1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 93
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/22/21 9:01 a.m.

Yeah, wheel + tire is a big piece of the puzzle.  The competition in class has boost and 15x9/225 with better compound tires.  Maybe 15x10s, not sure.

That said, the car is silly fun as is, might as well wear out the tire setup you've got.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/22/21 9:06 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Almost exactly my plan. Figure the rest of the season to catch up to you and Shawneecreek, or at least next to DFL. On the wheels and tires that are paid for. 

Got a LONG way to go....

4/25/21 2:00 p.m.

The noise was the rear heim of the ppf delete coming apart again. With way more play now, too!

And the batwing mouns loosened up on the studs. 

So, i used a rear sway bar end link from a 1995 suburban to replace the heim joint.  Had to bore the sleeves and narrow one end to make it fit right, but it went in good. Tightened the nuts on the batwing. 

4/25/21 2:05 p.m.

Also, event results from last week posted. I was .3 from next to DFL.  Prodarwin was 4th in class. First run was the fastest, getting progressively slower from there.

Also, i got a message about noise. I didn't think it was all that loud, but apparently it is. So, time to build a new, non leaking, non hitting, muffled exhaust out of my pile of spare exhaust crap. Thinking 2.25 headers back to a 2.5 axleback.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/21 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Damn old people complaining about what should be music to their ears.

4/25/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Its gotten significantly louder since you returned it. I the the glass pack no longer has anything resembling glass packing anymore. 

And the used flexible pipes i used that were used for the headers to y pipe are both leaking from multiple places. 

In other words,  the exhaust i built to get me through A challenge got me through two challenges, a few thousand street miles, and hundreds of autocross runs. 

It don't owe me E36 M3.

Next one i build will use everything i learned building this one.

Loaded up for another event. This one is at the outer limit of how far im willing to go. 

Tomorrow is Danville airport with triad sports car club. Goal again is hands and vision. See if i can be smooth. 

It also looks to be about half the number of entrants than zmax. So, maybe a little more runs! Dunno. Ran with them once with the elky yeara and years ago. 

I was second in class yesterday,  not DFL like normal! Only had one run that wasn't dnf, which was good enough to beat third place whose runs were ALL dnf. But his dnfs were five seconds faster than my best run, also a dnf. Im still kinda proud of not being dfl in class, but not as proud as if id earned it by being legitimately faster.

The course was kinda confusing. Not enough pointer cones i think. Causing many missed gates for many people. When i was working course,  80% of runs missed one entire element due to the sea of cones thing. Not knocking them, just a little room for improvement. 

However, picked up four seconds over my runs. With no spins. Last run was my fastest, and i tried to compress braking zones as well as focus on my hands and vision. 

The rubber mounted ppf delete made the car a little less violent on snap throttle conditions. Muffler, however, got me talked to.

Good event!

Good for you.  Seems like the tow and go worked out. So you were the damn noisy kid on the block at the event.  Should be relatively easy fix.  Keep at it, practice almost always brings improvement.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/3/21 9:35 a.m.

It's been twenty years since I regularly autocrossed, but i used to bitch at people about using every cone in the trailer. I prided myself on setting a fun course using a minimum of cones. It's more fun and easier on the course workers when done right. My best was 17 cones , aside from the start and stop boxes.

5/14/21 5:31 p.m.

goodbye old friends. 

5/14/21 7:43 p.m.

So, plan:

Headers are a 2.5 collector. 

Step 2.5 down to 2.25 down the trans tunnel. 2.25 mergy angrycorvair style to a 2.5 pipe under the diff to a transverse muffler and outlet. 

In theory it will be plenty and good for what the car is. In theory it will be quieter but still sound good, as im using the aftermarket muffler off E36 M3box, one of my neon parts cars. And it sounded ok being a four banger. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/21 10:42 a.m.

I didn't invent that E36 M3, but I'll share what I learned from making a few. ;-)

5/15/21 11:54 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I looked at the pictures for a bit this morning, and forged ahead. 

Its not nearly as good as yours. Or symmetrical. Or even anything like them, really.....

5/15/21 2:21 p.m.

Yeah, a water heater left over from the amc is now my collector....

Its ugly. Looks like a freaking kindergartner made it while doing meth, after being thrown around in a dryer for a while to get good and dizzy. 

But the top of that water heater was THICK steel. Had to hammer form it, badly. And whatever it was coated with laughed at efforts to remove it. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/15/21 6:22 p.m.

"Its ugly. Looks like a freaking kindergartner made it while doing meth, after being thrown around in a dryer for a while to get good and dizzy. "

BWaHaahahhaaaaaaaaaa.......yur killin' me smallz!!!!

5/16/21 4:13 p.m.

behold, the methmerge!

It passed the light test after a few rounds of welding and grinding,  and i didn't feel air around the welds while blowing in it with tge leaf blower. 

Which means it wipp keak worse that what it replaced. 

Still have to build the tailpipe to muffler section. 

5/20/21 5:10 p.m.

done. Suprisingly quiet and leak free!

Looks like you "hammered" out the details pretty well.  Maybe it's the picture, but would some heat shielding help, so near the diff?  I like the shiny bits at the back end.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/21/21 10:47 a.m.

Quieter is nice. Now you can add "listening to the tires" to your autocross experience. The more they squeal the more they are at or over the limit. Nice work.

-Sean

5/21/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

An added benefit for sure! 

However, its far easier to bounce off the rev limiter as the banshee howl I'd grown to depend on as warning is now gone. 

Kinda sad that its not so much of a hooligan and assault on the senses...

Going to take a long drive shortly. See how it really is!

5/21/21 12:51 p.m.

Holy crap! You can hear the radio, and the supposedly loud federal rs-rr road noise!

Its almost civilized. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/21 5:42 p.m.

Did it have a radio when I borrowed it?  Cause I don't remember that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/21/21 5:59 p.m.

I'm an overplanner, but I think I have some stuff around that could help you with exhaust.  For example, I could model/cnc cut a wood form for a smooth collector profile, you could hammer steel around that, tack it together, than toss the wood part out.

Also for bends I made some of these (I think they may have moved on with the Bentra), but if you have access to a 3d printer, they are super handy.  You can stack them in small increments and nest inside your next pipe segment until you get exactly the fit you want, then use it as your cut template on the chop saw.

I made a pretty nice exhaust for the Bentra with it:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-exhaust-fabrication/136560/page1/

5/21/21 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Nope! Not challenge budget...

Prodarwin: god, i wish I could have planned better and done a nicer job, honestly. Theres always the third time!

1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iiqKSw6lgEXiLfvem6WBriTst0jRBToMoJv1dZnzjFqkQQJuDIEHRlrIS8Yyfixt