1 2
minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/31/18 2:05 p.m.

Red van is plated, insured, and being driven.  Put 200-ish miles on it over the weekend and went to C&C and Streetcar Takeover with it.  There are a few small things I need to look at, but so far seems to be running fine.  It's also been rainy the past week so I haven't got anything done to the rest of the fleet.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
9/2/18 4:39 p.m.

Status

Red van transmission went out after driving it for about 2 weeks, it's been parked and I've been pulling apart the black van so I can use the trans out of it to repair the red van.  Then hopefully start in on the black van.  Still no pictures.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/4/18 8:14 p.m.

lovely

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
2/24/19 8:55 a.m.

Update.

I've been working on the garage organization, but I've fell into the trap of working a lot of hours again.  Winter has been weird with anywhere from 50 degree weather to subzero, in the same week.  The HOA didn't like my art installation in the driveway and requested I not have inoperable vehicles in the driveway, so I'm working on making it all look like it might run right now.  I traded the Sundance for parts.  The Daytona is for sale, cheap. Like $300 cheap.  For not much more I could probably get you most of what you need to make it a runner.  I'm changing some plans so the space in the driveway would be nice.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/11/19 10:06 a.m.

I've finally purged the last bits of non turbo Mopar out of my life.

Left is a 2003 PT Cruiser GT 109K with an auto.  Right is a 2005 PT Cruiser GT 'vert Manual.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/14/19 9:09 p.m.

So first the status of my horde.

1990 Plymouth Voyager - 2.5 Turbo, Auto - After replacing the Transmission in March it decided to spin a rod bearing a month ago.

1989 Dodge Caravan - "2.5" Turbo, "Auto" - ripped the early 2.2/auto out of it to use the transmission on the Plymouth.

1989 Dodge Caravan - "2.5", Manual - Currently the "AWD" swap van, but that's changing soo.

1989 Dodge Daytona - 2.5 Turbo, Auto - roller that needs paint, pending sale.

2003 Ford Escape - 3.0, Auto - E36 M3box of the highest order that I'm hoping to be rid of soon

now the new additions.

2003 PT GT auto:

When I went to look at it, it ran and drove great, has a silver fender from previous accident and a bunch of pep boys stick on chrome.  Day after buying it, it started to misfire and threw a CEL for secondary ignition coil.  Had new coil pack, cam sensor, and wires.  Crap, they were chasing this problem already when they pawned it off on me :facepalm:. Switched the coil over from the 05 hoping it was just a crappy replacement coil, ran for 20 minutes then did the same thing.  I'm going to swap the cam and crank sensors with new mopar replacements, if that doesn't fix it I'll have to get a reman PCM according to the PT forums.

2005 PT GT Manual:

I mainly want this for the drivetrain.  I'll elaborate on that more later.  It also has the possibility of being a gastropod before I harvest the good bits.  The 5 speed in these is a getrag unit that's supposed to be the "good" manual.  Only issues with it so far are a bad A/C hose where the refrigerant is actually permeating from the hose, and a cam sensor CEL after replacing the coil pack and wires as part of a tuneup.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/15/19 5:23 a.m.

One of the first cars I thought of for gastropod was a PT cruiser. Bring it!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/15/19 6:20 a.m.
Robbie said:

Yes. Bring the PT and we can caravan all the way down to Gainesville.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/15/19 9:38 p.m.

One of the biggest issues is proving what I paid.  I can see if the ad for 1500 is still up, I paid 1300.  He put 500 on the title because Indiana charges sales tax based on the selling price put on the title.  Other than that I have 150 in a tune up (coil, wires, plugs) with the "good stuff" and just spend 40 on a used wot box so I can 2 step it for drag racing.  I don't want to put money into the suspension so I would have 510 bucks for wheels/tires since there is no recoup.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/21/19 7:42 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Robbie said:

Yes. Bring the PT and we can caravan all the way down to Gainesville.

I see what you did there....

The other thought is a last second thrash to do what I eventually plan to do, which is swap the drivetrain, brakes, and entire wiring harness into one of my caravans and drive it down there.  That will depend on whether or not I get the other PTs ignition problem figured out this week.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
12/18/19 9:45 p.m.

Another Status update although hasn't much changed

1990 Plymouth Voyager - 2.5 Turbo, Auto - After replacing the Transmission in March it decided to spin a rod bearing a month ago. Fixing then selling

1989 Dodge Caravan - "2.5" Turbo, "Auto" - ripped the early 2.2/auto out of it to use the transmission on the Plymouth. Fixing as my "toy"

1989 Dodge Caravan - "2.5", Manual - Currently the "AWD" swap van, but that's changing soo. Parting out :(

2003 Ford Escape - 3.0, Auto - E36 M3box of the highest order that I'm hoping to be rid of soon

2003 PT GT auto - Waiting on the $$ to replace the ECU

2005 PT GT Manual - Daily Driver

I ended up being out of work (I had a part time gig actually) until a couple of weeks ago.  We had multiple things happen that required me to have more time off than any job would have really given me so it had to happen that way.  This really kept me out of being able to work on anything during the best weather for doing so.  I also fell down the 3d printing rabbit hole pretty hard and spent most of my free time tinkering with that.  I've been knee deep in one project car or another and having the PT to drive and scratch the itch has really given me the desire to purge and back off of cars for awhile aka "cars are dumb". 

When I say I'm parting the silver van, what that means is I'm pulling all the parts necessary for the AWD swap and storing them until I want to tackle that again.  The black 89 is body wise in better shape, and I feel I'm a much better fabricator now than I was when I originally did some of the modifications to that shell and would almost consider the silver van as the test run for that setup now.

I haven't yet mentioned the truck in this thread, I have a 5.9/auto out of a heavy duty 1 ton that I plan on freshening up for it.

I also have another new obsession I'll post more about when I start to do more with it.  I'll also put some more about the 3d printing stuff if I remember.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/25/20 10:06 a.m.

Covid-19 extra time off status report

1990 Plymouth Voyager - 2.5 Turbo, Auto - Haven't had time to mess with it. Fixing then selling

1989 Dodge Caravan - "2.5" Turbo, "Auto" - Swapping the AWD drivetrain to this shell because it's nicer

1989 Dodge Caravan - "2.5", Manual - Parting out if it ever stays nice long enough

2003 Ford Escape - 3.0, Auto - I may actually keep it for another year or so since it seems to not have major problems and isn't worth selling angry

2003 PT GT auto - ECU fixed the running issues but the blower doors need to be fixed

2005 PT GT Manual - Needs a clutch master

1990 Dodge D150 - Forced into DD duties for now

I'm lucky enough to not be out of work, but they did cut my hours for the next two weeks during the "stay at home" order for Indiana.  Planning on cleaning the garage out today or Monday with the extra time off.  We've been doing Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace to try and kick all the debt out of our life but this whole virus thing is hampering that.  Maybe with all this extra time this spring with no events to go to I can get moving on some things finally. I've been getting more interested in woodworking/metal casting/ blacksmithing so that will be consuming more of my free time once the garage is in order.  I'm hoping to start posting videos of that kind of stuff along with some automotive content later this year.  My new full time gig I started in December deals with Fire Alarm and Sprinkler systems and the wife is a nurse so we are essential, but honestly IN gov's order is so broad almost everything that was already still open didn't get affected by it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KB1Bok4ytS1M2lAl1TWMPgHeVQPyjoS2iTxnXpqbyv1r2tzA4WX2sc0aE8Zaubn1