1 2 3 4
aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/4/14 4:00 p.m.

All engine torque and poor set up, we know what to do to improve it, some simple adjustments and one addition

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/4/14 4:10 p.m.

I know 4 bar links are popular with drag racing, but you should look into a 3 bar link. I first read about it in a Racecar Engineering a long time ago, and then found some reference of it on corner carvers (just lurking) as well as a guy who has a website (I have the link at work).

Anyway, with proper set up, it will geometrically reduce or eliminate the torque wedge that the engine makes.

I'll try to remember to link it tomorrow. But it seems as if it would be a great solution to your launch issues. And work wonders on the autocross.

IIRC, the link has a references to this guy drag racing with an open diff, and getting great traction.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
11/4/14 4:18 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: All engine torque and poor set up, we know what to do to improve it, some simple adjustments and one addition

Ok, so now I have to ask, what does one do to counteract the torque that's trying to flip the car over. Or is there someplace I can read about this sort of stuff?

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/4/14 6:34 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: All engine torque and poor set up, we know what to do to improve it, some simple adjustments and one addition

Do tell, cause I am not fully convinced that it was all Panhard bar. I am looking for a broken spring, dead shock, or heavy dead hooker in the rear right corner of the trunk causing sever disruption of the corner weights. It happens.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/4/14 10:29 p.m.

Aussie, I'm kind of with NOHOME on this one.

The car leans to the right when sitting still and not running. As in, the rear bumper is about 2" out of level. That's not torque or the panhard bar.

Granted, it's greatly exaggerated when you punch it. THAT'S torque and the panhard.

But something is off on the static position as well.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
11/5/14 2:27 a.m.

Can try the normal cheat and put an airbag in the right rear.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/5/14 6:45 a.m.

Here's a 12 year old discussion about it on Corner Carvers. There was a link to a guy's site with a spreadsheet for caclucations, but time passes.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2474

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/5/14 11:26 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

It is a 3 link

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/5/14 11:55 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Ah, I see that now. The torque wedge solution is to move it to the right side of the axle- the geometry uses the axle ratio, the distance from the center line, the height from the center line, the lenght and the angle up the upper arm. As well as the lower links, angles, lengths, etc.

Seeing that it's highly fabriated now- it looks to be a pain to move. But something to think about...

Most of the links are no longer there- the most recent post in thread was 5 or so years ago.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/5/14 12:19 p.m.

Took a little more looking, but here's the site with a simple calculation http://www.shopeshop.org/tim.19.htm

I tried to make a spreadsheet based on the math of the Racecar Engineering article, but I never checked to see if it worked or not. I wish I could find my copy of that article...

(finding a very old post of mine at alfabb- this is the aticle- "The Design & Tuning of Asymmetrical Racecars, Part 4: Asymmetries in Beam Axle Suspensions"- V9N6- Racecar Engineering)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/5/14 2:11 p.m.

Remember if you read this through at no time did I state this was all Panhard related.

1 Panhard adjustment.

2 Corner weight adjustment, 200lb off front right to left rear, which also explains the high left rear

Test

3 Add adjustable rear sway bar

Test

From there I will see where we are.

Until the baseline is straight, every change is not able to show improvement or otherwise

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/5/14 2:13 p.m.

Watch it run in $2010, (The very 1st post has link) the car chassis is sound IMHO, but testing will show its true ability

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/5/14 2:38 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Remember if you read this through at no time did I state this was all Panhard related. 1 Panhard adjustment. 2 Corner weight adjustment, 200lb off front right to left rear, which also explains the high left rear Test 3 Add adjustable rear sway bar Test From there I will see where we are. Until the baseline is straight, every change is not able to show improvement or otherwise

If you are answering my posts, neither am I. Just pointing out that there are some ideas that the third upper link can be used to couter act the engine torque- which should ballance the loads to each wheel as well as change the squat.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/6/14 3:58 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Do tell, cause I am not fully convinced that it was all Panhard bar. I am looking for a broken spring, dead shock, or heavy dead hooker in the rear right corner of the trunk causing sever disruption of the corner weights. It happens.
aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/7/14 2:56 p.m.

Getting the MGB around, we are installing a few parts that we didn't get fully sorted; including the correct engine mounts, engine bay cleaning and pinstriping, etc..

photo IMG_17424514847459_zps6e61caeb.jpeg

The car is headed to PRI show in Indianapolis this week to be on the GRM stand, exciting stuff.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/14 2:38 p.m.

Cool!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/8/14 9:24 p.m.

Pin striping continues

photo IMG_59556209148508_zpsff1bb74b.jpeg

photo IMG_59564835302932_zpse82e2081.jpeg

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/9/14 10:03 p.m.

The trek to deliver the MGB

photo 20141209_135814_zps2acc99ff.jpg

to the PRI show

photo 20141209_135751_zps90f51741.jpg

photo 20141209_135800_zpsbb025723.jpg

and done

photo 20141209_181742_zps8071dec1.jpg

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/14 9:23 a.m.

Tell me they let you drive it into the hall!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/10/14 12:01 p.m.

Sampson's 1st job?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/10/14 7:56 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Tell me they let you drive it into the hall!

Our humble little MGB is parked 10 feet from an Indy Car, life is good

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/14/14 11:00 a.m.

PRI pics

photo IMG_70101160585726_zps56bfc088.jpeg

photo IMG_65886972468089_zpsd3f48dc9.jpeg

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/13/15 10:05 a.m.

The engine is out, we are porting the intake and installing a fogger system for the Nitrous.

Hoping to get some time at Norwalk and Muncie to sort the suspension and to learn the car before $2015

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/13/15 10:29 a.m.

Milan Dragway has test and tune nights pretty regularly. You're about two hours away.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/13/15 10:13 p.m.

if its at muncie this summer i may see it there. i wont be racing this year but i tend to go down a few times a summer.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4tebKeOXT4M6qvr9to4CkJ1BetqPrJpFYg3EEF1hr8RB56JfBDzaqXQPo1U32EfN