1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 93
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/22 4:07 p.m.

Aw man, major bummer. That PPF delete is also what did you in at the 2019 Challenge if I recall. Do you know which one caused the other?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/24/22 4:13 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

My bet is the ppf delete broke, allowing the driveshaft to hammer the trans to death in the shot span of wheelhop

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/22 4:18 p.m.

Makes sense. Something similar happened in my Georgia Tech Wreck Racing days with the 2JZ MG Midget. Panhard bar pulled out from the chassis, solid axle shifted a dozen inches to one side, dragged the driveshaft with it, and cracked open the tailshaft housing. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 5:21 p.m.

somewhere in this thread i questioned the removal of PPF and how much higher the forces reacted into the diff would be.  i think i got pooh-pooh'd.  *shrug*

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 5:25 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I don't remember but I know I have defended my piss poor design more times than I care to admit to. I probably shouldn't have. I'm debating what the future of this thing is at the moment and just how I'm going to get there. Regardless I need better solutions for lots of things

3/24/22 5:28 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

i know i commented much earlier in this thread about pinion support when deleting the PPF, but my google-fu didn't find it.  anyway, i think the batwing failure is a pretty good indication that you need to provide a better force path for the fore-aft loads that the diff sees on launch.

found this on page 65

3/24/22 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

i'm pretty sure it was the batwing failure that led me to sending you my informal free body diagram lecture series LOL.  what would stop you from building something similar to the original PPF, only it attaches to the chassis somewhere near the trans instead of attaching to the trans itself?  the farther forward you react that diff-killing torque, the better.

3/24/22 5:33 p.m.

also, definitely not trying to E36 M3 on you or humblebrag on my big brain.  i love this car.  let's learn from this, and design and build something better!

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 5:35 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

If I'm completely honest I would rather figure out how to do an 8.8 swap and get that put in for the better gear ratio if I'm going to the work to redesign everything. The only hold up there is the axles being a thousand bucks to have made. I'm sure they're cheaper options but I haven't dug deep enough down that hole yet to figure it out.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
3/24/22 8:54 p.m.

That sucks man. Just sucks

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Norma66-Brent :

Yup.

But on the bright side,  it gives me a chance to fix all the things ive said i would do differently if a had it to do over. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/25/22 3:01 a.m.

Doesn't this (sorry man) save you a Neon related decision you were struggling with?

Dusterbd13-michael
3/25/22 5:54 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

More or less. Its an opportunity to refine the car, and ill ise the neon for this season. Im really not sure what the long term plan for the miata is at this point. Too fast for its safety gear, not really a great strret car either. 

So ill sleep on it. 

Chrissmith
Chrissmith New Reader
3/25/22 6:31 a.m.
Dusterbd13-迈克尔 said:

回复 Justjim75 :

或多或少。这是一个改进汽车的机会,也让本季的霓虹灯生病了。我现在真的不确定 miata 的长期计划是什么。它的安全装置太快了,也不是一辆很棒的越野车。 

这么难睡。 

No reason this couldn't be a good, safe car for you if you can drive it responsibly. They are not as safe as a civic or something, but they are not terrible either.凉爽的

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/25/22 6:39 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Justjim75 :

More or less. Its an opportunity to refine the car, and ill ise the neon for this season. Im really not sure what the long term plan for the miata is at this point. Too fast for its safety gear, not really a great strret car either. 

So ill sleep on it. 

I know where you can get a transmission for cheap.....

Dusterbd13-michael
3/25/22 8:23 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Thanks! Depends on how i go. Parker motors in oakboro has a trans with warranty for 125, and a 3500 with warranty for 350. 

I may also get a parts car and do a stockish swap to a turbo six speed miata drivetrain. Honestly don't know what way im going to go. 

Dusterbd13-michael
3/25/22 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Chrissmith :

The safety thing is relative. On track, its too fast for the safety gear it has. If i put in the gear, its no longer a street car. 

I have the amc for crazy and safe track car now. Its a full cage/fire suppression/all the gear car.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/25/22 9:11 a.m.

As my recent experience reminds me, the street is probably more dangerous than the track. 

Just watching out for you, my friend (as you have been for me)

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/25/22 3:17 p.m.

Oh this just sucks man.  

Dusterbd13-michael
3/25/22 3:27 p.m.
SV reX said:

As my recent experience reminds me, the street is probably more dangerous than the track. 

Just watching out for you, my friend (as you have been for me)

Agreed that its more likely on the street. However, the speed should generally be MUCH lower for this car on the street than track. 

But trust me, i get it. Boy do i get it. Thats why i have a ton of steel and parts and an amc starting in the next few weeks. Overkill on safety. 

Wawazat: yup. But, we can rebuild better!

Dusterbd13-michael
5/2/22 7:57 a.m.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/22 8:27 a.m.

Because you told me to.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/2/22 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

So far this one is $750....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/22 8:54 a.m.

And you broke the reenforced plate?  I think you just need to run Westlakes so that you can't get traction.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/2/22 9:02 a.m.

Broke both sides too! 

8.8 is the way. At least seems to be

1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pjEbXYLcOQ45vPEOYklpCxnXAB477fP92R8fqlAHCLiq8rZxyeucsY2O8b4wbm2z