1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 52
golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/27/22 12:33 p.m.

RIP to a legendary RacePig on this forum.  I'd bet dollars to donuts something came apart before that set up the failure chain.  That run was all over the map, and you were feathering pretty significantly.   

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/27/22 1:13 p.m.

Glad you're okay.  I only saw the aftermath, I was in the pit area when it happened.  I know autox tires can be a little iffy on dragstrips due to the hard sidewalls, but it was wild seeing the clip at the end of your video comparing how the car reacted to throttle in the autox versus the drag race.  I heard others were having trouble keeping it pointed straight, but it was not something I experienced, probably due to racing one of the slowest cars there, and being on street tires.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/22 1:52 p.m.
  1. Thrilled you are okay!
  2. Hearing all of the stories about lack of traction on the drag strip makes me feel better about the near-zero traction we had.
  3. Is that an Imola ZHP?? I had one and miss it! 
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/22 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Glad you are OK.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/28/22 6:16 a.m.

Damn. The video truly looked like drag racing on ice. Sorry to see it go down like that. 

All I can think is that it had to be a "temperature dropped below the dew point" scenario.

That sucks.  The AX run looked and sounded glorious. 

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/22 7:03 a.m.

Appreciate the encouragement all. 

10/28/22 7:05 a.m.
dyintorace said:
  2. Hearing all of the stories about lack of traction on the drag strip makes me feel better about the near-zero traction we had.

It is an Imola ZHP. Slicktop!  I autocrossed it for a few years in STX. Depending how things go with the kart, it may see action in 2023... 

10/28/22 7:13 a.m.

i have made some progress in the garage this week. 

Replaced the clutch master cylinder and removed the various structure, coolers, lights that were jammed into the serpentine belt. the rack & pinion is literally separated, so i had to remove the serpentine belt to give the engine a test start. it started on the first crank and gears engage smoothly, so i thinkthe driveline will be fine. 

10/28/22 7:17 a.m.

With the front 'bumper' removed the magnitude the frame bend is pretty evident. Is it straighten-able... i have no idea. with it now running, i will try to make time next week to trailer it to a couple local shops to get an estimate for straightening... if its even possible. 

Front cradle is also cracked, but that appears to be the most readily available piece to the puzzle.. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/28/22 9:41 a.m.
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) said:
dyintorace said:

It is an Imola ZHP. Slicktop!  I autocrossed it for a few years in STX. Depending how things go with the kart, it may see action in 2023... 

I've had 2 e46 ZHPs - one silver and one Imola (over natural brown). I loved both of them. I actually owned the silver one twice. Sold it and eventually bought it back. My goal one day is to put an S54 in one and have the 4 door e46 M3 that BMW didn't build in that generation. Please keep me in mind if you decide to part ways with it. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/22 10:14 a.m.

I'm glad to see you're considering rebuilding it. You've put a lot of development time into it and it seemed you/it were just catching your stride. Fingers crossed it can be pulled straight!

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
10/28/22 10:56 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

I'm glad to see you're considering rebuilding it. You've put a lot of development time into it and it seemed you/it were just catching your stride. Fingers crossed it can be pulled straight!

couldn't have said it any better.......

10/28/22 2:36 p.m.
759NRNG said:
AxeHealey said:

couldn't have said it any better.......

thanks guys. obviously, i have had to do some soul searching as to where i go from here with the project, but i have concluded the best thing to do is to sort it out by straightening or cropping.  

called around a bit... a shop near me says they have done C5 corvettes before, so made an appt with them for monday afternoon. 

11/1/22 7:04 a.m.

Trailered the wounded over to a shop nearby yesterday.  Was generally impressed. I didnt get the 'everyone here has a drug problem' vibe at all and the staff were all very pleasant.  the owner and office manager both looked the car over and we discussed options.  The owner said the only certain way to repair would be to clip it aft of the A-pillar, which i certainly agree with, but theres no way i could afford to let him do that. that route would have to be something i undertake on my own... i figure a year for that evolution. 

He is open to trying to pull it straight, but couldnt guarantee it could be done. which i understand. so its a bit of a gamble, but he loves the karts and i felt he genuinely wants to see me get it back on the road. So, we agreed i would go ahead and buy another front cradle ($200) and another steering rack ($350) then schedule a time bring it back to him when his frame jig is available.  He is going to work the project himself and said if he can get it straight it would be under $1500. If he cant get it straight he would work with me on the cost of his effort.  If it works out, i will certainly see if he would accept less in exchange for running the company logo on the wing for x years... 

Given my options, i am going to give this option a go. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/1/22 10:16 a.m.

" The owner said the only certain way to repair would be to clip it aft of the A-pillar, which i certainly agree with,"

I'm hoping he meant 'fore' of the A-pillar when facing the the kart.....

11/1/22 12:59 p.m.
759NRNG said:

" The owner said the only certain way to repair would be to clip it aft of the A-pillar, which i certainly agree with,"

Nah, aft of the A-pillar. the contour upward and inward ahead of the a-pillar is where there is the most deformation. there isnt a good spot in that contour to crop. it'd need to be done behind the A-pillar...  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/22 3:49 p.m.

There's a carbecue C5 in Arlington if you need a parts car. I'd be willing to go in with you to get some of the parts. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/1/22 5:47 p.m.
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) said:
759NRNG said:

Nah, aft of the A-pillar. the contour upward and inward ahead of the a-pillar is where there is the most deformation. there isnt a good spot in that contour to crop. it'd need to be done behind the A-pillar...  

Ooof my bad, didn't realize it tweaked that far back.....dang, still think it will pull thou.....fingers crossed

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/22 7:14 p.m.

What if you cut the cage carefully off where its welded to the frame, and found a donor car?   Might be easier and less expensive.   Just saying.

11/2/22 7:12 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

What if you cut the cage carefully off where its welded to the frame, and found a donor car?   Might be easier and less expensive.   Just saying.

calling that option C-ish... 

certianly do-able. 

would take the most time and effort though... Have to source another car. part it out to off-set the cost.... title challenge... think that option would take a year or so too.. 

11/8/22 1:14 p.m.

I sourced another cradle and rack & pinion from ebay.... ~$500... 

Dropped the kart and parts off at the local body shop that said they would give it a go on monday. he has my full support to pull, beat, bend, cut, heat and do whatever else he dreams up to get it back to straight! 

all my proverbial eggs are really in that basket. 

should get a call this week. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/22 4:32 p.m.

java230
java230 PowerDork
11/8/22 6:51 p.m.

Good luck, sounds like an old school frame shop. Some of those guys can work magic.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/8/22 11:11 p.m.

Keep us updated!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
11/14/22 9:34 a.m.

BUMP for updates! 

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners