1 2 3 4 ... 12
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/18 4:59 p.m.

No. If you want 6ULs, you'll have to go to us or some other 949 dealer. But given the cost of shipping and mount/balance and the fact that you have a TR warehouse, the Advantis and other TR wheel options pick up a significant cost advantage. We are also a Tire Rack dealer, but you'd have to pay shipping.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/22/18 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Got it, I saw the Advantis they have, not a bad looking wheel.  Maybe get it in bronze.  15x8 ET25 with a 225-45-15 seems like it'd work.  Already built up my "wish list" at your shop! 

Not sure about brakes, this car will mostly be a track/auto-x car but if last season is any indicator, I'll only be able to hit a few track days and auto-x's due to time.  I don't want to rebuy gear, not sure if I should just go big to begin with or not.  I tend to be really hard on brakes, to the point that one of my track buddies, when he heard I'd gotten a different track rig commented "You know you'll need more brakes!"

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/18 9:51 a.m.

In reply to :

Miatas are pretty easy on brakes compared to other cars.  They tend to drive as a momentum car so breaking time is lessened and they are light.  

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/22/18 10:04 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I imagine with the extra power from the turbo this’ll be less of a momentum car.  Maybe still not a horsepower car like my 911 turbo but apparently it makes ~220rwhp....

Keith Tanner
12/22/18 11:14 a.m.

HPR is pretty hard on brakes in my experience. I run R4S for the street and autox, but you may want something a bit more robust if you’re hard on ‘em. Or maybe it’s time to explore higher corner entry speeds winkDucting is also your friend.

The 225 on a +25 15x8 will require a bit of fender massaging. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/22/18 11:47 a.m.

Choices are a 15x7 ET35, 15x8 ET25 or 15x9 ET35.  Can I fit the 15x8 with just rolling the fender lips?

Keith Tanner
12/22/18 1:12 p.m.

Yes, same fitment as for the 15x9 at the fender. The 15x9 is an inch closer to the springs so you need a 2.5” or smaller spring to use those. Also, then you’re locked into 225 minimum so I like to use 8s for street use. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/22/18 1:28 p.m.

Ok, that sounds like the way to go then.  15x8 ET35 with 225 tires and I roll the fenders for clearance

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/23/18 9:02 a.m.

Price check, aisle 1!  How much is an OEM hardtop with defroster worth?  One popped up on Craigslist somewhat locally.  Not quite the correct color for my car, it's more green and my car is more blue/green.  Guy wants $1500 for it, which seems a bit rich.  I thought they sold for more like $800-1000?

agp1956
agp1956 New Reader
12/23/18 9:15 a.m.

Pricing seems to vary a bit in certain markets, but that asking price is a bit rich. Have you seen it in person or viewed several good sharp images? 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/23/18 9:31 a.m.

In reply to agp1956 :

Haven’t gone to see it yet.  It’s probably an hour away, so not close enough for me to just pop over.

in classic craigslist fashion the seller only posted one mediocre photo of it.

before I waste time to go look at it I’d want to feel him out on price.  No need to waste each other’s time if he’s unwilling to accept $800-1000

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/23/18 9:52 a.m.

Factory finish in basically perfect condition in a matching color is worth $1200+. It's more about finding the right buyer if you have a top like that though. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/23/18 10:00 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Ok, this isn’t a matching color for my car.  It’s not like it’s glaringly off, like being red or something, but it still doesn’t match.

i also highly doubt it’s in perfect shape.  I may feel him out on price, in my experience people asking well over market value aren’t willing to accept a lower price....

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/18 10:05 a.m.

Holler if you need a hand or if you can't pass smog with her for any reason surprise El Paso Co FTW. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/23/18 10:27 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

For sure, thanks!  I should be able to get it through smog, it's passed several times before here, cars been here the last 18 years.  I suspect fresh gas, plugs and wires will do it, as long as I bring it in hot.  I may replace the cat just because its cheap and easy.  My time is worth more than the few hundred the cat costs.  It'd suck to take to smog only to have it fail, then have to order and install the cat and take to smog again.

Can't register the car without a valid smog certificate too.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/23/18 10:32 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Nice!  I just checked and Discount Tire has them for $105 each.  I'd love 15" wheels but at least I can just replace tires and save a bunch of money.  Nothing wrong with that!  I kinda want to keep the spend on this low.

Wait until DTD has a sale (it will happen soon, for sure).  $105 each + mounting would put you near $500.

I paid $515 for a set of 15x8s from them with decent 205 tires on them to my door. (was going to be around $835 without sale)

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/23/18 10:45 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Just checked them out, they don't have any 15x8 wheels right now, biggest was 15x7.5.  That's not really that big of a deal but they basically sell no street tires in the 225-45-15 size except the Hankook RS3's.  So no RE-71R's or Rival's.  I may use their sale to save money on a set of tires for the stock 14's, as I'm leaning more towards sticking with them for now.

Saves me at least $500 that I'd spend on wheels that I can use for the cat, or maintenance, etc, etc. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into the car until I've driven it a bit and made sure that I want to keep it around long term.

