4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 8:14 a.m.

So, the Mrs and I are wanting to build a house in a year or so. We already own the land, and have been dutifully putting our duckets away for the build. We dont want to risk owning 2 houses at once though, so we decided to sell our current house, and live in a rental for a year to save a little extra cash and forgo the risk of a double mortgage situation.

SWMBO grandfather passed a few years back, and my FIL became the owner after the estate was figured out. His sister was living in the house for many years, rent free, on disability, along with grandpa, and continued to stay there after his passing.

she did not take care of the house...in any way

So, a plan begun to take shape. My FIL has too big of a place now: 5 acres, with a pond, a pool, a big ass pole barn full of toys (boat and camper etc). But its too much for him. Too much upkeep, too much stuff that never gets used...hes ready to downsize. But that will take some time. My wife and I are ready to move now.

So, the plan is to renovate the entire house, and we will stay there at a ridiculously low rent in exchange for doing a lot of the work to renovate. Then, when our new house is built, the FIL will downsize from his current home to this one.

We so far have turned a living room that was once a garage, back into a garage, this entailed removing a false floor over the concrete, removing a bay window, and reinstalling a garage door. All the bedrooms of the house were full of crap (a la Hoarders), so those were all cleared and painted, carpeting removed and new doors installed. New carpeting will go into the living room, hall, and all 3 bedrooms. The kitchen is getting new appliances and a new countertop, as well as a paint job.There was the definite scent of animal waste, and some sketchy at best construction solutions during the original build (the home was built by grandpa some 65 years ago), so a full blown bleaching, and electrical rework is underway (converted from fuses to breakers, upgraded service from the street etc). At some point, GFCI/3 prong outlets will go in, but that means ground wires will have to find their way to all the outlets, so thats gonna be fun...

But, alas, this thread is about ...[scary movie voice] THE BATHROOOOOM [/ scary movie voice]. There has been a lot of help from the family with the rest of the house (much love to the family), but the Bathroom has been primarily my project (much hate to the bathroom).

An 8'x8' bathroom - typical size for this era of ranch in the area. It had gross tile, a small vanity, and easily the lowest soffit Ive ever seen over the tub/shower - so low, I, at 6' even, could not stand upright in it, and the water from the shower head would catch me right in the hootus. This situation needs to be corrected asap. There has been a lot of help from the family with the rest of the house, but the Bathroom is primarily my project. I cannot take all the credit, Ive had some help with it from my FIL when 2 people are needed (heavy lifting or holding things at the right angle etc), but essentially, this is my baby.

The plan is to remove the soffit, replace the tub with a stand up shower kit, replace the plaster with drywall, new tile, new vanity. Medium difficulty remodel, but probably a 3 or 4 weekend affair.

(sorry for the crappy pics, its the only angle possible given the size and proportions.)

So i got to work removing the vanity and glass door, and such...

edit woops, hit submit by accident...more on the way

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 8:18 a.m.

then, out came the tub and shower kit

whats that in the studs? Ruh roh...termites

I didnt want to have to do much more than install a shower and put up drywall, Tile, then paint and done...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 8:25 a.m.

damnit...accidental submit button...again

its getting worse, termites are found to have taken up many studs in the exterior wall, including top and bottom plates, the header over the window has been compromised, and 4 floor joists have been eaten and have/are failing

this is waaaay more work than I wanted to get into...

Soooo...scab in 2 brand new joists, and correct the others by sandwiching them between new joists and securing with 3/4" carriage bolts and liquid nails. This included many fun moments with a 6x6 wood beam and a 6 ton mega bottle jack, lifting the entirety of the front of the house from underneath in the basement to allow us to slide new/sister joists in between the existing subfloors in the rest of the house and the main beam. Hella cool actually, but a lot of work

And BAM!! new subfloor! Add a temporary post to hold up the ceiling while we replace the wall studs and window header

fixt! This was a happy moment...the time when bad things stop coming out, and basically, only new things go back in from now on...Definitely helps give you a second wind during a long remodel like this, especially when you find yourself down this deep of a rabbit hole

more coming...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/14/13 8:30 a.m.

I am gutting and redoing a basement bathroom and it is sucking more time and money than I ever thought possible, and it is a fraction of what you are tackling. I am sending many positives vibes of encouragement your way!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 8:35 a.m.

Add in exterior insulation (missing from the rest of the house actually) and a vapor barrier

Drywall, and shower only kit

underlayment

Tile

Grout

And thats as far as I am to date. This has been about 6 weeks of work to this point, and Im not quite done yet...I need to be finished by the 19, our move in date . But, I basically have to finish sanding the drywall mud, trim and baseboards, paint, and thats it for this bathroom.

More to come as I get through it. Bathrooms can be build threads...right? RIGHT!?!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/14/13 8:40 a.m.

Nice work!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 8:45 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I am gutting and redoing a basement bathroom and it is sucking more time and money than I ever thought possible, and it is a fraction of what you are tackling. I am sending many positives vibes of encouragement your way!

Thanks man - this is the third bathroom Ive done this level of work to. One in our current home (luckily no rot to deal with tho), this rental one, and once in a house my FIL flipped a few years back. Im not fast, but Im pretty good(ish). Id never make any money doing it as a career, but I save some bucks sweating it out myself.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 8:49 a.m.
RossD wrote: Nice work!

Thanks!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/14/13 9:11 a.m.

I hate building bathrooms with a passion. Give me a kitchen or windows or even a roof.

Looks good though and you know it was done right. Plus its not on slab which saves your sanity.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/15/13 11:42 a.m.

ugh...just when I thought I was done, the Father in law said he wanted to add some tile in the living room by the front door to give it a Foyer where wet shoes and coats can be removed without hurting the carpet...Just when I thought I was done with tile...

Oh well, he decided he wanted a 60" tv in the living room over the fire place. Hes going to the store this weekend to pick it up . Since we are building built ins next to the chimney where flat walls once were, he wants to bolt the bracket directly to the now-defunct chimney before drywall goes back up...score for me!!!

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
8/15/13 6:46 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: ugh...just when I thought I was done, the Father in law said he wanted to add some tile in the living room by the front door to...

Tell him to go right ahead...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/15/13 6:56 p.m.

lol yeah...be my guest

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/20/13 8:10 a.m.

small update...

Hours that weve been moved into the new house: 24
Hours the new house has a working toilet and shower: 9

hours Ive slept in the past 2 days: 7.5

FML

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/20/13 1:46 p.m.

RE FML: Yes, but think about not falling through the rotten floor joist when you sit on your throne.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/20/13 2:01 p.m.

drywall...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/20/13 2:01 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

well, yeah, there is that. gravity is a bitch

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/20/13 2:18 p.m.

I will mirror your Berk of the drywall, though. Find a buddy that does it and pay them in beer and pizza. And cash.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/20/13 2:31 p.m.

I approached 2 construction buddies of mine that do drywall, and asked them if they were interested in some side work. When they found out that it was A). a bathroom using greenboard, 2). Tiny, and D). had walls rebuilt due to age/insect/water damage (meaning: studs are not plumb or square), they laughed and politely declined.

Im chalking it up to: "This house originally had hand applied plaster walls, which produces a wall with a lot of character. My bumpy and uneven drywall texture is an attempt to match the houses 'period correct' aesthetic"

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/21/13 5:54 a.m.

Sounds like a great learning opportunity.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CsXiQ2VVn1rjzE1vtDOTYh9ekRJLnJzLVcg4sALsfXlzYo5e1HP6rgrNG1cytskx