1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/1/22 7:50 p.m.

Glamour shot with the airbox off...

The airbox had to come off so I could get an air meter on the horns to check the carb balance.  It was an utter PITA to get off.  I think it's getting individual filters...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/1/22 8:02 p.m.

I was able to back calculate from my notes and determine the ratios in the manual posted by JoeTR6 and specs posted by pres589 are correct for the Type F box:

1st - 3.65

2nd - 1.97

3rd - 1.37

4th - 1.00

I think I've got the main jetting dialed.  Car feels good.  Still need to work on the transitions a bit, after I go back and check the idle circuits and balance the carbs.  Also need to check the timing.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
12/2/22 1:47 a.m.

Very cool car! I saw your post on Miata.net, guess we have excellent taste in car forums.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/2/22 9:24 a.m.

In reply to RacerBoy75 :

Thanks, and welcome!

My Miata thread here may interest you as well:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-miata-experience-his-and-hers/124064/page1/

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
12/2/22 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

individual filters will kill the airflow, far better to keep the airbox. To make it easier to get the filter off though, you could always use a quick-release type backing plate though like Jenvey uses for most of their common-bank setups...hell, they probably sell one for cossie engines with Webers

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/2/22 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

Thanks, I'll look into that.

On this setup the filter is actually behind the headlight.  Getting the airbox off required removing about 8 screws, which were difficult to get to, that held the airbox to the backing plate.  Then the velocity stacks had to be removed from the carbs to get the airbox out, and then the backing plate could come off.  PITA.  Assembly wouldn't clear the studs for the velocity stack retention, and airbox side wouldn't come off with the stacks in place.  Ooof.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
12/3/22 12:43 a.m.

One of Jenvey's backing plates:

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bodies-and-components/air-boxes/airbox-bplate-standard-size-abb20-xx

This one is fairly generic and meant for a common air filter setup rather than an actual airbox, but you get the idea. They do sell full airbox kits(minus cone filter) in carbo fiber no less...but of course, being Jenvey it can get fairly expensive.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/4/22 12:41 p.m.

Had to make the first custom tool for the Capri...

Not enough room between the trumpets and inner fender to get an air meter in there, so I found an appropriately sized radiator hose at the local auto parts and did some surgery.

Now I can balance the carbs.

I also installed a little longer trumpet out of the parts that I have.  According to what I've been able to find online, it's still about an inch short of ideal for this engine, but they're the longest I have that will fit back in the airbox, if I decide to stick with it.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/4/22 12:53 p.m.

One issue I'm having is the oil pump is leaking, rather badly.

As near as I can tell without any documentation, the pump is a Titan, which still available as a "series 2" from several sellers.  What I have not been able to find are any manuals or parts diagrams for the pump.  It appears to be leaking from what I believe to be the pressure adjustment screw, marked with the arrow in the pic below.

If I can find time this week, I'm going to try to make some phone calls and see if I can get ahold of the manufacturer to find out how to remedy this.  Until then, anyone have any ideas?

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
12/7/22 11:51 p.m.

I thought you might find this mildly interesting:

https://www.perana.org/capriv8.asp

I found this paragraph the most interesting:

"To accommodate the V8 engine's larger sump the steering rack was changed for an inverted left hand drive rack mounted on the back of a modified front cross member. The front struts were swapped from side to side to relocate the steering arms." Seems a lot of effort to work around a front sump oil pan, but I would never have though to invert a LHD steering rack to achieve a different pinion angle.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/9/22 2:50 p.m.

Got the vanity plate...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/12/23 9:45 a.m.

Getting ready to tackle the oil leak from the dry sump pump.  An email to the manufacturer proved them to be as useless as their website....  a pump they've had in production for decades has no available manual or parts diagrams.  Their solution was to ship it to England for them to rebuild it at about 75% of the cost of a new pump.

Fortunately, Pegasus Racing in the US sells the pumps, and suggested a rubber coated washer under the locknut at the cost of less than $1.

Got the parts in-hand so it's just a matter of getting to it.  It will get an oil change at the same time.  Our NA needs some event prep first, however...

On another note, after a month, about a dozen emails, and jumping through some hoops to get my cell phone to make international calls, I finally have some wheels on the way... 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/12/23 6:43 p.m.

Moved the cars around so I could get the NA Miata up on stands for inspection and brake bleeding.

This is how much oil leaked from the Capri since the first week in December:

Took a pic of the 'herd' while all three were outside.  NB Miata is in the trailer at the storage yard while the NA is in the garage.

Once the NA is done, the Capri will be going up on stands.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/18/23 8:10 p.m.

Capri wheels arrived today...

There aren't too many wheels I love more than Minilites!  laugh

I think these will fill out the flares nicely...

15x10 in the back, 15x9 up front...

Hopefully I can get some tires on the way next week.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/19/23 9:14 a.m.

Love Minilite on red Ford products!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/19/23 11:27 a.m.

Got the NA down off the stands and rolled it out so I could do a quick test fit on the Capri...  25*F right now... Brrr.

Rear inside looks good...

Rear outside looks good... it should tuck pretty nicely inside the fairly large lip on the flare.   

Front was a little tight on the inside (forgot to take a pic), but I have room for a little more spacer if necessary.

Overall, I think it's going to look pretty good...

For tires, I'm leaning toward Azenis RT660 at the moment...  this isn't going to get any serious track work for a long time so I don't want to put a bundle (Rivals, Toyos, Hohos...) into tires just now, and the RT660 should provide plenty of grip for this car's mission when the time comes.  There aren't exactly a lot of choices in 225/45-15 // 245/40-15 combos.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
1/19/23 3:27 p.m.

A Capri with Minilites....beautiful!

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/23 5:42 p.m.

Beautiful car!

Please continue!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
1/21/23 9:43 a.m.

Curious to see how the washer works.   My experience with them has been just ok. The rubber can tear if you crank it too hard (if the nut is turning directly against it)

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/21/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. 

I hope to get some cars shuffled around today since the snow has stopped for a few days, and get the Capri up on stands.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/23/23 7:51 p.m.

It took a couple of days, but I finally got the Capri up on stands.

I'm going to try to address 3 projects while it's up... address the oil leak and change the oil; refresh the brakes with new pads, flush/bleed; and address the 3rd member leak, changing gearing to 4.11.

There's also some sketchy rear wheel spacers I'd like to replace.

Interestingly, the rear calipers on the Capri are the same 4 piston, radial mount Wilwoods I have on the front of our NA Miata.  Edit:  no, they're not... Miata has Dynapro, Capri rears are Dynalite.... look identical but the Dynalites are a bit smaller.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/23 6:36 a.m.

My dad had a 1974 Capri when I was a kid.  I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.  Still love them.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 9:19 a.m.

i've always had the hots for one of these.  maybe someday.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/25/23 10:03 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

If you're serious, don't wait too long.   Capris are getting thin on the ground in the US, and prices are climbing.  It took me a LONG time to find the car (restorable shell, lol) that started this thread, and the red '71 was pure luck.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

My seriousness is matched only by my lack of time space and money. :-(

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rjeXPBSTFfYtRF3iNtex8Zh6ILdyvqf7xYq2i7tpa7ylP4oPHbwPWZfmsSnFslX4