If I spend $800-1000 on a hardtop that's money I know I can recoup by selling it seperately, that's not really the case for a set of wheels/tires.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/24/18 4:08 p.m.

I love it when a plan comes together.  I just sold my 996 Euro GT3 seats for enough to pay for the Miata + taxes/tags.

I'm borrowing my friends trailer and going to pick it up the first Saturday of January.

Oh yeah, got my book from you today Keith!  Looking forward to some light reading.

Keith Tanner
12/24/18 4:57 p.m.

The RE-71R doesn't come in a 225/45-15. The Rival does, but it's not a great street option. The Hankooks are pretty much the cream of the crop for legit street tires in that size.

That book is the "grab the 10mm wrench" one that will tell you the secret of the rear brake calipers. If you want the theory, you want "How To Build...".

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/25/18 9:46 a.m.

Ok, I'll start with this one and then see what I think.  I'm really more on the hunt for a good used set of 15" wheels/tires.  If I can't find any shortly, I'll just buy 615k's for the stock 14's and call it a day.  I really only want to spend $5-600 on wheels/tires...

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/25/18 10:51 a.m.

Great buy!  Welcome to Miatadom! 

Looks like you're getting pretty good info on most of your questions already.

Since no one mentioned them, I had very good luck with Hawk HPS pads on my NA (original 1.6 brakes) on the street and shorter/slower tracks like Grand Junction.  Once I got to Laguna Seca, they couldn't cope with the higher speeds, but that was on R-comp tires.  Same pad was also very good on my wife's NC under the same usage.  Not enough for hard/fast track use, but very good on the street, no noise, little dust and can put up with casual track use.

Factory hard tops are getting really pricey these days... if you can get one with good paint (in any color) for $1k, you'll get your money back.  Anything under that is a bargain.  People still post about getting them cheap, but it's a rarity these days.

For the steering wheel, there are workarounds for the airbag light.  Search on miata.net...  A flat bottom wheel makes a big difference.  And if you get a quick release, it makes getting in/out much easier.  Plus it's a good theft deterrent! wink

Oh, and another vote for attending Summer Camp at FM... it's a great time!

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/25/18 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Apparently there's the "zip tie" trick?  That seems to disable the airbag ECU completely, so it'll kill the passenger bag too, which I kinda want to do so I can put my 5 year old son in the car with me. 

I'm thinking more of a dished steering wheel, people have complained that without that, or a quick release hub, they hit their knuckles on the turn signal stalk, etc.  I may do a quick release, I have in previous cars as I like having the wheel a little closer to me.  What's the recommended QR hub?

My plan is to track the car so I'll need more aggressive pads than HPS for sure.  I'd really just like to pull the trigger on the FM wilwood kit but I hesitate to spend so much on brakes right at the beginning of my ownership.  I kinda want to drive the car a bit first.

I am thinking about coming to the FM Summer Camp and bringing my son.  It's not a far drive from me at all. When does registration open and is there a schedule of events posted already?  He's only 5, so I can't really leave him to his own devices while I'm out on track, so we'd more likely want to do group drives/events etc instead...

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/25/18 11:32 a.m.

They haven't posted the schedule yet, but keep an eye here:  FM summer camp

Also, if you call in and talk to Tami, I'm sure she'd put you on the email list.  Registration usually opens end of Jan/ early Feb.

Another option for brakes is the factory NB 'sport' upgrade (standard on all '03 up cars).  The parts can be a little tricky to find these days, but with good track pads they reportedly work very well.  However, if you're serious about tracking on R-comps, the big brakes are the way to go.  I made that decision, and haven't regretted it.  Except for Wilwood's stupid NPT fittings...LOL.  Even though I'm still naturally aspirated, I know I've got enough brake for whatever HP the car gets in the future.

I used an NRG quick release for my wheel.  I haven't had any reason to regret it.  I tore all my airbag wiring out completely, so I'm not up on the 'fix' for the light.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/25/18 12:06 p.m.
docwyte said:

Ok, I'll start with this one and then see what I think.  I'm really more on the hunt for a good used set of 15" wheels/tires.  If I can't find any shortly, I'll just buy 615k's for the stock 14's and call it a day.  I really only want to spend $5-600 on wheels/tires...

Yeah, not in stock right now.  I did buy mine when they weren't in stock.  Like 6 weeks later they came in, they slapped tires on them, and sent them my way.  The only pain in the butt part is you need to wait until they actually ship to get an invoice # so you can get your rebates.

It would not surprise me to see you pick up 15x8s with 205 RE71s during a Presidents day sale for around $600 from DTD.  That's when I got my setup last year, discount stacked for $320 off.  If you are lucky and an Ebay or manufacturer discount aligns with it, you can get even more off.

Alternatively... if you want to buy a set of 15x8s with 205 Conti Extreme Sports on them, I'll sell you a set.  They come with 2 extra sets of wheels!  And a car!

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/25/18 1:11 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I’d be interested in a set of wheels but not a whole other car!

So let me know if you’d be willing to sell me a single set of 15*8’s....

1 2 3 4 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LpDUY8VgFUgkQGUR7Lw8E3XIXjVFBA3MgVYg8A9B2LSkpjDkIGsBibwrvFfRnUl8