Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/19 6:17 a.m.

In reply to brad131a4 :

I’m pretty far from Seattle. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/18/19 3:36 p.m.

I've been thinking about new ratchets for a while. I'm using the origional or free replacement Craftsman ones that I got when I was 18. They work, mostly, but have something like 12 teeth on the ratchet and they're getting worn in a not good way. I looked. Thought about some of the premium American made stuff. Thought about HF as their mid range stuff is better than my old Craftsman stuff. Ended up wandering around the internet and found Wera which is a mid level German brand with tools made all over eastern Europe. Ratchets have 72-ish teeth. Pretty highly rated and available through Amazon or some specialty online tool sellers. What drew me in though were their sockets. 

Bit of a terrible photo, but you can the knurling on the base, easy to read numbers, and my favorite part, colors. You see, I'm getting old. In most parts of the Grosh I can't read the markings on my Craftsman sockets and I have to carry them over to the light. Wouldn't be a problem if I kept things organized, but I don't, not when I'm working. I tend to scatter things on the floor and then a 13 looks like a 15 from 5 feet away. And it's not. So where is the 13? And I've lost 10 minutes. I've had the Wera stuff for a couple of weeks and I'm in love with it. So much that I dug thorough my vinyl collection, ordered the colors I was missing, and made my Craftsman stuff match, because yes, I still use the Craftsman stuff. Yellow is 10mm, black is 12, white 15, most of them I've already got memorized and it's already made my life easier. It's also easier to find sockets with a splash of color on a concrete floor. 

All of my 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets from 7mm-19mm are coded as well as my box end wrenches. Should have done it years ago. I like the Wera ratchets too. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/18/19 3:39 p.m.

Now paint all the hardware to match!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/19 3:43 p.m.

You have the sockets on the pegs upside down. :)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/18/19 3:50 p.m.
codrus said:

Yup! I did it at first too, so dont feel bad.

Also, add more lights.  T8 4 foot led conversions. All of them. Changed my shop productivity immensely. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/18/19 3:51 p.m.

Thats a pretty awesome idea and implementation

mazdeuce - Seth
9/18/19 4:33 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
codrus said:

Also, add more lights.  T8 4 foot led conversions. All of them. Changed my shop productivity immensely. 

I don't like them on the pegs the other way. I hang them on the wall and I don't like how they hang when they are the other way. I know it's "wrong" but if I like it the wrong way, is it really wrong? 

I know I need more lights. I need to paint the floor. I need to finish the drywall in the Grosh. For now, colored sockets it is!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/18/19 4:34 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Now paint all the hardware to match!

I considered tracking down paint markers to do that. laugh

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/18/19 5:33 p.m.

ive never tried hanging them, so, you win there! mine are in a drawer in my war chest. for no good reason whatsoever, i just dont like my handtools on pegboard. now, the cleat wall for hardware, cable storage, etc is a different story! 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/19 6:40 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I hang them on the wall and I don't like how they hang when they are the other way.

Ah, OK.  I haven't tried that, carry on. :)

(BTW, in case other people are wondering about it, the bases of the pegs are sized to fit inside the socket that matches the number on the top of the peg.  That way if you put a socket on a peg that's too small it doesn't sit flat, and on one that's too large it wobbles around.  Helps you get them back where they belong).

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/19 9:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
codrus said:

this! led ones are soooo cheap they're almost disposible and can start sticking em anywhere. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ New Reader
9/19/19 12:30 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Nice looking sockets, if I didn’t have more than enough already I could be seriously tempted. I like the colours too, as we all get older the engraving gets hard to read, without putting on glasses in my case. I colour coded all my sockets, allen  wrenches and sockets a couple of years ago but used the electronics colour code I had drummed into my head 50 years ago - black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue,  purple, grey and white for 0 to 9 and even my decaing eyesight can spot the difference between 7 and 17

FWIW  bad boys robbed our young girls but violet gave willingly was the politer of the mnemonics we used.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/19 7:15 a.m.

In reply to RichardNZ :

+1 for can't read the socket markings without glasses anymore.

I just picked up a 3 pack of bifocal safety glasses for work in the garage.  That's been a revelation.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/19/19 7:41 a.m.

Ermagawd.  I am buying different colored electrical tape TODAY.

That is brilliant!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/19/19 9:27 a.m.

Plant needed water anyway. Trying to be positive and use the four inches of water in my living room for something good. Might be some house projects on the list. 

TVR Scott
9/19/19 9:29 a.m.

Oh no!

So when I heard this morning about flooding in TX, I guess I know who got affected.  Crushes me to see that.

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/19/19 9:32 a.m.

Oh crap. Get some air movers and a dehumidifier in the asap after the water leaves....

mazdeuce - Seth
9/19/19 9:38 a.m.

We'll be fine. As soon as it goes down I'll pull the floor, get the water out, and then start the fans and dehumidifiers. The floor was put in for just this reason and it comes out in 15 minutes. I'll have the baseboard off by this afternoon and then I need to figure out the drywall situation. We'll sort it out. Just another soggy bump in the road of life. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/19/19 10:10 a.m.

There is a bizarre helpless inevitability about rising flood waters. We're 100% safe, but there just isn't anything you can do against a solid sheet of water that stretches from my front porch, down the driveway, across the road, and to my neighbors porch. 

Mrs. Deuce is stuck at work. Kid#2 is stuck at a shopping center. He got almost to school, roads started flooding, got someplace safe (he did good) and then the school decided to cancel for the day. This was about 5 inches of water in my yard ago. Have to figure out how to get him eventually. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/19/19 1:11 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

There is a bizarre helpless inevitability about rising flood waters. We're 100% safe, but there just isn't anything you can do against a solid sheet of water that stretches from my front porch, down the driveway, across the road, and to my neighbors porch. 

Mrs. Deuce is stuck at work. Kid#2 is stuck at a shopping center. He got almost to school, roads started flooding, got someplace safe (he did good) and then the school decided to cancel for the day. This was about 5 inches of water in my yard ago. Have to figure out how to get him eventually. 

I miss Houston a lot. But having been stranded at a shopping center for 2 hours once in downtown when the streets flooded multiple feet, I know that feeling and never want to deal with it again. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/19/19 1:22 p.m.

Am I happy with my plastic floor every day? I am not. Am I happy with it today? Abso-berking-lutely. 

ronniejay
ronniejay New Reader
9/19/19 2:18 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Dry kitchen, I hope.

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/19/19 2:32 p.m.

In reply to ronniejay :

Good news is the Ikea cabinets are on 4" legs rather than a traditonal toe kick.... But I hope its dry.... IIRC there are a couple "steps" around the house.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/19 2:41 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Oh no!

So when I heard this morning about flooding in TX, I guess I know who got affected.  Crushes me to see that.

i just want to know if all of the telephone lines are down.

too soon?

TVR Scott
9/19/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

That does it.  You're grounded from the classic rock station for a week.

1 ... 103 104 105 106 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ur3HkJFAHsl4wXehHHS8P6Wh1IdMR9TO9VJAWJMkojgskSaN6vZZlZQUelrz6QK6