1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 52
Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/8/19 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

no rules against extra lighting, typically there are some pretty organic creations that most would call not aesthetically pleasing. 

Go_Gators
8/12/19 2:44 p.m.

courtesy of @lowshuttermedia

Go_Gators
8/12/19 3:09 p.m.

Jax Solo E8 was saturday. it was our annual day + night split event where your best day run is added to your best night run. The event (as it historically has) offered a mix of dry daylight runs, wet runs and darkness runs. 

I made a couple large changes that i will post more on later, but necessarily, i was taking it fairly easy on the hardware. Drove my dry runs at ~80% and my wet and wet + dark runs at even less. In the video you see no countersteering and hear no tire screams... 

So my best run was my second run at 35.6 sec. That was good enough for the second quickest clean run all day!! Only 0.7sec off FTD. Normally, i am 2-3 sec off the winning pace and end up around 12th position raw time overall. So, needless to say i believe the changes were hugely beneficial! Over the summer i bought a front set of OE Z06 speedlines (17x8.5) and put skinny little 275 toyo  R888rs up front. That arrangement is nearly 10lbs lighter per side. Additionally (and this is the biggie) myself and my buddy who welded the cage came up with a VERY CHEAP method of getting more rear camber. The OE chassis adjustments were only good for 0.8deg. Our mod got the rear to ~3deg neg. Separate post on the mod to follow, but essentially, we weld-filled the rear upper control arm's ball joint tapered hole and redrilled the hole 9/16" inboard. 

The rear grip, which is normally nonexistant, was shockingly good. With more experience on this setup i think the kart will be darn competitive at the local level for FTD. 

youtube video link

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/19 6:26 p.m.

Looked good, I'll have to look again on my laptop, instead of my phone.

I'm so sorry to miss this event. I really wanted to see this car, and the event looked fun. 

Unfortunately, the oil pan drain plug repair in my truck decided to let go. I had to cancel.

Go_Gators
8/14/19 5:53 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I'm so sorry to miss this event. I really wanted to see this car, and the event looked fun. 

Unfortunately, the oil pan drain plug repair in my truck decided to let go. I had to cancel.

thanks! Yea, the night event is unique and was good. but the weather def took some of hte fun out of it. 

you ought to come run with us at the FIRM on Oct 27....

Go_Gators
8/16/19 1:43 p.m.

i finally got around to posting a thread about the method i came up with for increasing rear negative camber on the cheap. Its in the GRM forum, link

Go_Gators
10/7/19 3:29 p.m.

We had an event sunday, #10 for 2019. Ran pretty good on a very tight course. Got progressively quicker to a point, then had a couple DNF's pushing it beyond my skill level. 

Had a couple clean 42.0sec runs, which was good for 3rd on the raw time overall list. FTD was set at 40.8 by a nissan GTR, partially pictured behind me! 

Had technical difficulties with the track addict app turning on the gopro, so no video... also finding more and more gear oil coming from the drivers rear diff to output axle seal. apparently a very common failure in the C5/C6 world. Replacing it appears easy even on a bodied vette, this will kind-of be my first real repair for cause event on the kart. not too shabby! 

Go_Gators
10/14/19 3:16 p.m.

Ran Event 9 (make up) yesterday. we did 4 morning runs and 4 afternoon runs. for some reason i was way too cautious in the morning and in the afternoon when i started pushing it, the kart took it really well, feeling very balanced. 

comparing speeds through elements, was consistently 4 to 5 mph faster in the afternoon. 

Was about 3 seconds off the fastest time in teh morning and 2 seconds behind the winning GTR in the afternoon. just need more seat time!

youtube link to morning and afternoon run

Next event is on the roadcourse at FIRM on the 27th, same weekend as GRM challenge... going to try to sneak down for the challenge in the kart that friday if the stars align. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/14/19 3:39 p.m.

Thanks for letting me ride it the cart Sunday.  Its definitely way faster than the challenge car!

