1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 93
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/18 7:46 a.m.

Test and tune at VIR? I wonder if I could have my project e28 ready by then... 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/18 7:54 a.m.

YES!!! 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/18/18 8:00 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Yes. Triad sports car club. Actually the Danville airport, but its right next door to vir.

You should give maximum effort to be there.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/18 8:21 a.m.

Fantastic, that feeling is something you  will never forget when a project like this comes to life and you actually drive it for the first time. It also gives you inspiration for that next project when you are doing something crazy and you know you can make it happen, given enough time, energy and talent!

I also agree that now that you have proven that it can move under it's own power, now you need to finish all the remaining things to make it ready for the track. Check lists are your friend here, and keep checking things off that list and this car will be all you want it to be. Congratulations on a job well done, been a fun project to watch!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/18/18 8:30 a.m.

What tires were you on and what will you have on the track?  You might look at getting more traction. Congrats! And do some hard 1/8th miles then let off so you can SWAG your full 1/4 potential. You have plenty of time to upgrade the roll bar/cage. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/18 8:35 a.m.

It’s really more of an old taxiway... iirc... I’ve only run there once.  I’m a little bummed I’m now significantly farther away and this isn’t an easy excuse to skip out on sleepy wife’s family.

Re: checklist

You might look up a PCA/SCCa/TrackDaze HPDE tech inspection form

good luck!

Dusterbd13-michael
12/18/18 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I was on the Chinese all seasons that are 3/4 worn out. 

Planning on the spec miata slicks or avons. Probably the spec miata slicks. But the avons are legitimately free, not challenge free. 

Sleepyhead: good call! I do track techs all the time for customers, and didn't even think about the inspection form as a checklist. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/18/18 11:40 a.m.

Well, i made a 3 page list. And im sure im missing stuff. 

AWSX1686
12/18/18 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Ahh, looked it up, might be more of a trip than I can justify for testing. I was thinking VIR was a little closer, but that's a good 5 hours from me. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/18/18 1:00 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Fair enough! I was thinking you were in Pennsylvania and it would be a pretty good hike. But, some guys like that!

AWSX1686
12/18/18 1:07 p.m.

3 hours or less, I'd probably do it. 2 hours to get to an event is almost a no-brainer. 5 is just a lot. I've driven farther to pickup a car, but that's not the same as staying to do an event. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
12/18/18 1:16 p.m.

Seth: i love cars that WANT to hurt you. Something visceral in man vs machine. I love it. Part of why i build the stuff i do. There are far better ways to make tires go faster, but they generally aren't brutal and murderous enough to be fun for me.

This! And why I got rid of a particular car recently 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/18/18 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

My fear is that I built something so murderous that I will not be able to tame it. I am not a Alan mccrispen or some other sort of Rockstar autocross driver

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/18 2:06 p.m.

You will be fine, remember Flyin Miata sticks LS3's in these things all the time! 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/18/18 2:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Justjim75 :

My fear is that I built something so murderous that I will not be able to tame it. I am not a Alan mccrispen or some other sort of Rockstar autocross driver

This is a concern that lingers in the back of my mind with the Molvo. It CAN NOT be scary to drive and yet is is going to have near 300 hp and torques at the crank.

Looking forward to getting where you are now!

Pete

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/18 3:27 p.m.

Yep, I'm definitely in that "fear my creation" camp. Datsaniti terrifies me. So many noises. So heavily modified that I can't keep track of what to watch out for. You have to keep an eye on the whole thing and it's stressful! I would like to tell you it gets better, but I'm only a couple steps ahead of you and it is no tamer since the 2018 Challenge.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/18/18 3:30 p.m.

The duster is finally tamed somewhat. And same with the amc.

So it IS possible with enough perserverance. I think. Or you just get used to it (mechanical, not dynamically)

Dusterbd13-michael
12/18/18 4:09 p.m.

So i just took the avons and steelies out of storage. Hope to swing by dallas's place  this week and mount them up on his manual machine. Because challenge budget.....

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 4:45 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Seth: i love cars that WANT to hurt you. Something visceral in man vs machine. I love it. Part of why i build the stuff i do. There are far better ways to make tires go faster, but they generally aren't brutal and murderous enough to be fun for me.

This! And why I got rid of a particular car recently 

Not murderous enough eh?

Dusterbd13-michael
12/20/18 9:08 a.m.

Manual tire machines, stiff sidewalls, and a SLIGHTLY too narrow wheel makes for a difficult scenario.  But they're done.

Next time i pay the man.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/20/18 9:09 a.m.

Also, judging by arm, this setup is way heavier than the spec miata slicks on nb1 wheels. But $140 cheaper in the budget. Looking forward to comparing the two at the test and tune in February. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/25/18 8:53 a.m.

We're headed home tonight, and i have the day off tomorrow. Hopefully knock some stuff off the to do list and run a longer test drive. With seatbelts and daylight. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/25/18 4:42 p.m.

Well.....  any updates yet?

Go real easy on the shifting until you are absolutely sure the clutch is right.  I have found that when cold, the trans goes right in gear and once the trans and clutch get some heat is when it will drag and hurt the engagement.  Seems backwards....

What did you do for the ecu? 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/25/18 4:48 p.m.

Currently at the last obligation with the inlaws. Then headed south with maximum effort. 

Will do with clutch/trans. Definitely one of the things on the list to check.

Ecu is currently the sinister performance one you reccomended, but will be re-tuned by Patrick for both on site fine tuning and budget purposes.  Lot of money in the budget there. But, it gets me testing. And may stay right up until the end. Or microsquirt/3900 happens due to too much nitrous....

Tomorrow goal is seatbelts, engine bay brackets, radiator shrouding, and double checks.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/26/18 8:47 a.m.

Wait....   what?  Patrick can tune these ecus? 

I think I need to send a message to somebody....

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
65Tmk2KQBz7nIXkmPS30g9bfCRuEJuo4p6OgAz6LNrNrdEFylHrkKkpBkMFlFb6i