1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
7/29/22 7:07 p.m.
Rodan said:

But, I got it home safely.  The load?  1st gen Cologne style flares.  laugh

I thought the plan was gen3? Not complaining, I personally prefer the Gen 1 flares...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/22 11:03 p.m.

This showed up last week at the USAuto self serve in Sterling Heights MI:

their pic, not mine. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/30/22 12:42 a.m.

In reply to Gammaboy :

After much consideration, decided to go with Gen 1.  It will make it much easier to put together a realistically driveable wheel/tire package.  

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
7/31/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I don't know much about restoring Capris...but if you are keeping the stock seats...well, I know how to rebuild those top to bottom since I am using MKI seats in my '66 Mustang:

Before the restoration...the driver's seat in particular was in bad condition with most of the seat basket rotted away, distengrating foam etc.

After...I actually provided the original covers to lseat.com so they now have the pattern for facelift MK1 Capris(for the front seats anyway, I didn't have the rear covers to give them that pattern)...but they did a good job in black leather w/perforated leather inserts. The covers were the easy part though...it was the frame restoration and seat foam that was trickier.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
7/31/22 11:33 p.m.

Oh oh...! How much $$ and how long did they take...? Got a 55 Olds project that will disgrace this forum shortly....

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
8/1/22 8:58 a.m.
Agent98 said:

Oh oh...! How much $$ and how long did they take...? Got a 55 Olds project that will disgrace this forum shortly....

The seat covers? If you provide a pattern they don't have, you get 50% off the covers. It did take 4 months from the time I sent them the covers until I received my new ones, retail was $350 for the front buckets...since I provided an original pattern I got them for $175. I assume a full front/rear set would cost $600 or so if they already have the pattern.

P.S. They are not very good at communication, they don't answer the phone and only reply to email about once a week...but if you have the patience they do good work.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
8/2/22 12:39 p.m.

Since we like Capris here, here's something for you all to nerd out on... laugh

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/2/22 1:10 p.m.

One thing I noticed right away on that RS3100 (at least I believe it's an RS3100, maybe it didn't get a clear designation like that) is that it's converted to frameless door glass vs. a normal Capri.  Kind of surprised they would bother to do that as I'm going to assume that street RS cars still had frames around the glass.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
8/2/22 3:03 p.m.

I did notice that and since that car has a been a racecar for many years I figured either the window frames had been cut off and the top of the doors welded, or they were fiberglass doors.

I don't believe it was an RS3100, as they said it was a North America car, but IIRC they said it was a factory race car from the start.  

FerrinMotorsports
FerrinMotorsports New Reader
10/13/22 5:48 p.m.

...Beautiful car...

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
10/13/22 6:18 p.m.

I know the both the former owner and present owner.  The car was built by Ford in the UK using a Cologne V6 with Westlake cylinder heads. It was raced in the US in the Trans Am and IMSA series a few times in 1973.  The car moved around for a number of years after that. In the early 90's it was purchased by Ross Bremer who ran it in vintage races for nearly 26 years. It was then purchased by the present owner, Norm Murdock of Team Blitz in 2018. He ran it with the Cologne engine until he was lucky enough to find a Ford GAA DOHC V6 new in the crate. The video is the first time on track for the car with it's new drive train. I was in Bowing Green, KY just a couple of weeks ago where I saw the car with it's new engine. I first saw it at Watkins Glen in 2012 when Ross Bremer was running it in vintage. Even got to fix some fiberglass body work with racers tape when Ross hit a spinning 914.  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/18/22 8:50 p.m.

Long day today, more tomorrow.   For now, I'm just going to leave this here....

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
11/18/22 9:16 p.m.

Wow!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
11/18/22 9:17 p.m.

Oh snap!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/19/22 5:46 p.m.

Another long day today.... 

