1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 38
759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/17/23 7:17 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I think you misspelled "welded"

In all seriousness I can't think of a good way to make a quick release body out of this shell and therefore I'm not even going to try. There are very few operations that the main shell would need to come off for and at that point the car would probably be totaled anyway. Almost everything will be able to be serviced with the main shell on. Front clip will be easily removable if I can figure out how however

Dzus fasteners for the front clip wink......what are looking at for "clips " to hold the body to the frame and will Bro Steve be helpin' yu wit dat?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/18/23 5:54 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Thats a maybe. I may also wind up with a few bolts and the structure comes off. Dont know yet because i haven't stared at it enough yet.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
1/18/23 9:13 a.m.

For the front clip I like using these bolts and clips.

Speedway Race Car Body Bolt Kit, 10 Piece with Clips (speedwaymotors.com)

Depending on what structure you have left you can either just use a tab with a hole to hold the clip or I have also used a small diameter tube, hammered the ends flat and bent as needed to position. Same deal, hole with clip makes it easy to install/remove when needed.

If its a location that is seen from the exterior I use these

Dominator DOM-1200-BK Body Bolt Kit, Black (speedwaymotors.com)

They're the same 1/4-20 thread so the clips work too. Or in some places I just have a nut welded to the bracket on the inside.

My front clip uses the stock fender mounts at the A pillar and then several of these bolts and clips along the support tube I put in that goes from the firewall/door top/window base to the front of the frame. Header panel is held on with 2 bolts to that same tube, a couple to each fender, and the crash bar to frame. Mine is probable a lot heavier than yours will be so you can probably get by with even less. I can pull my front clip in about 30 min thanks to the clip being largely mounted to the support tubes which i made removable from the frame with interlocking cage tube joints.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/23 7:12 a.m.

Bellhousing is painted. I need to find a blowproof at some point though. Especially when i do a lightweight flywheel on the planned 8000 rpm 4.8 build. Im thinking a used lakewood if i can find one cheap. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/23 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Asphalt_Gundam :

You have given me a lot to think about here. Ill be picking your brain later when i get to that step.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/23 10:10 a.m.

Just admiring where you're at.  No brain to help.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/23 1:50 p.m.

I have friends who are great enablers. 

Under $125 for all, and all stickers. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
1/19/23 2:08 p.m.

Oh I am so excited for the wheels and front clip photo.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/23 2:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Get me "D" codes off the sidewalls and I can tell you how old they and what tracks they may have been destined for.

Looks like you have enough to "test" some different doping methods...

Edit: I see some of them have track and corner notes on them already. Still worth figuring out the age.

HalfFast
HalfFast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/19/23 2:16 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Bellhousing is painted. I need to find a blowproof at some point though. Especially when i do a lightweight flywheel on the planned 8000 rpm 4.8 build. Im thinking a used lakewood if i can find one cheap. 

Never skimp on safety.  Ever. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/23 2:21 p.m.

In reply to HalfFast :

I have never had a clutch explosion personally. Nor do I know someone that has had one in the last 20 years. That being said I like my feet and I continue to look fairly frequently for used blow proof bell housing. I legitimately cannot afford the thousand bucks for a new one at this point so used as my only alternative

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/23 2:21 p.m.
stafford1500 said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Get me "D" codes off the sidewalls and I can tell you how old they and what tracks they may have been destined for.

Looks like you have enough to "test" some different doping methods...

Edit: I see some of them have track and corner notes on them already. Still worth figuring out the age.

Will do sir!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/23 4:01 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Are those the ones that were posted on Marketplace somewhere in NC at like $15 per? I saw them and meant to post here earlier. I can try to find the link again if you need. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/23 4:07 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

No sir but I'll take a look at those too! My buddy Luke does auctions and got these at the iron horse auction for me

jimgood
jimgood Reader
1/19/23 5:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to HalfFast :

I have never had a clutch explosion personally. Nor do I know someone that has had one in the last 20 years. That being said I like my feet and I continue to look fairly frequently for used blow proof bell housing. I legitimately cannot afford the thousand bucks for a new one at this point so used as my only alternative

I was going to suggest a trans blanket but they're pretty expensive too.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/23 5:33 p.m.

In reply to jimgood :

I'll find one at some point. At a price I'm willing to pay. I do think it's odd that a lot of the aftermarket Bell housings are cast aluminum though. Regardless it is one area that I am actively looking it upgrading the safety of

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/23 7:09 p.m.

While not a true blast can, maybe some steel or aluminum plate weldment bolted to the bellhousing would deflect (but not contain) a clutch explosion. Maybe better than nothing

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/23 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I misremembered and they are in GA. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/511220954223046/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ac8c50e9b-d925-4dab-b7b2-bf6100e3a482

Dusterbd13-michael
1/20/23 10:03 a.m.
twentyover said:

While not a true blast can, maybe some steel or aluminum plate weldment bolted to the bellhousing would deflect (but not contain) a clutch explosion. Maybe better than nothing

That's a really good idea. I need to look at clearance to see if i can implement that right out of the gate. 

Axehealy: im debating whether or not 6 sets is enough now....

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
1/20/23 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Awesome buy on the tires, I saw what they sold for at that auction and I was amazed at what a good deal they were, It's awesome that they went to you! I got a set of stickers from their RFK racing auction last fall, but I think I ended up paying $60 a tire/rim, I guess they were more in demand last time. I was actually just down in Rockingham yesterday picking up my spoils from the iron horse auction too.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/20/23 11:28 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

My buddy Luke spotted these at the last minutes of the auction and bid on them for me. He does a lot of the iron horse auctions for the miscellaneous bin stuff. And he even picked him up for me since he was going to pick up his bins!

Dusterbd13-michael
1/21/23 4:13 p.m.

two complete sets of mounted slicks not shown. 

I have issues. 

jimgood
jimgood Reader
1/22/23 4:30 a.m.
twentyover said:

I'll bet a thin steel plate under the floor would be just as safe and probably easier to install. For added protection, glue some Kevlar to it.

orangecruz
orangecruz New Reader
1/26/23 3:10 a.m.

Well what can i say ive read every word from the start, amazing build,

Sat here in england stunned at the work and speed , keep it up Sir heart

Dusterbd13-michael
1/26/23 5:51 a.m.

In reply to orangecruz :

Thanks! And the break last weekend did me good. Ill be back at it tomorrow. Hopefully with some renewed vigor.

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5upN5IEBAOCa6avR2vMiPqODo56vplBZIhwrsYUwGuxjiVOW1IT26BXqZgjOASxC