1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/27/20 12:20 p.m.

Looks like a minor bumper mod, and your golden! Red Green would be proud!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/27/20 5:47 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:
bearmtnmartin said:

Turns out if you cut enough Freightliner away there is a nice engine stand underneath.

And for anyone wondering how much wiring in a class 8 truck, there is this much.

I find this a little strange, or poorly engineered perhaps. If it worked then fine, but it is going to cost me a repair. 

See the problem? This is a truck that is designed to gross 140,000 pounds, and it has an aluminum bellhousing, for a hint. 

I'm awaiting the "plug and play" of this into the nose of the BBird.....carry on,,,just wow!!!

Plug and play.... Perhaps not!

I was being my usual smart A$$.....and of course this is WAY more involved than just plugging it all together. I'm awaiting the 'heart transplant'.......late

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/20 12:35 a.m.

Took some time off for yard work and Canadian Thanksgiving but back at it.

Truck had a rebuilt transmission and new clutch as advertised. The shift dogs wear after years of clutchless shifting and these are brand new.  ( small cogs down low that the shift forks slide to engage the gears)  I managed to drop a shift spring down there which required an hour to drop the PTO cover and oil and fish around for it. Found it thank goodness.

Replaced rear main.  It was showing a bit of leakage so money well spent. 

bearmtnmartin
10/20/20 5:09 p.m.

Almost done with phase one of this thing. I am not too far behind schedule as I wanted to get to phase two- heart surgery- after Canadian Thanksgiving,  which was two weeks ago. But I took a weekend to drop a large cedar tree and deal with it before it took out half my property plus the high voltage line. Still, I hope to have the motor buttoned up by this weekend so not to bad considering what I started with. 

This is where I stand:

Transmission resealed and bolted up, cut the rest of the frame away and dealing with the components I could not access with the frame in the way.

Rebuild turbo back and installed, fresh filters on. 

Front cover off and getting a scrubbing and new seals tonight.

Rebuilt injector$$$$$$ back so I can get the top end back together finally. This one expense was much as most other costs put together. I thought I was well under budget until I got this bill. It was unexpected because the truck ran well and I had no reason to expect anything major.  But I took them to a rebuilder so they rebuilt them.

Someone has had the motor apart because they mixed the crossheads up.

Plan tonght is finish up front cover and rebuild air compressor.

bearmtnmartin
10/22/20 3:09 p.m.

Listed my original drive line for sale. Got lots of interest. I said pretty clearly money talks. This guy was still in the can we do a trade for something I will be by in a few weeks stage, but cash showed up so I politely let everyone know it was sold. I get this...

There is more but you get the idea. Some people's kids. I sold some wheels a while ago and they took a long time to move and one guy called me five times promising to pick them up. They eventually sold to someone else.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/22/20 4:22 p.m.

I listed a bad LS short block for $50 on CL. Had many people like this. Can we trade? I'll be by next week if my paycheck is good enough! Then I sold it to someone who wanted it and came right away with cash. I got two people very mad that I sold it. Same story. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/22/20 5:41 p.m.

Dean looks like the sort of guy who always complains that he can never catch a break.

bearmtnmartin
10/27/20 12:24 p.m.

I am out with a measuring tape, looking to see how the new motor will fit in the fossil. The old V8 Cat sits with the heads above the frame rails, which means the top of the engine protrudes up into the driving area as per the photo below. The seats have an air slide so you can move them to the wall, sit down and then slide back to a driving position. 

The new engine being an inline design is quite narrow in comparison to the Cat, and will fit (I think) between the frame rails, which means I can lower it and loose most of the doghouse. The only problem is that the turbo hangs out on the right side quite a bit. So I am considering just offsetting the engine to the drivers side, which would solve the problem and allow me to drop it lower. That would mean the driveshaft would be misaligned on two planes, having to drop and move to the right to meet the differential yoke. Will this cause vibration issues? Every driveshaft has a drop which is not an issue, and older four wheel drives sometimes have very misaligned front driveshafts, but I don't think they are often driven with the front axle powered at highway speeds. Thoughts?

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/27/20 1:16 p.m.

