1 2 3 4 5 6
metty
metty New Reader
12/28/20 6:08 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I worked with an electrical engineer and he said that was correct cause if the plug is a little bit out of the receptacle and a thin piece of steel like a 6" machinist type rule falls on it it won't short out.  

Makes sense I guess.  

Yep, what he said 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/28/20 7:13 p.m.

Upside down to me is a Ground Fault plug.

metty
metty New Reader
12/30/20 10:43 a.m.

Working on moving my stuff in today. My wife got pissed when I dragged home a project less than 24 hours after finishing...

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
12/30/20 10:53 a.m.

Super nice. If I ever build a detached shop, I'm building it twice bigger than I need to keep my wife from cluttering it. Her favorite thing to do is fill an empty space or countertop with junk. Her favorite saying is "we can just put that in the garage."  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/31/20 8:00 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I worked with an electrical engineer and he said that was correct cause if the plug is a little bit out of the receptacle and a thin piece of steel like a 6" machinist type rule falls on it it won't short out.  

Makes sense I guess.  

There is no requirement or rule about it (and I am an electrical engineer. wink)   It's really a personal preference, the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
12/31/20 10:33 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
Datsun310Guy said:

Makes sense I guess.  

There is no requirement or rule about it (and I am an electrical engineer. wink)   It's really a personal preference, the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim.

And if it ever does happen, it should pop the breaker in a split second, if it's wired correctly. My OCD gets upset when the little face in the power outlet is upside down

badhabit_wb
badhabit_wb New Reader
12/31/20 3:07 p.m.

Shop looks great! Saves a ton when you can do most of the work yourself.

metty
metty New Reader
1/3/21 12:04 p.m.

Rudimentary office setup until I have time to do the flooring up here in the loft and build a nicer desk 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/3/21 8:10 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

Outside compressor is nice, much quieter

except for the neighbors,  

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/3/21 9:37 p.m.

Yeah.  Neighbours can be noisy too. wink

I built a fully-insulated 5.5x5.5' separate shed for my compressor.

metty
metty New Reader
1/4/21 6:47 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

its about the same volume level as a air conditioning unit, its an old Quincy duplex unit that runs the pumps at 700rpm so its very quiet. Having it outside is more of a space thing than noise

metty
metty New Reader
1/5/21 3:58 p.m.

Making small steps now that I'm back at work this week. 

mounted my cordless tool rack/charging station

metty
metty New Reader
1/5/21 4:21 p.m.

Also got my air hose reel mounted and plumbed 

also got this cool rack from the guy I bought my e30 from last week. It didn't come with any of the tools but there was a spot for all of my pullers and bearing splitters 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/21 5:52 p.m.

In reply to metty :

That is a very neat rack. Those are the type of tools that just don't fit well in a toolbox, so it makes a lot of sense. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/6/21 8:41 a.m.

Great looking shop. Surprised it took a whole day to get a project in there cool 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/6/21 8:55 a.m.

Oh wow... That OTC rack brings back memories.  I'm pretty those were mainly Point Of Sale displays. There was one hanging in the parts house I worked at.  I think I bought the slide puller I have off it. 

metty
metty New Reader
1/6/21 9:51 a.m.

The nice thing about having my office out here is that between calls and emails I can do a quick 15 minute project (previously this time would have been squandered on YouTube...)

some of the other cool racks I got from the e30 seller 

I really done need all these, if anyone wants to swing by and grab one you are welcome to it. I'm north of Charlotte NC on lake Norman 

dougie
dougie HalfDork
1/6/21 10:03 p.m.

Metty - Nice build, well done. I completed my shop a few years back and have loved it ever since.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27357414@N02/albums/72157662148350842

metty
metty New Reader
1/7/21 9:03 a.m.
dougie said:

Metty - Nice build, well done. I completed my shop a few years back and have loved it ever since.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27357414@N02/albums/72157662148350842

wow....that is fantastic! definitely upstages my build!

metty
metty New Reader
1/8/21 4:21 p.m.

critical upgrade engage

metty
metty New Reader
1/18/21 7:02 p.m.

Got the laminate put in up in the loft this weekend as well as building a little doghouse cover for the water heater. It's coming together! 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
1/18/21 7:30 p.m.

Shower in the shop is a game changer

metty
metty New Reader
1/19/21 5:43 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

Shower in the shop is a game changer

Indeed 

if you recall a couple of pages ago, I let my 13 year old put in all the electrical boxes. That turned out to be a mistake as he set pretty much all of then too deep and I didn't notice till after they had finished the drywall. I looked at buying some spacers but I needed about 50 and that was adding up...

3d printer saves the day again!

plus an old chub for good measure 

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) HalfDork
1/19/21 10:27 p.m.
metty said:

I really done need all these, if anyone wants to swing by and grab one you are welcome to it. I'm north of Charlotte NC on lake Norman 

We'll be visiting my mother in law in Charlotte in mid-February.  I've meant for years to rent a boat for a day on Lake Norman, just kind of cruise around with the kids. Do you think that would be worthwhile in February, or will it be too cold?

metty
metty New Reader
1/20/21 7:20 a.m.

In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) :

It really depends, sometimes we get 60* days here in february and it would be a nice day to get on the lake. The nice thing is in the winter if you do go out there is very little chop because no one else is out there... I also see a fair number of runabouts and pontoons with vinyl enclosures for winter cruising, maybe you could rent one of those?

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
knS4PDzpY5SkSyAvNx2NzoBG8c7pWncDUEPUPKr6Ga7oZTnG4RQMMRLt8IZshwTF