So... last weekend a friend sends me a CL ad for a '71 Capri race car at a price that's impossible to pass up.  I email the guy, and he says the car is sold, but he has all these parts he'd still like to sell.  I tell him I have a different drivetrain planned for my '74, and the parts wouldn't interest me without the car (this will make sense in a minute).  He emails me back with a package price for the car and all the parts and basically says he'll give the other guy his deposit back (he didn't want the parts, just the car) if I'll take it all.  I decided to go for it and here we are...

Picked the car up yesterday, and unloaded everything today.  First, the car:

1971 Capri, set up as a track car, but still titled/licensed.

The paint job is 20/20 racecar, not great, but presentable.  And now comes the fun part... 2L Cosworth YBM engine... laugh

Did I mention it's a dry sump setup?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork

The suspension is also set up well...  you already saw the camber plates up front, it also has coilovers.

In the rear, a torque arm 8" Ford with panhard bar and coilovers.

It's rolling on 15x8s with 225/45-15 Federals at the moment, with Wilwood brakes all-'round

Also has Wilwood master with remote reservoirs and Wilwood pedal set.

And a fuel cell...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork

Interior is basic race car... 1.5" DOM cage, basic gauges and switch panel.  Also has a fire system installed.

The seats are eBay specials, but it's somewhere to sit for the moment.  Belts also need to be replaced.

There are a few things I would have done differently, and a few things I'll be changing, but overall this car is better put together than many of the cars I see at the track.  Very well done overall.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork

And now the other half... I got a ton (literally, like 2000lbs) of spares/parts with the car.

A full set of Gen 1 Colone flares, so I think I have the world's supply in my storage unit now...

And here's some of the rest...

The truck and trailer were literally full to capacity...

Spare Cossie head/cams, 2L Lima engine, 3 Lima heads, 4 transmissions (one a Quaife Rocket Box), a bunch of 13" wheels, etc, etc, etc....  I'm going to have to do an inventory at some point to figure out just what all I have.

It wasn't cheap, but the whole package was well under what the two BAT sale Capris posted earlier in the thread sold for, so I think I did OK.

First task is to fix the jetting in the Webers, as it was set up very rich.  Fortunately, I have a few Weber parts (plus a spare set of 45s, and a set of 48s)...  

And my first choice for a vanity plate was available  cheeky

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
11/19/22 6:30 p.m.

Nice find! I am envious!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/19/22 6:56 p.m.

Wow!  That looks very well built.  Are you going to make it more street/less race car?  Or keep it as a track car and build the other one into the street car?

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/19/22 7:09 p.m.

Yup, that's very cool. I didn't realize I wanted one of these until I read through this.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/19/22 8:04 p.m.

Dang!

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
11/19/22 11:53 p.m.

A very nice package of car and parts. The only reason I can think of for the former owner to go with a Ford 9 inch is the ability to change final drive ratios as the stock Ford Atlas rear diff. is quite capable of handling the power that engine puts out. I've seen Capri's that had a V8 swaps and kept the stock rear with no issues. But I do have to admit that my friends and I did swap in a Ford 8 inch into a Capri for the ease of using alternate final drive ratios. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/20/22 12:03 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I think I'm going to keep this one about where it's at.  I need to get it baselined and tuned for now, and then just drive it a bit to see how it works.  It's well put together, so I don't want to change too much until I have some seat time.  It does need different seats, and new harnesses, and I'm not a big fan of the taped rollbar padding, so that will eventually get addressed.

I never really cared much for the style of flares that are on it, so it may get a set of the Cologne flares and a repaint.  I really like the Cossie setup, but it's the first thing I've had with 4 wheels and carbs since the 1990s.  I'll be hard pressed not to swap it over to an EFI setup.  Jenvey makes a nice set of throttle bodies that looks just like DCOEs...

The other car will probably end up more 'street' car, but I'm not going to be putting much effort into it until this one is sorted.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
11/20/22 12:30 a.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

There's also the fun of finding, and paying for, an LSD diff for the Atlas.  9" has many options in comparison.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
11s360LWtoREKTQaVER6hx75F5e0GFCarxSwIhuuTXiGrR9dqNVqL5FfWYgw78Oa