1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 52
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/14/21 5:45 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (FS) :

Yea, i dont think the engine was at risk, but the temp seemed to have no ceiling, it would have just kept climbing. 

Agree, multiple, potential benefits. Bought the material to make it yesterday. 

Included in the purchase was one last stick of 1.75 DOM... which for anyone tracking... is now up to $300/stick(20ft)!!!! Beleive it was around $200/stick when i first built the cage. 

The kart is getting chopped. Doing away with the upward curving continuous A-pillar bars and going halo. The upward curving bars, though they got the cage away from my head, they were always a compromise. I never loved the way they turned out, but was running out of time and money on the initial build. 

4/15/21 8:31 a.m.

Some progress on the aforementioned chop.

Had to bring in the gusset bars a bit. Thou a tad unconventional, this worked... pucker worthy for sure. 

so much harbor frieght under enough strain to bend 1.75 DOM... 

here is the new halo in the bender.

4/15/21 8:34 a.m.

Really liking the new look. Still need to prep the joint areas and tack it in. Then its over to Buck's for final tig welds. 

4/16/21 11:43 a.m.

I did a little air flow test in an effort resolve the on track over heating issue.. posted it over in the GRM forum. heres a link:

GRM forum thread

4/16/21 11:52 a.m.

Oh, the new halo bar arrangement is GOOD.

Got it tacked in and ready for Buck to tig it home... 

5/18/21 6:22 a.m.

Event # 3 for 2021 was Saturday. Buck and i codrove the kart. Placed 5th overall raw time of 82 entires. Wasnt super pleased with my runs.  Got some pics, first time with the new 'flat top' roll cage...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/18/21 6:55 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

It sure looks good. I think the halo design is much better. 

I was working Saturday, so I missed yet another Buccaneer event. The June date coincides with our local Martin Sports Car Club, so I'll be missing that one too.

My wife is codriving her second event, and she's declining the longer round trips (so far, heh, heh). 

I've been intending to make it to as many of your events as possible this year, and halfway through the year that's none. sad

6/18/21 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

thanks! hope yall can make it up in the fall!

6/18/21 4:04 p.m.

this one was not grazed...  i got all of it. 

6/18/21 4:08 p.m.

got tons of great photos from @spraglerock on IG during E4 with Jax Solo... my runs... well... not great. 9th raw time, out of first by less than 1.5sec. 

7/4/21 4:49 p.m.

I am getting around to working on a rear panel in hopes air flow to the radiator at high speed will improve.  Lots to consider. panel has to be easily removable to access battery. Clear, in the area i can see in the rear view mirror. Obviously, lite. Integrate with roof 2.0 which will sweep down to the panel.  

7/4/21 4:51 p.m.

Months ago i realized my Hobart handler 140 was capable of welding aluminum, via convential mig wire feed (no spool gun). Have played around with it a bit. No expert for sure, but good enough to stick braket pieces together. There wont be too many welds in this panel, but roof 2.0 structure will be completely welded. 

7/4/21 4:54 p.m.

Pretty thrilled with how clean and proper the new radiator shroud turned out. Eventually, a polycarbonate panel will finish off the top portion.. 

7/4/21 4:55 p.m.

Calling this area done for now. Need another polycarbonate sheet. 

8/3/21 2:04 p.m.

On to roof 2.0.  With my new, but limited, capability of aluminum welding... roof 2.0 features a welded frame work of 1/16 and 1/8 aluminum extrusions. Skinned it in the usual .060 aluminum sheet. the besides fitting better, the whole intent of the update was to include a sloped rear portion to encourage air flow down the rear partition and into the radiator...

8/3/21 2:05 p.m.

To keep noise and heat down as much as possible... added a layer of dynamat.

8/3/21 2:06 p.m.

I need to add some sort of scoop/foil to the roof piece where the main hoop passes. Otherwise, calling the roof fairly complete. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/21 3:35 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing this in a few weeks!

8/26/21 12:38 p.m.

A pic from this past weekend's Event 5 of 2021. Highly unspectacular effort on my part. Its our annual day to night event, my least favorite on the calendar. 

Though i didnt have to design/setup course, i did have to be the fill in chairman for the event. And, it was hot. hot. hot.

i was far off the pace and ~2sec quicker at night. which aint right. f'it on to the next event. 12 september, back at amelia

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/21 12:54 p.m.

I really, really like roof 2.0. Nice work!

8/26/21 1:53 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

appreciate it! 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/26/21 2:29 p.m.

How'd the roof perform?  Temps, sound, etc

8/27/21 6:22 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Nothing to report... It only has overheating issues on track. Its never moved the needle at any autocross or on the street. 

So, realistically, it wont truly be tested till December in all likelihood. I am going to do another air flow tuft test video, hopefully next week to see if there are visual improvements. 

9/15/21 11:29 a.m.

Next step in the reduce on track water temps is keeping the radiator full-ish of water...  i mounted the small expansion tank i had prevoiusly use when the radiator was up front onto the wing upright. Its not a glamorous install, but, i have put ~50 miles on it and when i last checked the water level in the radiator it was full. Previously, it would self regulate down about 3" from the top of the radiator fill bung.

since i only need it for track days, i went with a very temporary mounting method. Figure the other 9 months of the year i dont plan to be on track i will remove it.

10/13/21 8:59 a.m.

Wow, havent updated this since April. 

Thats a direct indicator of how bad my summer was. Anyway, ran Event 7 on the Jax Solo schedule this past weekend. Kart felt great, was on my lesser-good set of toyos, trying to kill them off. 5-6 of our other senior drivers took a run or two in it as-well. All returning with smiles, a couple didnt make it half way down the runway before putting it around! 

Got to see this amazing datsun which shares more in common with the Kart than meets the eye. Its got  a C5 drivetrain. Twin turbo LS1 thou... He never got a clean run in and is more accustom to track time than tight autocross courses. Looked like a hoot for sure. 

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gf66mb6BQq5DFNqLyDCntSikZemQKuzhmiXduV8Nhi9USiZdQJl7VoXOmKTO2acF