1 ... 3 4 5 6
twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/21 10:09 a.m.
metty said:

In reply to twentyover :

Its actually not a Barra, its the precursor to the Barra. Kind of like a Mod motor to a Coyote i guess

So I guess I'm even more right, since it's NOT a Barra?

:)

Still odd to see an Aussie ford six in the US

metty
metty Reader
2/11/21 12:17 p.m.
twentyover said:
metty said:

In reply to twentyover :

Its actually not a Barra, its the precursor to the Barra. Kind of like a Mod motor to a Coyote i guess

So I guess I'm even more right, since it's NOT a Barra?

:)

Still odd to see an Aussie ford six in the US

oh its odd no doubt.

it came to the states when new as a mail carrier but it must have been a lemon because it popped a head gasket within 1000 miles and just sat for years. the motor got rebuilt at some point then my buddy picked it up. 

its a very ugly car, it looks very similar to a 1990 tarus and its a 6cyl auto so not even a cool spec'd car

Stnadols
Stnadols New Reader
2/11/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to metty :

Thanks for all the info, I'll be sure to give those guys a ring!  Great work on everything 

metty
metty Reader
2/13/21 8:29 a.m.

Things got spicy last night as I cut a hole in a perfectly good wall...

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
2/13/21 8:57 a.m.

Is there a header hiding behind that sheetrock?

metty
metty Reader
2/13/21 11:17 a.m.

I did build one after that last photo . doubled up 2x10s. I snuck a jack stud in behind the sheet rock on the far end  mostly buttoned up now, at some point I'll pretty up the drywall 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/13/21 12:53 p.m.

Watch that last step, it's a doozie 

metty
metty Reader
2/13/21 4:00 p.m.
chandler said:

Watch that last step, it's a doozie 

Lol tough crowd. You guys are getting live updates I wasn't done with the stairs yet. Terribly rainy here today but my son and I got it knocked out. Nice to be able to work in the new heated shop on a day like today 

railing will go in on Monday 

Stnadols
Stnadols New Reader
2/14/21 10:05 p.m.

Sorry for all the questions, I can't pm you yet due to being new but did you have a set of plans for this?  Really have to love the price of lumber when we have some free time :)

metty
metty Reader
2/15/21 6:40 a.m.
Stnadols said:

Sorry for all the questions, I can't pm you yet due to being new but did you have a set of plans for this?  Really have to love the price of lumber when we have some free time :)

Nope, there were no plans save the hundred napkin sketches my wife and I did over beers trying to decide how we wanted to lay it out. My dad is a builder in Chapel Hill and he put together the list of lumber for me and had the local branch of his supplier here in Charlotte drop it at my house. They also came and picked up the leftovers and credited me for them. 

our municipality didn't require me to submit plans. I had to tell them what I was doing and where it would sit on the property but other than that nothing was required in the planning stage. 

happy to answer any and all questions. I had a million questions thru the project and many people were generous enough to answer them for me

metty
metty Reader
2/17/21 4:12 p.m.

Driveway got formed up just before all the rain this week but it cleared off today so they could pour

i had them add that trench drain as well as duct the downspout from the house gutter under the driveway 

All done! They said it would take a few days to cure because it's cold out 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/21 5:28 p.m.

Some of those pictures make that look like a super steep approach.  Others it looks totally mild.  Very wierd what camera FOV can do.  Good call on the trench.  Looks like you have sufficent falloff on the side to run the underground so that should keep a puddle from forming nicely.

metty
metty Reader
2/18/21 10:49 a.m.
nocones said:

Some of those pictures make that look like a super steep approach.  Others it looks totally mild.  Very wierd what camera FOV can do.  Good call on the trench.  Looks like you have sufficent falloff on the side to run the underground so that should keep a puddle from forming nicely.

it is not nearly as steep as the pictures make it look. im sure if i try to drive something in thats totally on its guts the air dam will scrape, but most normal cars should be fine.

its actually raining pretty hard here today so we are getting a good shakedown test for water drainage. So far so good! No puddle on the driveway and lots of water running down the hill off the side of the shop

metty
metty Reader
2/19/21 4:42 p.m.

Dealing with a headache on the driveway. I got the invoice yesterday and it was $3k. I was originally quoted $850; granted, it's maybe 20% longer than originally planned because we moved the shop back a bit but I don't see where we got that big of a price hike from. Hopefully I can work out something fair with him

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/19/21 6:17 p.m.

Thumbs down for that bill! Ugh. When you say you moved the garage back a bit: do you mean like five feet? Or like from the other side of the house and 25 yards? 

metty
metty Reader
2/19/21 8:04 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

Thumbs down for that bill! Ugh. When you say you moved the garage back a bit: do you mean like five feet? Or like from the other side of the house and 25 yards? 

backwards like 5', not a major change. I did some napkin math and I think he grossly underestimated it when he said $850. It was going to be minimum 7 yards of concrete before we moved the shop back and even back in September it was over $100/yd here for concrete 

metty
metty Reader
2/25/21 8:44 a.m.

So still no resolution with the concrete guy, he got back to me and said "as of January 2021, we have a $2k minimum per job" which I guess to him means add $2k to the bill because that's what the invoice shows (work completed, $981 + $2k "minimum" charge). I emailed him back and told him I'm happy to pay for the work he did, but I'm not paying that $2k because I asked him to do the driveway when he did the slab and he said he would "come back in a few weeks to finish". That was October last year...

on a more positive note, I've made progress on the greenhouse for my wife. She grabbed a bunch of old windows off CL and I've kind of worked around those for the design. I suck at laying block, it's nowhere near level

side note, one of our chickens laid this beast the other day. The one on the right is a normal sized egg surprise

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
2/25/21 11:45 a.m.

Ouch.

The greenhouse looks great. 

metty
metty Reader
2/25/21 5:49 p.m.

Got the roof sheathing on and the lap siding on the door side. Siding is recycled from the LP smartside soffit that I ripped down for the garage. Reduce-reuse-recycle! 

metty
metty Reader
2/27/21 1:48 p.m.

Greenhouse addition is all wrapped up!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/27/21 1:55 p.m.

Snow, branches etc. off the roof won't take out the windows?

metty
metty Reader
2/27/21 2:54 p.m.
914Driver said:

Snow, branches etc. off the roof won't take out the windows?

Snow? What's that? This is NC!

in all seriousness I don't know, I guess we will see. The whole front wall/window frame is screwed together and if I have to take it apart to redo because a window gets broken then so be it. Total spend for this was around $300, most of it was leftover from the garage materials 

metty
metty Reader
3/10/21 6:58 a.m.

got some additional work done this weekend, dumped a load of mulch and put the railing up on the back stairs

metty
metty Reader
3/21/21 8:28 p.m.

Snagged some cabinets from someone's kitchen remodel and gave them a quick spray with Behr cabinet enamel. Glad to have this section of the garage buttoned up

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/20/24 8:59 a.m.

Since a couple canoes brought this back up did you complete it? Is it awesome?

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XBU8puN3feSBIo96gIZ2N4K6suPQvA49SNs4OAYH5xoAukoGmlMWuagtyTUvO1nz