I spent some time looking over the kart and it was very well laid out.

Floating Doc
10/24/19 9:54 p.m.
Go_Gators said:
Floating Doc said:

thanks! Yea, the night event is unique and was good. but the weather def took some of hte fun out of it. 

I went back through my old posts to find this thread. 

See you Sunday!

Go_Gators
10/28/19 3:13 p.m.
Floating Doc said:
Go_Gators said:
Floating Doc said:

See you Sunday!

Was great to meet you! Hope you enjoyed our Jax Solo Event..... Pretty sure you enjoyed your ride along!! Of the four runs, i only put wheels off the tarmac on yours! thats doing good for me! 

Go_Gators
10/28/19 3:15 p.m.

low shutter media and full send media, respectively, got nice shots of the kart stretching its legs.

in the full send pic, the rear tire, now at ~3deg static neg camber, appears pretty darn vertical... whereas before the upper control arm mod, pics like this one, show the rear outside tire in positive camber situations..

Go_Gators
10/28/19 3:23 p.m.

Comparing the delta between my best run time at FIRM last fall with a consistent CM driver's best time, he hung 4 seconds on me last year. 2 seconds this year. Gonna call that progress. 

Floating Doc
10/28/19 4:03 p.m.
Go_Gators said:
Floating Doc said:
Go_Gators said:
Floating Doc said:

See you Sunday!

Was great to meet you! Hope you enjoyed our Jax Solo Event..... Pretty sure you enjoyed your ride along!! Of the four runs, i only put wheels off the tarmac on yours! thats doing good for me! 

Best ride along I've ever had! If you could see my face, you'd see the big grin! 

I'll be back at the Firm again next Sunday with Martin sports car club.

Go_Gators
10/29/19 12:58 p.m.

youtube video link to Runs 3 & 4

Sunday was event 11 for jax solo, held on the road course at FIRM, near Starke. A mere 100 mile round trip for me, the fourth trip to FIRM for the kart.

With a less than ideal weather forecast, we elected to do four runs. I managed to get better with each run and I was generally happy with my driving. The cars handling felt great, pushed/understeered a bit on a few of the sweeping mid-speed corners, otherwise felt very neutral. Only put two tires off the tarmac all day and really the kart felt very planted, which really just means I didn’t push it hard enough!!

I have noticed recently driving on the street and coming off the line at the event that at about 5500 rpm the engine hesitates or sputter and doesn’t continue making more power. However, later in the course, back in second gear, going over the hill in the bus stop section of the course it pulled hard to 6000rpm. When I felt and heard the hesitation coming off the line I went ahead and put it in third, which I would have needed anyway, was just a bit of a short shift. I have no idea what could be causing the issue, I hope its just a tank of bad gas. Since I burned more than ½ tank in the four laps and 100 mile trip… will fill her up and see if goes away, otherwise, going to have to some yet to be determined troubleshooting…

Two more events with our club for 2019.

Going forward, I have bought most of what I need to move the battery to behind the cockpit and getting closer on a plan to move the radiator to the rear. Still working the details on how to plumb the system, primarily on the pump suction side. The short of the problem is that no-one makes a hose that meets the temp and suction requirements and there aren’t any great ways to route hard piping around the rear tire.

Go_Gators
11/15/19 11:35 a.m.

well... the kart left me stranded. on the way to work, i took it toward 5000 rpm in first and it started to stumble and made some racket. contineud that when i put it in second at ~4500. turned around to head back home, but the kart started to run fine at normal cruising speed. so, i turned back around and headed to work.  Leaving work, it ran poorly from the turn of the key. on the expressway it kept stumbling. it stalled at the exit and after a WOT start it got me to a side street. 

Go_Gators
11/15/19 11:40 a.m.

