1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 52
Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/8/20 9:16 a.m.

Put roll cage tube padding on over the weekend. its hideous. i orders some pro comp stretchy wrap to atleast cover the door bar and upper A-pillar bar. 

Go_Gators
6/12/20 10:50 a.m.

Applied pro comp 'rapz' to the padding. that was a struggle. They dont recommend installing it on over 3" total diameter, but its the only product on teh market, so i stretched it real good.... 

happy with how it came out. looks alot more finished. 

Our next autocross is tomorrow morning! Looks like it may be a wet one! 

Go_Gators
6/14/20 8:58 a.m.

photos by @a_m_greenway

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/20 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators :

I've gotten a couple of awesome rides, now I want to see what the LS1-Kart looks like when it's out on the course.

It's fun to follow the thread, and then get to see it at the events.

Go_Gators
6/15/20 1:23 p.m.

Ran fairly well Saturday. i put down a 48.2sec run, with a cone, and a few 49 sec runs.  FTD was 47.4sec, set by an alien. the first human time was 47.6sec, so i was really only a 1/2 sec off the target if i hadnt clipped the cone... 

the kart was pushy, primarily bc my front tires are on thier way out and my rears are only on thier second event. i ran the base C5 FSB on my 3 morning runs, it felt the same as running the Z51 bar last event. At break i disconnected the FSB completely, that was noticeable. when i crossed the line for my afternoon runs i thought they all felt faster, but they were not! Going to reconnect the base FSB and run it for the next few events. 

Buck's miata lost a coolant pipe on his first run, so he made his afternoon runs in the kart and got down to a 50.1sec, his run is first in the video. 

In other news, i decided on the way home the drone of the exhaust is sucking some of the enjoyment out of the drive. so, i ordered a pair of super turbo dynomax mufflers on amazon, $45/ea. For once, a muffler i cannot see straight through. going to get them on before i drive 1.5hr each way to Starke/FIRM in a couple weeks. 

video link

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
6/15/20 2:57 p.m.

I'm bummed I haven't made it to an event yet this month, this thing is a hoot to watch.  I am aiming for the FIRM next month though.  

Go_Gators
6/16/20 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Sweet, yea, FIRM events are not to be missed!

Go_Gators
6/16/20 12:02 p.m.

Like all projects on the KART, the first step is redo-ing the wiring in the vicinity. Previously the tail light wiring had run inconspicously under the rear seciton of frame. However, now i want to run the new mufflers close as possible to the frame, so the wiring needs to be shifted to the frame inboard. WHich required an inboard hole and an access that will be covered by the license plate. 

Go_Gators
6/16/20 12:05 p.m.

Here is what i am shooting for... will crop off the excess 3" stub, probably at a vertical angle to the body. 

comparo to the old bassani straight throughs... anyone need whats left of some very expensive mufflers?

Go_Gators
6/18/20 6:04 a.m.

Finished the exhaust redux... no quieter at idle. But, drastically quieter throughout the band cruising. Definitely not as race car sounding when you get into to it though.

The corvette gods must not have approved, when i had the car up for the last time to tighten every thing, i leaned on the passenger rear tire and it moved. like a lot. i shook the top of the tire and there is a good 1/4" of play. wheel bearing is super dead. referring to youtube as to how involved this task will be... doesnt look bad considering i have no fender to hinder access to everythign! 

Go_Gators
6/19/20 11:49 a.m.

The kart is high and dry awaiting receipt of the new rear hub/bearing assembly.

The kart being up and potential of wife taking the kids down to the inlaws for a few days next week  was enough excitement for me to do some splitter shopping.

i think its improbable that i will get it complete and sorted enough to run at FIRM next sunday... but... we shall see. 

6/19/20 12:41 p.m.

I have an autocross ten minutes from my house next Sunday. 

I'll be 90 minutes away, at the Firm. 

Go_Gators
6/22/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Biased, but good choice!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/22/20 8:59 a.m.

I will be there as well in my I'll prepared M coupe. 

Are you bringing the 330 or will the vette cart be ready?

Go_Gators
6/23/20 6:42 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

kart! got the rear hub assembly back on sunday. its good to go! 

Go_Gators
6/23/20 6:47 a.m.

Started working on the splitter thingy. 

as usual. first step is CAD.

planning on using the lower motor mount bolts (M10) to attach the rear of the splitter / drip pan. i want it to pivot up and down a bit in an effort to extend its life.

here is the fastener stack i am thinking. the rod coupler will now secure the bottom of the motor mount, yes those are LS1 valve spring that i for some reason have 15 sitting around.  i rounded the base of the nyloc nut to allow the washer to pivot more freely.

Go_Gators
6/23/20 6:48 a.m.

Go_Gators
6/23/20 2:28 p.m.

Made some progress. Got some paint on it. Laid out the adornments.  Garage door seal feels like just the right product for a skirt. We'll see.

more rivets...

top side stuff... thought being direct air towards the brake elements... and up the front of the engine and intake..

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/23/20 6:32 p.m.

Curious to see how you made it pivot up.

Go_Gators
6/24/20 11:57 a.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

Curious to see how you made it pivot up.

dont expect anything elaborate. between the give in the spring arrangement (pic posted a couple days ago) and the give in the playwood/aluminum L it travels about 4" vertically at the leading edge.

at the upper limit the plywood touches off on the cradle/crossmember.

i am restraining it from going to low with cable, for use at events. And up about 1.5" higher for daily use.

Autocross setting... cable even acts like a bit of a spring...

Normal driving:

Go_Gators
6/24/20 12:00 p.m.

Here is how it turned out (pics before cables and hooks were procured)...

rothwem
rothwem Reader
6/24/20 1:54 p.m.

So does anyone else find it ironic that the original poster removed the original aerodynamic body of a corvette to make an awesome kart, only to add aerodynamic stuff back on?  

Go_Gators
6/24/20 2:36 p.m.
rothwem said:

So does anyone else find it ironic that the original poster removed the original aerodynamic body of a corvette to make an awesome kart, only to add aerodynamic stuff back on?  

Pahaha. that fact does get mentioned. usually in the manner of is it a kart or rebodied corvette. 

anything open cabin is inherently not aero friendly. Not sure either of the aero projects add much value, esp for autocross.  If i ever decide to drop autocross, i would cut the wing off and pull the splitter thingy immediately! But, now that i am so close to being locally competitive for top raw time, i want to give it the best shot.

6/24/20 3:53 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I have an autocross ten minutes from my house next Sunday. 

I'll be 90 minutes away, at the Firm. 

Annddd... DeLand got canceled. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't see that coming.

See you Sunday.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/24/20 5:24 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing it again in person Sunday as well.  What are you driving doc?

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EAXAM3N4XFtoNtDEWiemcSmHCr239UZzT4jFSkdMGt1snPJ2F4NsyoPJrMUp1dTl