1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/21 9:47 p.m.

With all this extra power, are you going to need to do anything to upgrade the brakes?

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/21 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The new engine has an engine brake so I don't expect to really need the wheel brakes anymore.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/21 10:29 p.m.

Awesome

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/15/21 10:44 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

With your background, I'm sure you know this, but for the kiddies following along at home, an engine brake is not to replace rear brakes, but to add some engine braking capacity that a diesel lacks over a gas engine, Turns out the make a diesel considerably better at engine braking than gas!

Keeps form needing to upgrade, but I'm sure you are not saying you'll be running without.

So cool to see this coming along.

1/15/21 11:00 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

True enough. I should most likely do a better job of explaining this type of thing. The engine brake works by lifting the exhaust valves off their seats during downhill coasting in gear, so that the compression stroke is forced into the exhaust and causes a ton of drag on the engine. For this engine it will generate about 350 braking horsepower, which is enough that I will rarely need wheel brakes unless moving slowly in town or for panic stops.

If anyone wants to know something ask away!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/15/21 11:10 p.m.

I've mentioned on other posts that a lot of the pickup diesel guys try to brag about having a "Jake Brake," (like the big rigs have) when what they really have is an exhaust brake. No where near as effective, and not the same thing. Is better than nothing, but not a "Jake" (short for Jacobsen, who developed the early engine brake apparatus, for those that don't know) The exhaust brake just closes a flap across the exhaust. You can almost tell its on in my Medium Duty truck, with the AT and 3126 Cat.

1/23/21 9:50 a.m.

Good morning GRM

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/21 11:21 a.m.

Red sky at night - sailor's delight

Red sky in the morning - sailor take warning

The weather is coming

1/23/21 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

snow is in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/16/21 11:35 a.m.

I am still picking away but progress slowed as the temperature dropped. 

Built a header for the turbo out of schedule 80 pipe.

Wrapped it with insulating tape and installed.

Finished building the radiator and CAC mounts and pressure tested the radiator and painted ready for final install. Paint cans held 18 pounds of pressure. On the bottom you can see the random VW poly mounts from my parts stash that I repurposed.

And pulled the rear suspension for lift kit installation. Had I known I was pulling the whole thing I would never have struggled with the 300 pound diff under the bus. But no one told me so....

golfduke
golfduke Dork
2/16/21 11:39 a.m.

love seeing this thread on top of my active posts!  good work.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/21 12:41 p.m.

I like your pressure test plugs there.  I wouldn't have thought of trying that one!

2/16/21 12:57 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

The only thing I could find in the shop that fit!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/16/21 7:48 p.m.

I borrowed a dually form a friend right after we pulled the bed off, but before we got the flatbed installed. When I added fuel, the closest fit in the free end of the fuel hose was a cap from an aerosol lube can. Still being used 3 years later!

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
3/11/21 7:04 p.m.

A friendly “how’s it goin, eh?”  smiley

3/12/21 3:37 p.m.

I'll have an update this weekend! The shop has been cold and unfriendly lately but spring is here and I am getting things done. Mostly drudgery that is hard to document.

3/15/21 10:32 a.m.

I tried to add some photos but they looked very odd so I will wait till admin has the upload issue dealt with.

solfly
solfly Dork
3/18/21 12:18 p.m.

Cool project. On a site with a bunch of crazy stuff it stands out even in comparison. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/18/21 12:22 p.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

I tried to add some photos but they looked very odd so I will wait till admin has the upload issue dealt with.

Others seem to have had luck in adding their photos, hitting the Post button, then after the post has been added, hitting the Edit button. Apparently they don't actually have to make any changes; just hitting the edit button, and then Post to close the editor, works to resize the images.

3/18/21 8:47 p.m.

3/18/21 8:47 p.m.

Butt connector hell test post

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/18/21 9:12 p.m.

Sure is nice when the colors at each end of the wire don't match...

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/18/21 9:12 p.m.

Glad I don't have to help ya sort that out!

The aftermarket part of the wiring on my FL 50 conversion was not that bad, but not very good either. I tried to improve it and add a couple options. Yea, I made it worse. I gotta fix that one day.angry

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/21 9:15 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

I helped a buddy fix an electrical mess on his Fiat 124 and knew it was going to be extra fun when the color changes we saw tracing the wiring was just like the factory diagram said it was supposed to be. Oy.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/18/21 9:56 p.m.
paddygarcia said:
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

I helped a buddy fix an electrical mess on his Fiat 124 and knew it was going to be extra fun when the color changes we saw tracing the wiring was just like the factory diagram said it was supposed to be. Oy.

Ya know why the Brits drink warm beer?      

'Cause they own Lucas refrigerators!

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZReNRTwfyp3OG78bsNJSxBgEYW19snuFxBmOVXHE3JJXpYoTmxYyg4fEpWCEqBIt