6/24/20 5:51 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

ES Miata.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/25/20 6:39 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Lookin ready to go!

Yea, not sure if CFR was aware we had made arrangements with FIRM to have our postponed April FIRM event this weekend or not. But, sucks, i bet a fair number would have run deland saturday and with us on sunday!

Error404
Error404 Reader
6/25/20 8:59 a.m.

If my Mustang was ready, or driveable, I could use a day at the FIRM. We had an exocet with us last time and a thunder roadster, they look like a blast on a tight track so I can only imagine the fun you're having. Does the lack of a body make the barrier on the bank turn feel closer? 

Go_Gators
6/25/20 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Error404 :

Sunday is ju;st an autocross on the main loop. This fall/winter, i plan on doing an actual track day, havent yet. 

Error404
Error404 Reader
6/25/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators :

I've done 3 full days there, 2 in the Mustang. It's a sneaky power track and it's a blast. I haven't done autocross there, or at all, but do you have the jump? 

Go_Gators
6/26/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

Yea, i am looking forward to running the actual circuit.

i did course design for sunday. so, we will be basically running the main loop, with the aforementioned, lite in the stomach hill in the bus stop. only elements in the tight turns will be to keep you from going to far outside and there will be a slalom and some offsets on the two straights.

Go_Gators
6/29/20 7:58 a.m.

Jax Solo E7 @ FIRM in late June (mid-90s). 

Great news. I survived. 

This was by far the hottest event and longest drive in the oppressive heat since the rear radiator.

Did a couple things i think were invaluable to survival. i left the roof panel on. since grid had me facing the sun, i put a sheet over the windshield while in grid, then ripped it off before rolling up to stage, i that made huge differnce. And, froze some damp towels, put them in the cooler and hung them around my neck/head between runs. when i was acutally moving, the occupant was reasonable comfortable. 

the engine temps fluctuated between 195-205 during the event, which is perfect

i did observe something odd on the way home, where i was gauge watchng a bit considering the distance, speed and heat exceeded previous drives with the rear radiator. 

normally, mixed driving, the temp stays right at thermostat, 195. mid point on the gauge is 220. so, i am in no way overheating, nor getting close. But, cruising at ~80mph and ~1800 rpm in 6th gear the temp hoovered at 205-210. But, when i dropped speed a bit, ~65mph, kept save revs by putting it back into 5th, temps dropped almost immediately back to the 195 range. 

Me thinks maybe the wind doesnt get to the radiator at 80mph as effieciently as it does at 65mph... which surprised me a bit. not concerned with it, just a odd observation.

In other news, i drove home with flip flops, intentionally. I will be adding some left over dynamat inboard of the go-pedal. that panel got super hot. felt like someone had put a hairdryer on max and pointed at the toes on my right foot!

Go_Gators
6/29/20 8:06 a.m.

The splitter thingy? yea, my calcs (gueses) were off a bit. It scraped heavily under braking and hard corning. i wore off almost all of the rubber seal! 

the front felt phenomenal though. 

my times, compared to a few of our clubs consistent drivers, were about the same. 

placed 18th raw time of 97. bit more than 3 sec off FTD. 6th overall looking at just Jax Solo drivers. There were very solid drivers and very nice equipment between me at 18 and the top! 

Go_Gators
6/30/20 8:23 a.m.

Nice shot by someone attending the sunday Event, Rich Lanqieri.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/20 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators :

nice work!  hey, could you do me a small favor?  i'd like to know the distance from the bottom of the rear suspension cradle to the ground at your normal ride height.

thanks!

Go_Gators
6/30/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

sure thing! obviously, its totally dependant on where you have the rear spring, mine is set really based on the front being maxed out in the low direction. my rear lower arms appear to go slightly up from inboard to the tire. 

coincidentally, i think we are pretty much a match!

Go_Gators
6/30/20 11:58 a.m.

youtube link

^ Linky to video. spent a bit more time on the video than i normally do... its at FIRM!!!

First clip is run2. Was a pretty clean run up to the final roadcourse turn where i got back into it too strong. good news, new splitter survived the off just fine!

