1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/29/20 8:48 p.m.

This was my "structure building" for today.  Built from scratch/sheet styrene.  

Kazookid2 wanted his grandparent's house on his layout.  I'm pretty happy with it so far. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/29/20 8:55 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Looking good. I love it how you are attempting to make the layout that is in your son's head. I have an advantage because I am trying to make the one in my head.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/29/20 9:00 p.m.

Working on re-creating this for my next build:

Building was built in 1936 and razed in 1965. It served as a passenger station for both the UP and the NP. The UP ended passenger service to the town sometime back in the 50's and the NP started using what was originally a freight depot for passengers at some point, but in my layout the building will still be there. I'm thinking I will also build the NP depot as well and maybe this building was saved by some historical preservation group or a model railroad club or something. I just like this building too much to not have it on my layout.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/29/20 10:36 p.m.

Here is the start. Nothing glued yet. Just test fitting so far. I made the double windows on either side of the door single windows just to keep the width down a bit since it sits between the UP and NP tracks. These are just some 3D printed walls for now. I have a sheet of styrene bricks, but it is thin enough that it would be better with some support, so I think I may be able to use these 3d printed walls as the structure and then use the bricks as a veneer. I have pictures of three of the four sides of the actual building and bad pictures of the blueprints. The four 2 story walls are each different. Strangely enough, the NP portion has large freight doors on both sides while the UP portion has no doors. Looks like the double doors in the center were how passengers left the station to board trains.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/31/20 11:44 a.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to T.J. :

Another option is to do exterior lighting rather than interior.  Not pushing WS stuff because it's pretty pricey, but these are pretty cool, and probably more period correct for what you're building than for our project.  Woodland Scenics  5658 Gooseneck Wall Mount Light - Just Plug(TM) -- pkg(2)   (SCALE=N)  Part # 785-5658

So, looking to see if there was a more affordable option for lights similar to these, I came across https://www.ngineering.com/n-scale_gooseneck_kit.htm.

This kit is for 8 lights for $35, so it seems like a bargain compared to WS, but there is a catch. These are not assembled lights, you build them from a kit. Seems like it would be a tough build in N scale. If I really want the lights, I think I will end up buying some of the WS ones that come ready to install.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/20 6:46 p.m.

So, here is the current progress on my station build. All walls are painted, windows and doors are painted  The trim is painted.  About ready to start gluing  

I have several drawings and black and white pictures of the station from back in the day, but only one color picture. In that one, the station is in the background, but that gave me a color to shoot for for the bricks.

It is the building in the background to the right of the train.

The building on the left is another one I plan to build. It was the NP freight depot, but turned into the station at some point after UP stopped passenger service.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 7:07 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

That looks great with some color on it. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/20 7:56 p.m.

Thanks.

I ended up 3d printing the trim pieces because the details were too small for me to cut them out accurately out of styrene. They are 0.4mm thick pieces. One piece of trim for each of the 8 walls. They were easy to print but hard to remove from the printer without damaging them. Since I don't have gray filament, I printed them in black and spray painted them with some gray Rust-oleum paint/primer to try to make them look like concrete.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/20 8:54 p.m.

Once I glue the walls together I then need to figure out the roof, the chimney and the 4 dormers. 

I am planning on making the roof sections for the two end parts first, getting them fit up and then from there figuring out the middle roof. Then the dormers. The good news is that all four should be identical.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/2/20 1:30 p.m.
T.J. said:

Working on re-creating this for my next build:

Here is the current status as I figure out the roof situation. Got to clean up some of the details, but just trying to get an idea how it will look at the end.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/2/20 1:51 p.m.

Here is the only picture I have of the opposite side of the building.

The freight doors and the main entrance doors look like they were painted white. Not too happy about some of the mistakes I made. The good news is that other than the windows and doors, I could just make another version and try to do better the second time if I want to.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/3/20 8:25 p.m.

Here is an update on the opposite side:

Roof is still the temporary test pieces. This time I didn't rush when applying the trim pieces and used a slow drying glue to they were repositionable. The other side I rushed that step and used super glue and this messed up the trim pieces in several areas.

T.J.(Adrian_Thompson Supporter)
T.J.(Adrian_Thompson Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/20 8:42 p.m.

Haven't made any progress in the last few days. Got to finish some of the little things, then get the roof pieces actually cut. Once I have the roof done, I can work on dormers and chimney.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9i9nzAjxe23epJV6wwlDXAR6TgYIQ9Znc9dpJqylFaYyE8YN4vroyntyF38wWRCv