1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 93
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/21/19 1:03 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Most of them have damage. The two 96-97 seats are the ones from earlier. However, theres a pair of 93 seats in the as well, that will donate the bottoms to my 96 seats. That allows me to use the $99 sierra auto tops tan upholstery kit to make them mint! Vs the $350 kit for the 96-97 seats.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/21/19 3:16 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Is that the most bitchin set of transfer punches ive ever seen next to the gauges? I need a darn shop

No sir. Norseman drill bits in an index

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/21/19 6:43 p.m.

I cant remember ever seeing drill bit stored like that but it makes sooo muchs sense. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/22/19 6:43 a.m.

Just drove it to church. Headed to dads afterwards to put it on the lift for tge last round of cleaning and to check alignment. Other than the aluminium seat and some other stuff, its a fantastic street car!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/22/19 7:21 a.m.

In all honesty, it's harder to build a good street car when you modify to the level you did. I'm looking forward to you reinstalling the HVAC and stereo and good seats. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/22/19 9:03 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In all honesty, it's harder to build a good street car when you modify to the level you did. I'm looking forward to you reinstalling the HVAC and stereo and good seats. 

Theres always a bunch of little details that seperate a race car that cam be driven on the street  and a street car that can be raced. And thats a line in the sand that is different for every man. Patrick and stampie and most others would probably say that i have hit that sweet spot already. However, my line is a little further back. Functional hvac, stereo, full instrumentation, comfortable seats, indicator and dash lights,  and quiet enough to actually heat the stereo arr where mine is. Which, lets be honest, except for the air conditioning my car is a couple of weekends away from. Im riiiiiight there fir my personal sweet spot.

In other news, im pretty sure that the replacement oil pan will pick up another .5-.75 quart of oil capacity. I cannot go out tp the sides with wings due to k frame issues, but i dont have to make the notch nearly as big as it is now. I will, however, be adding bungs for oil temp sender and a oil return line. Future proofing.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/24/19 10:11 a.m.

post challenge life teaser....

Dusterbd13-michael
9/30/19 6:48 a.m.

Car is as ready as its going to be. 

Wuth all the hardware coming (amc sorted, datsaniti, the jag xjrs, nitroused amg, etc) im revising my goals. They were top 5. Now im hoping to fight my way into the top 10.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/19 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I can't wait to see it in action!

AWSX1686
9/30/19 8:50 a.m.

By the way, do you plan to use a pro driver at all, or all your own driving?

Dusterbd13-michael
9/30/19 9:05 a.m.

After being shown at the local evebts that my best run is still 5-7 SECONDS slower than the first run of a good driver in my car, ill be using the pro. Im hoping to get better at driving this year, and be my own pro next year.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/19 9:13 a.m.

I still think this is a top 5 car. Easily top 5 autocross at least. I think once it's parked next to a field of typical Challenge cars, the quality you put into this will really shine. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/30/19 9:20 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I hope you are right. However, dynamic score wise, im pretty sure that you have me beat easily. So, you have a strong chance of top 5 if i do!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/30/19 9:24 a.m.

Drive it yourself, otherwise its a budget build off, not build yourself a racecar.

My opinion

Dusterbd13-michael
9/30/19 10:08 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

Drive it yourself, otherwise its a budget build off, not build yourself a racecar.

My opinion

The challenge is different things to different people.

Up until this year with this car, ive been a builder. My competition was tge build. The metal. The car.  Thats what ive always done, and the measuring stick i used.

However, ive learned ti enjoy the driving. The relationship between the car and driver, and am beginning to develop that relationship. However, its not a steady relationship for me yet. Not enough so that my driving can display the abilities of what i built. So this year, i will continue to compete as a builder. HOWEVER, my goal for the next year is to develop my driving skill so i can bring the whole package next year. The building ability AND the drivibg ability 

AWSX1686
9/30/19 10:08 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

After being shown at the local evebts that my best run is still 5-7 SECONDS slower than the first run of a good driver in my car, ill be using the pro. Im hoping to get better at driving this year, and be my own pro next year.

Cool deal. I think it'll do VERY well. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/30/19 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I think the budget build aspect is the primary focus of many people, the driving aspect is secondary. It's called "$2000 Challenge" not "How good can you drive your $2000 car challenge" and that's why they offer the pro drivers: to give each car an equal chance to shine.

However I certainly understand the appeal of wanting to drive one's own car and get the best out of it; I plan to do a run or two and see how it goes, then let a pro drive my car and see how much faster they can go. laugh I also look forward to rowing through the gears on the dragstrip.

The point is, the challenge offers many types of enjoyment and satisfaction to the competitors.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/30/19 11:41 a.m.

fair enough!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/19 12:29 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

My opinion

That’s exactly what it is.  

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/30/19 12:51 p.m.

What class have you been running in at the autocrosses?  Have you been doing SCCA or something else?

+1 for trying to be a better driver!  I'm right with you staring up at that learning curve!

Dusterbd13-michael
9/30/19 1:15 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Scca. Im in xp, purely because thats our local catchall class. And the cam guys wont let me play with them (primarily because points) even though it meets all rules except country of origin. 

HOWEVER, i compete in cam in my head. Closest competition with me as far as build style goes. And im completely outclassed there too, but getting closer with more driver modifications!

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
10/2/19 6:46 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I have one autox session. I should use the pro driver. But since I didn't build this car in any way I plan to drive it in the autox. That said can you switch to a pro for after you drive it once or twice? I ask because that is sort of plan "B".

Dusterbd13-michael
10/2/19 6:48 a.m.

Yes. At least in previous years. 

Im planning on being the tire warmer....

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/19 7:26 a.m.

That’s kinda my thought too.  I’ve driven very few autocross runs.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
10/2/19 8:55 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Car is as ready as its going to be. 

Wuth all the hardware coming (amc sorted, datsaniti, the jag xjrs, nitroused amg, etc) im revising my goals. They were top 5. Now im hoping to fight my way into the top 10.

Just now reading this.

You don't seriously think a completely stock Jag is going to bump you out do you?  I doubt the XJR finishes top ten, especially because it''ll be wearing 500 treadwear all seasons and weigh 4,000 pounds.

1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tEzfv7Sewdo2MtXnj9NJVUIawkk7C5yCgH4uuRGXlZCNJ82mYvPWG01vO1a6Zhhh