Next clip is run 3 and run 5 compared simultaneously. i did that because on run 4 and 5 i used 3rd gear on the back stretch, so i wanted to see if that was needed. it was not. However, run 5 would have been slightly quicker if i hadnt over cooked the final roadcourse turn. 

THe final clip is a view looking back at the front of the kart on run1. Its a fun view, not sure why the audio is breaking up though. Obviously, i need to make a splitter ride height adjustment and i may permanently delete the rubber bit and replace it with a sacrificial strip of wood... 

In reviewing the video i feel alot like i did onsite, but couldnt get myself to adjust... i think i braked too early frequently, esp on the hairpin turn at the northend. 

The car felt very neutral, tad loose, which is where i want it. Ran right at 20 psi on all four tires which def got some temp in them with the long runs and short time between runs!

This was our last event for the summer. we are back at it mid-august for our night event... ongoing social disaster not withstanding.  No changes planned. Really, other than a couple driver comfort tweaks, no significant tasks in sight. 

Go_Gators
7/2/20 6:23 a.m.

Leaving starting line shot curtesy of turtlesharkshooter.    Good shot of the new exhaust! which by the way, did not leave my ears ringing after driving to/from ~1.25 hours each way.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/2/20 7:38 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators :

Great angle, I've never really checked it out from the back.

It looked really cool parked in the trees. Smart place to put it this time of year, too. It was so hot. 

In reply to Go_Gators :

HOT!

Go_Gators
7/2/20 9:46 a.m.

Even by florida standards..

Go_Gators
7/13/20 10:49 a.m.

Was at the race car parts store again over the weekend. Inadvertently walking the through the flooring department, i sourced a new product for use on the splitter thingy as an air dam. Going to try this wall to floor molding, appears to be plastic or linoleum. They even had a variety of colors offered at a bargain price. So i chose black.

its 4" tall, so i am going to trim it down a bit before the tarmac performs that function. 

i like the looks of this stuff. if i had known about it, i may not have used the garage door seal the first time!

Go_Gators
7/13/20 1:31 p.m.

2.0 is installed. about 1" of lip below the aluminum retaining trim. this stuff feels good. i revised the height setting too. It will now ride with about 2.75" gap between tarmac and bottom of the strip. For the Street i can swing the hooks into the lower eyes and that brings it up about another inch. 

Go_Gators
7/31/20 10:42 a.m.

Weather and daycare logistics allowed driving of the LS1-KART to work today.  Upon arriving at the base gate the sentry,  giving my id barely a glance,  yelled through her N95... "that is the coolest thing i have seen come through this gate!" 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
7/31/20 11:04 a.m.

Yup pretty dang Kool for a "going to werk Karr"

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/20 12:24 p.m.
Go_Gators said:

Weather and daycare logistics allowed driving of the LS1-KART to work today.  Upon arriving at the base gate the sentry,  giving my id barely a glance,  yelled through her N95... "that is the coolest thing i have seen come through this gate!" 

Didn't we have a thread for "park your car next to something cool?"

Go_Gators
8/18/20 12:49 p.m.

Jax Solo's annual Day into Night AUTOX was saturday. Kart ran great,  had a blast, slower than i would have liked (12th raw time), but thats not new! 

It was definitely pushy mid-cornering and exit.  I am going to repeat the upper control arm mod on the front, like i did the rears. I am only at 2.8deg static neg camber up front. I have yet to drive an autox car where more front camber didnt help. Gonna aim for a bit more than 4deg. Front tires are also getting aged, replaced them about a year ago and i currently drive them on the street too... 

youtube link

here are a couple pics for those that dont make it to the video!!

Thanks to Ash @ SPECTRO racing for the pics! 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/20 2:53 p.m.

I think you should whip up a frame and make a retractable soft top...

Go_Gators
8/27/20 7:17 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

no way. i try to avoid moving parts!

Go_Gators
8/27/20 7:20 a.m.

Got started with the replication of the upper rear control mod on my upper fronts. 

Plan  is simple remove'em, open the hole, add aluminum, redrill taper hole 1/2" inboard, which, by my estimation will net an additional ~2.5deg of neg camber. 

Before pics. 

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9tq6T7fZz1k7IPW9xwUse6fZRDFxyAB9DjDvTSs6Xm9bGCgc27P0E17IQfVx4WXI