible. Taking full advantage of the rotisserie, I spent 2 hours seam welding the underside and that should make a significant difference in stiffness

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/21/21 10:03 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

If seam welding the tub, then disregard the above. The beads will all blend in and look in-place.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/25/21 9:07 p.m.

I spent 3 hours shaving the drip rail from the drivers side. The technique is to cut 2 inches from one end and spot weld it then cut 2 inches from the other side and spot weld that. Move back and forth to keep too much heat in one spot. The whole thing is warp-free

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/27/21 8:52 p.m.

A bunch of parts arrived today, including the mini tubs, trunk pan and rear frame rails. I am quite intimidated by the thought of cutting out all the old stuff. Yes, I know that I must brace it all first. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
10/28/21 12:16 a.m.

Those kits go in quite easy. I've done a few of the DSE kits as well as the other similar styles on the market.  Just make sure to square everything up, check and double check your measurements. Once you have it all located put some heavy tacks in and check it again.  Biggest thing I've fixed on stuff for other folks has been that. They'll get stuff in place tack it in, it'll shift in process and they never catch it as they just assume it's all good and burn it in. 

Last one I did was a 69 Camaro with a full DSE kit. Didn't even have the pleasure of doing that one on a rotisserie, as we had a '59 Cadilliac series 62 on it at the time.  Stuff nowadays is leaps and bounds above what it used to be. Just take your time and I'm sure you won't have any issues. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/31/21 7:53 p.m.

Took far too many hours but I got the rusty  frame rails and trunk floor cut out. The new floor is just being test fit, I have to modify it for the Detroit Speed mini tub kit. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/1/21 8:37 p.m.

Took 4 hours to weld trunk floor and left side frame rail in. I'm happy with how it all lined up 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/2/21 11:29 a.m.

Have you considered welding in the extra braces used in convertibles as long as you've got it all opened up anyway?

golfduke
golfduke Dork
11/2/21 11:40 a.m.

nice progress thus far! 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/2/21 8:19 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Have you considered welding in the extra braces used in convertibles as long as you've got it all opened up anyway?

Yes, I saw them for sale and thought it might be a good addition. I haven't pulled the trigger because I did't know how it affects or interferes with other things like the aftermarket suspension or interior I am going to use. But I just got an assembly manual and see that it goes under the tunnel and should work with everything I'm doing

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/6/21 7:47 a.m.

This is a picture of the drivers side wheel well and the red line is where the original wheel well ran. I cut 2.75 inches out of it for the Detroit Speed mini tubs to fit. This means I can fit 315 mm tires but I have bigger plans and hope to flare the fender so I can stuff 335 mm tires under there 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/6/21 10:07 a.m.
loosecannon said:
NOT A TA said:

Yes, I saw them for sale and thought it might be a good addition. I haven't pulled the trigger because I did't know how it affects or interferes with other things like the aftermarket suspension or interior I am going to use. But I just got an assembly manual and see that it goes under the tunnel and should work with everything I'm doing

There's the tunnel bolt in brace many are familiar with which may require some modification depending on what transmission you use and tunnel weld in but there are also others that weld in places to stiffen up the chassis. An obvious example is the large flat panel that fits between the wheel wells in the trunk and is welded to the rear seat back, trunk pan, and wheel tubs. It creates a triangle between the wheel wells.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/4084bbc8-1e50-4486-872e-fbce3ed87549/p/664b6ccc-ead4-4fc3-8e36-5854ccfbe900][/URL]

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/7/21 5:07 p.m.

The car came with a low quality but new passenger side quarter panel, I used it as a proof of concept on how to widen the car. You can see in this pic how I did it. It's an inch wider in the middle and tapers to the original fender front and back. It's going to work so now I need to get some new quarters and do it permanently 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/14/21 4:12 p.m.

I installed the drivers side mini tub today and should be able to fit the 335/30-18 tire that I'm planning on running 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/21 5:18 p.m.

Very cool!

How was the installation?  Were there nice clear directions? Templates?  Or did you have to sort of figure it out?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/14/21 5:26 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Very cool!

How was the installation?  Were there nice clear directions? Templates?  Or did you have to sort of figure it out?

Took about 8 hours for just the one side. It comes with templates which were helpful but the directions were poor and I learned more watching YouTube videos of the process. They do fit nice, though

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
11/14/21 6:11 p.m.

looks like it was meant to be.....well done

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/26/21 10:47 p.m.

I started a new job as a maintenance guy for a commercial bakery (We make crisps for Trader Joe's, Costco, Wegmans) and haven't done any work on the Camaro. But that changed today. I welded the passenger side frame rail in and spent some time treating hidden areas with POR15. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 7:24 a.m.

Don't get it on your hootus!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/27/21 8:28 a.m.
loosecannon said:

I started a new job as a maintenance guy for a commercial bakery (We make crisps for Trader Joe's, Costco, Wegmans) and haven't done any work on the Camaro.

Wait. What? Is kart track ownership in your rear view mirror?

Following with interest regardless. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
11/27/21 12:31 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
loosecannon said:

I started a new job as a maintenance guy for a commercial bakery (We make crisps for Trader Joe's, Costco, Wegmans) and haven't done any work on the Camaro.

Same thought just popped up in my head as well 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/27/21 6:34 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
loosecannon said:

When the damn COVID hit in 2020, Speedworld was shut down because it was considered non-essential. I got a job restoring old cars and have been doing that for a while but 3 weeks ago I was approached by a large bakery and they made an offer I can't refuse. I actually work in same building as Speedworld but my wife runs the whole show now. Speedworld is open again but because we are required to get proof of vaccinations, business is way off so there's not enough income to pay my bills, so I have to work elsewhere. 

i worked on the Camaro for 6 hours today. I got the passenger side frame rail modified to fit the mini tub, the doors fitted and have started to fit the wider rear quarter panels 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/28/21 5:04 p.m.

Finished up the mini tubs today. These are good for 315mm tires but I will be widening the fenders so I can stuff 335mm tires under it

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kwKCMmjZVV5P90lZelm088t0MHdKcmFgIjlxJ6oyQuG1Bg2NPnTS5roU94AwGblj