1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 52
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/20/22 7:12 a.m.
759NRNG said:

The A's & B's were removed because you did this the last time or is this a new approach to Kart 2.0?

Both!  Upper, aluminum portion of the A that forms the windshield surround i removed to facilitate reuse of the A from the wrecked kart. The B pillar i removed bc thats what i did the last to remove unnecessary weight and provide a location to land the main hoop. 

12/23/22 6:51 a.m.

Work is progressing... done with the outside (dirty) work on the carcass. 

I have pulled the suspension, exhaust, radiator, wing, seats/belts and every other interference to dropping the engine/torque tube/trans/diff/cradles out of the frame.  That evolution may occur tomorrow, otherwise Monday.... 

I think whacking the cage off and extraction of the cooling lines will follow that. 

So far, so good!

Merry Christmas boys and girls. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/23/22 10:21 a.m.

You ain't moving slow!   I love it

12/27/22 6:50 a.m.

We have separation.

by far the most difficult and time consuming part of the effort so far has been wiring disconnecting.. and considering i have yet to mark a single one of them, i suspect putting the wiring back in will be the most difficult part of reassembly!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/27/22 10:19 a.m.

Labeling wires is over rated. Then again the most complicated complete wiring reassembly I've done was on the 2001 MR2 so I suspect I'd feel differently if I'd tried to put the 2012 Mercedes back together, for example.

12/28/22 7:02 a.m.
dculberson said:

Labeling wires is over rated. Then again the most complicated complete wiring reassembly I've done was on the 2001 MR2 so I suspect I'd feel differently if I'd tried to put the 2012 Mercedes back together, for example.

hope youre right! lol

literally pulled the entire harness out through the firewall, its in a ball next to the drivetrain at the moment.  i plan to lay it out somewhat neatly and try to thin it down a bit before trying to get it have in ... 

12/28/22 7:07 a.m.

Last night i got the firewall stripped and the fuel system entirely removed. 

My buddy who did all the original tig welding on the cage is back in town and going to come put a day of effort into it tomorrow,...

i am currently reconsidering removing the A-pillar and cage separately. May do it as a combo if the glue between the steel a-pillar and aluminum windshield surround is uncooperative. 

In that case, we will just whack the steel A-pillars just above the frame and weld old to new. 

Regardless, thats the plan for tomorrow!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/28/22 9:38 a.m.

Is the plan to cut the old cage out at the frame welds and just transfer to the new frame?

12/30/22 7:05 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

Is the plan to cut the old cage out at the frame welds and just transfer to the new frame?

Precisely.

Yesterday was highly productive.

That was notional sequence of events... 

We got the A-pillar and cage fully welded onto the burnt frame. And, started truncating the cradle through bolts to accommodate the cooling lines through the frame. Also removed the cooling lines from the old frame. So, the old frame is totally stripped and ready to be chopped into pieces and taken to the recycling guy. i whacked the aft end off just in case i decide to use the old radiator mounting arrangement and wing uprights.. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/22 7:22 a.m.

Incredible progress!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/22 8:54 a.m.
dyintorace said:

Incredible progress!

Yeah!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/22 9:01 a.m.
dyintorace said:

Incredible progress!

Indeed, quite impressive! 

12/30/22 9:05 a.m.

Thanks guys. Hope to make a huge push this long weekend too! 

1/2/23 4:01 p.m.

Worked on the rear end this weekend.  Had to create closures for the open frame where the water lines will eventually transit and open a space for the radiator to sit, going to try and make it more horizontal and lower now that the ABS pump is gone.

Going with a different look. The tube is from the burnt carcass, they are the door crash bars!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/2/23 4:37 p.m.

Nice reuse of old parts!  I am amazed at how fast you are moving on this.

1/3/23 6:49 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Nice reuse of old parts!  I am amazed at how fast you are moving on this.

thats always been a large part of appeal of this project to me, compared to an actual car build. its way more get'er done and go play than make it pretty!

1/3/23 6:54 a.m.

Got the B-pillars mostly done before i ran out MIG gas... on New Years eve.. of course the welding shops were closed new Years day.... and the Monday after... so all i have been able to do is tack stuff in. 

I added a thin wall tube between the door bars and frame at about the same angle as the rear tub wall to terminate it into. 

Made pieces to close off from the main hope over the arch of the frame too. On top will be aluminum sheet, to close in the fuel tank area. 

1/4/23 7:31 a.m.

Without gas, i proceeded to remaking the firewall. The OEM firewall is fiberglass which was toasted on the burnt car.. It is very well bonded to the windshield surround, a-pillar and floorpans. All of which are different shapes. The passenger side has always been a mess since removing the AC. So, i totally removed that section, but needed to retain the driverside due to its complexity. 

With a great amount of rivets, the most industrial looking adhesive the hardware store had and some tin roofing self tapping screws i have a very sturday aluminum firewall. After some paint, should look good'nuff.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/23 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

That's looking good. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/4/23 8:44 a.m.

It really does!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
1/4/23 10:11 a.m.

Was there any consideration to pulling/cutting out the old one and transferring?

1/4/23 10:27 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

Was there any consideration to pulling/cutting out the old one and transferring?

Initially, i did just whack the firewall all the way across at the top of the floorpan on the wrecked chassis transferring as much as possible.,

Look at the hanging pic a few posts up... However, passenger side was very butchered. i kept most of drivers side intact. 

1/6/23 7:48 a.m.

With the majority of welding complete, i am transitioning to painting. After that i will roll into the assembly process!

Started disassembling the running gear a bit.. think a new set of motor mounts will be required.. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/6/23 4:16 p.m.

Yo yo yo All this is by your own self and no peripheral assistance what so ever??? 

1/9/23 6:48 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Yo yo yo All this is by your own self and no peripheral assistance what so ever??? 

Nearly. The day of the cage swap my buddy who did the initial tig welding of the cage was in town and his skill set was crucial in getting that done in one day! Otherwise, just me, working a bit here and there around normal work schedule and kids sports schedule! 

1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KMApSfnleKop2lMAGXQaw2rJAlFUMEPDRvAwzmgTOF7Xqd3oDlbZ8t67HIJwnGcM