So... once home... i ordered and changed the crank sensor... no luck.. then the cam sensor... no luck.... 

i noticed a more distinct metallic noise while it was idling in the garage after the cam pos sensor replacement... grabbed the thermal temp gun and noticed that #2 cylinder header was about 100 deg cooler than the others. BINGO.

got around to pulling the valve cover. carnage. 

i have driven atleast 200 miles from the initial symptoms. figuring it broke once. then i drove and drove.... and autocrosed at FIRM... then drove.. then more breaks occurred and finally the main spring wasnt closing and the valve was bouncing on the piston. bending the valve and causing a loss of seal, hence fouling other cylinders.

Go_Gators
11/15/19 11:44 a.m.

a couple days later i got around to pulling the cylinder head. gonna need a new valve. set of more better springs.. probably a set of full roller rockers to replace the OEM stuff.. 

Go_Gators
11/16/19 8:23 p.m.

Due to the above... i ran event 12 in my ole trusty slicktop ZHP.... and even on less than ideal, old, mis-matched street tires, it was fantastic. 

Placed 12th overall Pax and 14th raw of 45 entrants. inclement weather (~50 degs, then it drizzled) surely helped my tire disadvantage.. 

video link to non-LS1-KART autox runs!

As for the KART... still planning.. considering going rear radiator while i am waiting on engine stuff.. 

Go_Gators
12/5/19 7:18 a.m.

catching up... i took the engine down the short block. pulled the cam.... turns out its a vengenace racing VRX5, 601/605 lift. not in the greatest of condition... 

added a new cam (same model) and full set of LS7 lifters to the purchase...

Go_Gators
12/5/19 7:21 a.m.

total, the refresh will cost about $1500, inlcuding hte new cam and a ATI super damper. 

got the heads cleaned up and reassembled after thanksgiving. got them back on teh kart this week. 

torqued and intake on. 

going to put the damper on today. then take a strategic pause.... 

Go_Gators
12/5/19 7:30 a.m.

while the kart is down hard, going to attack a trifecta of inter-related jobs. 

always wanted to put the weight of the radiator on the rear of the car. to do that, the exhaust run over the axle must be lower. and, oh by the way, the exhaust necks down to 2.5 over the axle, so going re run it using 3". and lastly, ideally the battery would move aft as well, obviously, for the weight, but also to free up a 'high' spot up front to mount a supplemental radiator (dirt bike variety) instead of a expansion tank. so that will go behind hte passenger front tire, where the battery box is currently. battery will be relocated to directly behind the main roll bar hoop. 

the primary challenge with the radiator move is plumbing. hte only sensible option is through the frame rails. i struggled to find rugged flexible hose that will handle the temps and moderate suction on the on the suction side of  the pump. i came across a 1.25" ID silicone hose on summit for ~$7/ft. bought some and rigged it up to my mitivac. it collapsed fairly easily... 

but... the OD of the hose is essentially 1.5", fitting snuggly inside 1.5" PVC... the PVC restrains the hose, not allowing it to bulge and therefore, keeping it from collapsing. so, the plan for the suction hose will be to cut many ~2" long PVC sleeves and space them about 1" apart to allow for the subtle bends of the frame rails.

aint going to lie, i impressed myself a bit with this solution. simple, cheap, should be effective!

Go_Gators
12/5/19 7:32 a.m.

next week the plan is to attack the exhaust over the axle run and create some accesses in the frame for the coolant plumbing. then continue with the motor restoration.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/5/19 11:03 a.m.
Go_Gators said:

a couple days later i got around to pulling the cylinder head. gonna need a new valve. set of more better springs.. probably a set of full roller rockers to replace the OEM stuff.. 

I see your piston and valve suffered a cospatial event...

Go_Gators
12/5/19 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

OH YEA! valve was bent, fortunately $20 and readily avialable... piston.. well, ran a bit of sandpaper over it to remove the raised bit. 

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dKyXIsi7RE2V6NHghuV852vdGQiwnRyL0dZY3wMwhyF25AezdBz5sJ5Avd2Or2kV