1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 93
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/17/20 12:49 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Is Dickeys even allowed in NC?? I mean, for chain bbq it's fine and i'll eat their pulled pork all day long, but wow

Eh. My brother said it was pretty good,  so i decided to try it. 

Theres way, way better an hour north. When stampie brings the miata back. Maybe we'll go there.

Wheelsmithy: i think thats a good plan! Im a far to middling builder, and poor rules/presentation guy. Stampie is good enough at rules there's one named after him!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/20 7:11 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I mean wouldn't you?

So I found something that I'm better than Michael at. That's destroying things.

I asked him "Those magnets will hold fine?" For him guess they do. For me not so much. I'll put it on the list of things I owe him. 

Not our car, not on a trailer, but it is at a gas station.

And home and put up.

10/17/20 7:16 p.m.

I was 50% right! 

Granted,  i haven't tested above 60mph or so.

Glad its safe. Go kick some ass.

Stampie (FS)
10/17/20 7:18 p.m.

Forgot to add,  if you tell Lil Stampie that he's in charge of starting Michael's Miata and reving it every hour when we stop then he turns into a time cop and calls that hour exactly.  He also needs to pee every hour apparently.

Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I mean wouldn't you?

I simply felt it necessary to acknowledge a tactically brilliant plan. Well done.

10/18/20 8:24 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Forgot to add,  if you tell Lil Stampie that he's in charge of starting Michael's Miata and reving it every hour when we stop then he turns into a time cop and calls that hour exactly.  He also needs to pee every hour apparently.

Tell him me and my tranny appreciate it!

Hopefully he giggled while the exhaust cackled

Stampie (FS)
10/18/20 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

He did but he also was worried about bugging people around us.  Once I told him to go ahead and do it then went inside the gas station.  I came back out and he's still sitting in the Miata.  He said that he didn't feel comfortable doing it without supervision so he waited for me.

I'm ignorant on this engine-revving business.  I assume it's a flat tow thing, but it's early and the coffee hasn't soaked in yet.  Please illuminate me.

Stampie (FS)
10/18/20 9:15 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

You got it.  T5 trans and driveshaft apparently a PITA to remove so stop every hour and rev the engine to get oil on the gears. 

I should have driven the car before we left.  Just backing it in last night I could tell the spring rate is up there.  I'll have to take it for a drive this week before leaving for the Challenge.

10/18/20 9:34 a.m.

Don't forget the tires have 40psi for towing 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/20 10:05 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't forget the tires have 40psi for drifting

FTFY 

Stampie (FS)
10/22/20 11:48 a.m.

That moment when someone hands you their car keys and says "That's the only key for it."

Spare key made.

In related news our build book is sparkly pink. 

10/22/20 12:21 p.m.

Im gonna paint nader that color. Bass boat flake pink!

And thanks for the spare key. Probably should have done that a few years ago.....

Stampie (FS)
10/22/20 12:52 p.m.

Miata is attached to the truck again.  Had an oh E36 M3 moment.  Put it in first and let out the clutch and nothing happened.  Berk ... put in clutch and push the shifter forward more ... click ... ok now I'm in first.  Can also confirm that I'm not too fat to get out with the steering wheel still installed.  I didn't even think about removing it cause well all my wheels stay attached.  Guess that makes me just a semi fat boy.

Stampie (FS)
10/22/20 1:26 p.m.

Fourth day picking up Lil Stampie at his new school. Mom in the minivan ahead of me tells me she likes the car.  Already winning carpool line.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
10/22/20 1:30 p.m.

Needs full aero package on it for school pick-ups. 

Stampie (FS)
10/22/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

I considered it but after the tow light incident I didn't want to risk breaking anything else.

10/22/20 1:43 p.m.

Umm...

Dont you need Tow lights?

Stampie (FS)
10/22/20 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I checked and you can see my taillights well which IIRC is good enough for FL.  I have a plan for coming back up and worse case I can throw them back up.

10/22/20 1:58 p.m.

Fair enough!

You can't see the taillights on my red truck when im towing it, but the red truck is like three feet lower tha yours....

Stampie (FS)
10/23/20 7:09 p.m.

Wow I forget every year how tough the Challenge is on the body.  I'm worn out, drinking a beer, and ready for bed.

We arrived at the gate about 7:45 and got set up pretty quick.  We got the autocross tires mounted and all the stickers in place for tech.  Tech went uneventful so we decided to see what it could do on the area away from the pits.  Oh my this berking Miata is fast.  Other than one snap oversteer incident when I knew I was pushing it way too hard it was pants tighting.

I had volunteered for the first autocross cone dodging event so spent an hour with pimpm3 taking car E36 M3 and watching the fun runs intended to dry off the track.  Once I got back to the car Lil Stampie and I mounted up the wing and looked it over before going to grid.  Pimpm3 took the first couple of runs and got us a good time.  Dan Shields told me that he'd run it so sent him out.  First run was good, second run it cut out on him on the back part of the course, third run it cut out on him at the last corner.  E36 M3.  We figured it was low on gas so since I need to test drive the Saab 9-5 we jumped in it and  got 5 gallons.  

By now of course Dan was in other cars so we waited our turn as clouds started rowing in.  Dan jumps in right as it starts raining and runs a great run for cold slicks in the rain.  Decide to call it for the day which was correct as the autocross shut down soon after anyways.

The rain pushed the drags to tomorrow so at least the afternoon was chill.  Shot some E36 M3 with hobiercr, norticsaab, BeardedOne, and Tod.

Tomorrow Michael has given me permission to wail the berk out of the Miata in the drags.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/20 7:16 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

something about wailing the berk out of the Miata at the drags

remember to get a couple decent runs in the book before you go full send.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/20 7:25 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I have found for the challenge i just go full send from the beginning, because who knows what's going to happen.  Other events i step up as i go along, because i pressed full send first run at the roadkill drags(being lined up against a Nelson does that to you) and left my halfshafts on the track

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/20 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

How did that work for this car last year lol

10/23/20 8:05 p.m.

Hey now.....

You ain't gotta rub it in....

1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.