1 ... 4 5 6 7
JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
4/10/23 3:41 p.m.

It sounds like from that Moss ad that they are concerned about the cam hitting the block.  In any case, it looks like you saved it.

I had a very reputable machine shop install the distributor drive in my first TR6 90 degrees out so that it pointed the vacuum retard unit at the block.  Fortunately that was easy to fix, but it makes you wonder about the rest of the build.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/11/23 7:02 p.m.

And for the first time since 1973 the car goes down the road....

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/11/23 8:05 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

What happens with BMC engines is the intake valve hits the top of the block. You have to grind away a little of the bore above the highest point of ring travel, the combustion chamber is wider than the bore...Happens with all 3 sizes of BMC too.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/23 8:16 p.m.

The engine and gearbox sounds are awesome. Just like my dad's 1968 BJ8 which I haven't heard running since around 1992.. but he swears it'll be running and driven again. "Next year". 

This continues to be a fun project to follow and live vicariously through someone with talent. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/11/23 8:25 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

The engine and gearbox sounds are awesome. Just like my dad's 1968 BJ8 which I haven't heard running since around 1992.. but he swears it'll be running and driven again. "Next year". 

This continues to be a fun project to follow and live vicariously through someone with talent. 

More obstinate than talented, but thank you for following the journey.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
4/11/23 8:34 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Congrats on the first drive.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/23 8:37 p.m.

Something I've noticed about our Healey is that after getting it back on the road, it doesn't seem to have nearly the same 1st gear whine anymore. I've always just assumed it's whatever fluid I put in it but it used to be loud like that one and now it's just not.

Could be the side exit exhaust covering it up too I suppose.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/12/23 5:48 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

The sound in the video above was a dead ringer for dad's. Brought back memories. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/9/23 4:01 p.m.

Moving on towards paint. Have to get the car stripped to bare metal. It seems to have been skimmed in filler.

Why not to put filler over bare metal

A bunch of time later

More to come.

Pete

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
5/9/23 11:16 p.m.

Yes. Epoxy prime then filler. Porsche recommended that for repairs back in the 90's. 

The rust under the "bondo" has many reasons. Lacquer primer left unpainted in high humidity is not good. Water just creeps through and "bondo" drinks water up. That is the one that came to mind when I saw it.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/25/23 8:33 a.m.

Patches is ready to leave for the body shop where he will get a new coat of filler and a coat of dark gray paint before returning for final assembly.

The repairs found under the filler are circa 1973 or earlier. While they are not the way I would have done the repairs, I will call it "period correct" and move on. They are rust free to this day so no reason to re-do them.

For the most part the panel gaps and alignment are good. 

No idea how long the car will be in "Paint Jail". While patches is at the beauty parlor, the Hot Rod will return. While the Red Rod does technically meets the project requirement of "Red and running" it does need a few things sorted before it can drive into the sunset as a cruiser.

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/25/23 10:15 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Did you use just a cup brush for the stripping? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/25/23 11:52 a.m.

In reply to DocRob :

The bulk of it was aircraft stripper and a paint scraper plus a lot of elbow grease. The paint stripper seems to remove one layer of whatever per application. The whole car was skimmed in a coat of filler and that took most of the time.

The wire cup was a clean-up tool and to do edges and what not.

If dust is not an issue, there are paint stripping disc that will make pretty quick work of this stuff. I did not want to coat every single surface in the shop with an inch of dust, so went with the chemical approach.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/31/23 10:52 a.m.

Its BAAAAaaaaackkkk!

You just gotta love time-planning when it comes to classic cars. This is only a month or so behind what was forecast by the paint shop, and I am pretty much used to the whole thing, so no big deal. Those that try to keep to a schedule would go mad.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
7/31/23 1:17 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Looks like they did a good job though. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/31/23 9:17 p.m.

I love the colors. Real glad I won't have to clean the pad dust off them thoughfrown

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/31/23 11:06 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I love the colors. Real glad I won't have to clean the pad dust off them thoughfrown

Neither will I. 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/1/23 6:36 a.m.

I gave up on a target date as I have terrible aim and keep missing them, so I just happily keep plugging away at it.

Car looks great!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/8/23 6:11 p.m.

Wow...forgot that this had not been updated in some time. Lots of bits have been added to the car.  LOTS of cuss words have been uttered along the way,

If all goes well, this goes home in November and an MGB rolls in for a shell rustoraton.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/14/23 8:24 p.m.

Last panel on the car.

If all goes well, it drives home before the end of the month and the next patient rolls in.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/23 9:13 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

She's a beaut, Clark.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/14/23 9:19 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Woulda been better if the L33 on the stand were between the front fenders! Alas, not to be in this instance, I tried.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
10/17/23 11:50 p.m.

Now that it is done, do you think it was worth all the effort you put into it?  I think it was. Those cars are very good lookers. I still drive past one that is sitting outside in a bashed up condition and think "bummer, that should be restored"

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/23/23 10:18 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

She is soooooo close to going home! Goes for a safety inspection tomorrow and if all goes well will have plates by the end of the day. The owner can then take it for a proper shakedown cruise and see what does and does not fall off.

Maybe till the end of the month to button up a few detail items.

Worth it? I am in it for the challenge of resurrecting old cars and this one was a challenge. Much like an artist, once the painting is done, I don't want it hanging on my wall.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/23/23 10:36 p.m.

It's a beauty!  I don't have any desire to own one of these cars particularly, but I loved watching your work along the way.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wWhvUMLhET6rztn6Z59p6tU4rgL8aQNkNjnwvU9oYdkS8zam0xHCSAuP2jk2rwQR