1 2
Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/12/13 9:01 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Ian, I'm here to complicate your day.

LOL. No... but it's definitely an interesting piece.

Oddly enough, while I somewhat dislike building cars, the boat desire is more on the build-project side. After being built, I'd probably run it a few times for sorting purposes and then sell it.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/13 9:18 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

So that's what happened to the KC Dawn Patrol. When I was younger they used to bring their Nieuport replicas to the airshow in my town (Columbia, MO). They may still, I just haven't gone to the airshow in five years or so.

And IIRC, the original Nieuports could be built for $5-10k. Very much a GRM mentality applied to planes.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
9/13/13 8:22 p.m.

two of my back burner projects.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/13/13 9:03 p.m.
psteav wrote: And IIRC, the original Nieuports could be built for $5-10k. Very much a GRM mentality applied to planes.

It would be fabulous, but that's beyond my means......not because of the build cost, but the cost of the engine and the maintenance.

2K4Kcsq wrote:

It's the mini-cooper of ZAVs!

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
9/14/13 7:21 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: I'd love to build one of the WWI kits from Aerodrome Aeroplanes.... http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/ ...but that is beyond my budget. After the datsun replica is done, my next project will probably be scratch-building an acoustic guitar. (The eco-hippie tree-hugger in me says that I should try using locally removed melaleuca wood. It's an invasive pest, and is closely related to tea trees, so it should have some pretty grain.)

JoeyM, if you want inspiration for a Nieuport build, check out Circa reproductions. They sell plans, which make it a lot cheaper than a kit. And you can use a VW engine in those, reducing the cost further. People are building those for about 5K-10k with the engine.

If you want further inspiration, get this book. It's a really funny read about a guy that actually build a Nieuport from the plans linked before. Great read.

Or, if you have enough holes in which to toss money in your life, just ignore this post

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lA5raGDn1ccMcT49vV3m23uuTxx9bsUy5l4ckO5DjR0na8o514RDrHPjvtK8OBw0