U-joints only have one angle at a time, right? It has no idea whether it's down and over, or just down. All that matters is angle, phase, and parallelism of the shafts that are being connected, unless I am much mistaken. So as long as the offset doesn't add too much angle, I don't see a problem.

I have not done this, nor lived with the repercussions. So, grain of salt and all.

bearmtnmartin
10/27/20 1:30 p.m.

That is kind of my thinking. But I am not confident enough to do all the work, finish the project, and then find I have a vibration issue. 

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
10/27/20 1:34 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

I don't blame you one bit!

Ask some driveshaft pros? I know these folks mostly because they were who I was pointed to for all things driveshaft; in my case it was just rebuilding and adding zerks to a BMW 2002 driveshaft, but they do all kinds of industrial/marine/truck stuff, and I suspect they'll know what to be concerned about.

bearmtnmartin
10/27/20 1:42 p.m.

The Cat sits very level, and the driveshaft is angled at both ends. But if I tilt the new motor, I will still only have an angle in one plane. According to Spicer, the angle should be between one and three degrees with a variation of less than a degree on each end. I think I will stick it in there and worry more about the maximum angle rather than what plane the angle is in.

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
10/27/20 2:46 p.m.

Tilt the new motor? I had the impression the new motor's crank (as a reference) would be lower and off to one side relative to the Cat, but parallel. Or do you just mean tilt as in rotating around the crank?

I suspect I'm just not understanding what you mean by "tilt" but if the crank stops being parallel to the input at other end of the driveshaft (I guess within 1 degree, according to Spicer?) that's when you'll get variations in input vs output speed and thus vibration...

At least Spicer's spec means you should be able to Trig out whether your proposed offset will net 1-3 degrees and know whether you're good there.

bearmtnmartin
10/27/20 3:15 p.m.

You are right. I would have to tilt the axle up a corresponding amount. Which I can do since I need to add lift blocks anyway.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/20 4:44 p.m.

Quite the project does not even begin to describe this.  Looking fantastic! 

But you did miss this chance.  (Or did you?)

Freightliner Death cart!  laugh

bearmtnmartin
10/27/20 6:11 p.m.

I did! But unfortunately circumstances dictated that I rendered it undrivable before it was just a frame engine and wheels so the opportunity passed.

bearmtnmartin
10/27/20 6:13 p.m.

Found this, so I guess I am going to try offsetting the motor. Wish I had paid more attention in grade 9 math. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/27/20 8:19 p.m.
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:

U-joints only have one angle at a time, right? It has no idea whether it's down and over, or just down. All that matters is angle, phase, and parallelism of the shafts that are being connected, unless I am much mistaken. So as long as the offset doesn't add too much angle, I don't see a problem.

I have not done this, nor lived with the repercussions. So, grain of salt and all.

This is the way my thinking always went. But I've has "friends" get a little ugly about haw I didn't know what I was talking about. The only reason it never got done in my old 48 cab over, is I decided not to put the big 390FE in it. I wasn't the least bit worried about proving them wrong. The U-joint does not know the difference in side or up. as long as the "plane" is correct.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/28/20 9:28 a.m.

Can you mount the engine and trans at an angle front to rear?

bearmtnmartin
10/28/20 12:17 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

I may do that. But as mentioned above it will mean tilting the rear axle the same amount. 

bearmtnmartin
10/28/20 12:21 p.m.

Phase one is done. Engine is complete and ready for install. Should be easy right....?

And this is all that is left of the Freightliner

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/28/20 12:27 p.m.

So, can you have something of common size next to the engine? Having a hard time figuring scale....

bearmtnmartin
10/28/20 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

It doesn't look huge after the truck is stripped away actually. It is an 11 liter engine, so for comparison a V10 dodge is 8.5? I will see what I have for scale.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/28/20 12:35 p.m.

Can of pepsi, wife, football, etc. It LOOKS huge in the pictures. But so did micromachines in the commercials. 

bearmtnmartin
10/28/20 1:02 p.m.

It's really not much bigger than a small rabbitlaugh

Or a 650GS

1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FVeiyWbNUZwS1NheVVnQB22kp4ChY8DLbXScV4rR1z0bHRGbyxhUUlNBM9t6NLAH