1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 93
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/21/21 6:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Stampie :

Nope! Not challenge budget...

Prodarwin: god, i wish I could have planned better and done a nicer job, honestly. Theres always the third time!

Next time you are fabbing, shoot me a text, maybe I can help.

That said, I am always impressed with your ability to just jump in and DO something, even knowing it will be far from perfect.  I spend too much time in CAD, Excel, etc.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/27/21 11:49 a.m.

2 things, no way I'd be able to print out mock up sections of pie cuts for exhaust and still build the exhaust, and I think your collector looks great Mike.

Now that you can here the feds better, are they really that loud?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/21 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

In a noisy,  open car i can hear highway noise.  Barely. Over the self destructing diff.

So, maybe?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/21 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

The link again or internal?

5/27/21 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Internal. 

Lots and lots of whine. Dependent on throttle and speed, tells me its gear lash or carrier bearings. Judging by the rust and water i drained out when swapping the broken housing, and the pitting noted on the ring gear, im betting gears. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/21 3:12 p.m.

Your cars are beating you up lately.

5/27/21 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yup. Is what it is though.  This was a $200 torsen from a grm member. Ive gotten my money's worth!

If i had $1k to dump, itd get a 3.63 or an 8.8 swap or something. Instead it'll probably get thicker fluid and run until it breaks.

The duster is aggrevating. 

The neon has an ac system issue, which i think is a bad compressor. 

Red truck needs an alternator, and suspension work to fit 15s safely so it can get the new wheels and tires. Wifes car needs a motor. Black truck and mazda6 are solid-ish.

Been a hell of a run lately, but im blessed to ave friends and the ability to have a good attitude about most all of it. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/27/21 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yup. Is what it is though.  This was a $200 torsen from a grm member. Ive gotten my money's worth!

If i had $1k to dump, itd get a 3.63 or an 8.8 swap or something. Instead it'll probably get thicker fluid and run until it breaks.

The duster is aggrevating. 

The neon has an ac system issue, which i think is a bad compressor. 

Red truck needs an alternator, and suspension work to fit 15s safely so it can get the new wheels and tires. Wifes car needs a motor. Black truck and mazda6 are solid-ish.

Been a hell of a run lately, but im blessed to ave friends and the ability to have a good attitude about most all of it. 

Dude!!!!! and I thought my stable was jacked up ....oh this just in.....if all things go according to plan, I'll be living in the B'Ham Al area by the end of this June. That being said I could be available for a possible 'weekend thrash'....wink   late

5/27/21 8:20 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It's all good man. I appreciate the offer. Most of it is just stuff that's waiting on time and me to have the mental wherewithal to get to it. Some of it's really not that important. At this point in time I'm putting first things first like my family and my career. Other stuffs a bit more important. Well except for the wife's van. Got to get that one done in the next month or two.

6/19/21 2:48 p.m.

Probably fixed the oxygen sensor issue. Think i did. Ac has a line leaking, but at least i found it. And it keeps throwing the belt when the longer ac belt is used.

Its also developed an intermittent no start. Like a bad starter or ground or something. Need to get that fixed.

But, the big news is that ive essentially been given a free track day. Motorsports for the masses was looking for pace car drivers. I volunteered. Turns out i use my car, and get seat time on tbe infield road course at rockingham in hpde style in return. 

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake. Sounds like fun though!

6/20/21 9:16 a.m.

Anyone have tips on how to properly drive a banked oval? Ive never taken laps on one.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/20/21 9:51 a.m.

I did about 15 laps around Michigan Speedway several years ago. I had been road racing for a decade at that point and ASSumed a Miata could run around a high banked oval with a wide open throttle. It couldn't , and I scared myself a little the first time I hit turn 3 at speed and it just pushed up the banking toward the wall. That was on regular street tires and suspension, stock 1.8 engine. You have to drive it like any other track, wide in, get low at the apex and wide out. Your car has extra power,too, so you should get up a good head of steam. I got to an indicated 120 MPH with two of us on board and top down. I had to brake at both ends of the track or eat the wall. Once I got past the initial surprise of the car pushing it was really fun. Enjoy yourself.

Edit: Re-read your post. Are you going to be pacing a race or lapping at max speed?

6/26/21 7:58 a.m.

6/26/21 8:14 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Im pacing the back of the pack of "pay some money and run five lap

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/26/21 8:56 a.m.

remember to look up through the open top to see ahead through the bank

*probably

i.e.  remember "eyes up", and look through the turn.  on a banked oval, it's easy to 'target fixate' on the road right ahead, because it bends up/away around the corner

Ooooh!  Sweet.  Talent and good looks too.  Be safe and have a blast.

6/26/21 9:36 a.m.

6/26/21 10:06 a.m.

This mother berkeleyer is awfully swirly over the pavement damage on the banking at 95 to a hundred mile an hour. I don't think Federal for the right tires for this application, nor do I think a half inch of toe out was a good idea at this point. Having a berkeleying ball though.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/26/21 10:40 a.m.

I doubt it's the tires. The toe out however...........wink

6/26/21 11:25 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I think its a combination. However,  easily solved with proper application of the right foot (lift and not be a moron). 

Watching the hemi Daytona is AWESOME. 

6/26/21 8:10 p.m.

Roughly 120 laps around rockingham today. Plus about 20 on the infield. 

Car did FANTASTIC. Its not a circle track car, and stayed squirrelly throughout the day. But i got more comfortable. Bouncing the rev limiter in fourth about 2/3 down the straits, but not able to shift fifth quick enough to ise it. Diff getting noisier. Running at about 200-220 at speed, but cools at idle. O2 fixed!

Needs ac. I about got heat stroke. But then, the shedding engine heat....

Freaking great day. Had a ball. Its a way better track car than autocross car. The neon will now take that role.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/27/21 12:42 a.m.

Freaking great day. Had a ball. Its a way better track car than autocross car. The neon will now take that role.

I'd suggest CMP or Summit, over VIR or NCM, for a first outing... if/when you manage it.  TNIA or a TrackCross style event would probably be a good first step into that realm.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
6/27/21 7:26 a.m.

Where in NC are you located? WS here

6/27/21 7:54 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Down in albemarle. I get to Winston pretty often. Shame that hills bbq on patterson closed. Was my favorite place to eat up there.

6/27/21 7:57 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Trackcross is where they put sone cones up to keep speeds down on a roadcourse, right? Like autocross elements on a track?

If so, thats what we did on the infield yesterday. 

The lack of power steering makes it ROUGH though. May go back to the bigger steering wheel. 

1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FGoLXMF9mry9eeF5SauVbemPjVce5tpRjRR6nEE5ZnV06tQXSFEIqzB31d4stMwo