1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/30/21 3:35 p.m.

And we are off once again. While the shop workforce is down to three Petes from the four needed to complete the F2 truck, I think we go this.

The Victim is a 1950 Morris Minor. I hesitate to say it is in good condition, but it is not terrible either. Since we are going to gut the entire underside, a lot of the bad stuff will drop out the bottom in a literal sense.

The donor has already come and gone from Dahmer Motorsports after leaving behind the drivetrain and front suspension.

Somehow the two items in this picture are going to coincide in 3D space to form a single unit. Pretty sure of that. Kinda.

Even the seats fit so we could sit in them and make the VVrrrroooommmm noises.

Timeline is Sept of this year to drive it out of the shop. 

Pete

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/21 5:41 p.m.

Cool!

So that's what, a d16y7, or what? 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/30/21 5:49 p.m.

Oh yes. Pkease dump all the details of doing a rear mounted fwd engine. Always wanted to try...

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
5/30/21 10:31 p.m.

Cool project! Look forward to seeing it come together 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/21 11:06 p.m.

I can't identify the guts donor at all... But I'm totally on board with pretty much any flavor of Morris Minor.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/31/21 7:11 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

1999 Honda Civic. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
5/31/21 9:25 a.m.

You've done a giant horizontal cut with the Molvo.  That may take a vertical cut through the length of the car and a 3" wide strip of steel.

Mostly joking.  This will be fun to watch.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
5/31/21 10:08 a.m.

Will the result be like if Morris built a Renault R5 a few years early?

Because that would be awesome.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
5/31/21 10:42 a.m.

Just thinking, the rear deck lid could be mounted like a Fiat 600 Abarth.  To complement the hips, flares over the rear tires. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/31/21 11:15 a.m.

Are you going manual or auto for the trans?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/31/21 11:28 a.m.

Going 5 speed cause that is what was requested. The fender bulges will be kept to a minimum in that the axles will be shortened to get as far inboard as possible. 

The front is going to get the same 1999 suspension as the rear. The Morris having the rack behind the front axle same as the Civic should help. Hopefully a set of rear brake calipers from something can be found that will bolt in place of the front Honda calipers so that parking brakes can be done relatively easy.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/21 3:29 p.m.

This is gonna be good! Please tell us this is a Challenge car we can hope to see this fall?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/31/21 5:11 p.m.

Lots and lots of photos please!!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/31/21 5:17 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Nope. Got the challenge itch out of my blood with the 302 Volvo. Love building but the budget discipline is not for me.

As to pics? C'mon; you guys know me by  now! 

egoman
egoman Reader
5/31/21 6:38 p.m.

This is effen fantastic. Details................................ Lots of details.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/21 11:16 a.m.

Of course I'll be watching.  Looks like good clean fun to me!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/1/21 1:18 p.m.

Nice!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/21 2:37 p.m.

Following of course. cool

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/21 4:08 p.m.

Zoinks.  Such rediculousness going on around here these days!  

I never realized how bad I wanted a bubble English car until recently.  Some great builds out there of these type cars.

I'm really liking the look of the Retropower Mx5 Minor.  This has potential to be better because Mid Engined.  

Another great one is the Beardmore Brothers Morris.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/1/21 5:25 p.m.

This COULD be budgeted at challenge price since the shell and the donor were very low budget items. Where it would fall apart is that the parts cannon is going to get fully loaded for all new brakes and suspension components.  A lot of that stuff would have to re recycled or scrounged in order to meet challenge budget.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/21 5:33 p.m.

There's something about Minors that seems to attract really wacky swaps.

This counts.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/1/21 6:30 p.m.

"Going 5 speed cause that is what was requested."  So am I to presume this a 'customer' project to be possibly executed at 'challenge' numbers? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/1/21 7:10 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Correct.

Now that I have retired from the mainstream workforce, my new vocation would be "Enabler". I get to do crazy stuff with car parts and not have to spend my own $$$.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/1/21 8:08 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Correct.

Now that I have retired from the mainstream workforce, my new vocation would be "Enabler". I get to do crazy stuff with car parts and not have to spend my own $$$.

Good on you and obviously your skills are sought after to enable to carry on this madness ...major scoreboard!!!!.....will the 'Molvo' be seen in a neighborhood near 'you' this summer? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/1/21 8:42 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Not much car activity in Southern Ontario at the moment due to the Covid thing. The Molvo is on the road and used by Mrs NOHOME and myself for the odd road-trip/escape out of the hood. Sarnia and Port Stanley beng good destinations. It will probably not be until next spring that the car scene returns to any kind of normal. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
phiYAHeKNfnzqQabHrc0Y3IzMsYU4EhCi5oRlf8HKXamoxclAqmKqstKKJsakpgS